Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Model Mayhem V

Typhoon Tip

1 minute ago, powderfreak said:

Yeah I feel like highs have been 10F to even 20F higher than even short range guidance this week.  It's been crazy...and not just one day but like 3-4 in a row now.

The 2m stuff is a complete joke. I mean at least MOS was spitting out mid to upper 50s. The op GFS was only about 30F too cold for a 6hr forecast. :lol:

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Is it the snowpack it has problems with?  Like there's snow on the ground so the model halts all mixing below like 925mb?  

No idea. I mean, it used to struggle with sensing snowpack. There's really no excuse with keeping a 50mb layer adjacent to the sfc decoupled all afternoon like that with clear skies and low RH above the shallow inversion with SW flow down to the surface. 

1 hour ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Now that's it's ripe with no freezing until Sunday night.. she's gone. Gone like your undies in Ptown!

you mean gone like your man-virginity at a rest stop on 84?

the open fields on my land are half-melted due to their angle towards the increasing sun.  The woods and shady areas will still be snow covered Monday.

what the heck is the Nam doing with the squall line flip to heavy snow

Reminds of something it did when it was the ETA. It was 72 one day in Feb and by the end of the day it was heavy snow. I remember (about 13 yrs or so ago) it was the only model showing this and it turned out to be right. We recieved a few inches.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, USCG RS said:

Reminds of something it did when it was the ETA. It was 72 one day in Feb and by the end of the day it was heavy snow. I remember (about 13 yrs or so ago) it was the only model showing this and it turned out to be right. We recieved a few inches.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Yea its pretty crazy and on its own

1 hour ago, tamarack said:

Had 24" snowstorms in March both years in NNJ - 18-19, 1956 and 21-22, 1958.  First was 20s powder, 2nd was 31-32 paste.

34" at the stake this morning, will probably be under 30 by Sunday afternoon.  But nobody lives there.  ;)

Yes that's what I remember about '58-it was paste and given the calendar date somehow seemed less impactful.  March of 1960 showed me a dud winter can roar back to life quickly.

8 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Is it the snowpack it has problems with?  Like there's snow on the ground so the model halts all mixing below like 925mb?  

7 hours ago, dendrite said:

No idea. I mean, it used to struggle with sensing snowpack. There's really no excuse with keeping a 50mb layer adjacent to the sfc decoupled all afternoon like that with clear skies and low RH above the shallow inversion with SW flow down to the surface. 

It's the snow cover in the model. If you find model snow depth at 0 hour, you'll see the odd 2 m temp anomalies are where the model says there's snow. There may also be an issue with the winter equations vs. summer (that will flip sometime next month). 

I mean there is a difference between checking to see if there's snow on the ground and reducing mixing, and this (which appears to be a more binary yes/no on mixing with snow on the ground). 

5 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Any mets comment on cold/stormy pattern later next week and beyond..

Cautiously optimistic. My hunch is that is pattern that strongly favors miller b cyclogenesis with best chances impacting eastern sections of NNE, particularly ME, due to disturbances not amplifying much until hitting the GOM. 

10 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

There's seriously people who think the torch continues unabated from here on out. You feel embarrassed for them 

It's the public. They rush for winter to end after the holidays anyway. They don't know anything about met and climo so who cares?

8 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

I don't see anything that screams a return to deep winter though.  Still looks AN

After Morch 4th or so there's a BN 7-10 day period modeled. That doesn't mean a week of 20's as normals are in the 40's. 

Late Morch the furnace returns for good. So it's a fairly short window 

Archived