joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Model Mayhem V

Typhoon Tip

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

..ye -heah... then it's March 03 and we're still waiting for this 'it's not over'...

followed by the inevitable '..plenty can happen after March 07' that we're still waiting for on April 4th... Oh, it snows a gloppy inch on the 10th ...then, we have an early run at 90s that terms into the hottest summer on record for the OV/NE region... 

while we're waiting for 'it's not over' to finally kick in.. 

J/k... but seriously.. the point of the antithesis to the 'it's not over' is, not ignoring the writing on the wall. that's all.  it may not be - okay.  it probably isn't. sure.  

but, i think the hand throwing is really based upon a sort of unconscious acceptance there. it's been a pulling teeth this year despite season snow totals... the winter has seemingly gone out of its way to create an affectation of sh*ttiness...more exercises in humility and longing than anything else.  and everything anyone says to try and offset that comes off as bargaining and bs; probably annoys the winter enthusiastic base. face it, it's sucked.  let's call it what it is.. we've had 2 1/2 weeks that didn't suck.  book ended by 2 months that did, and now a minimum of 10 days on the other end (we'll see where she goes - probably not 'down')

and therein, it gets understandably harder to imagine as we turn the solar page and start climbing out of the annual insolation nadir, that there is a destiny in this that includes 'it's not over'.  

12 minutes ago, weathafella said:

You have your years wrong John.  March and April 2003 were strong as was the entire winter.

I think he meant to say "March 3rd" and "March 7th". 

But yeah, I get that guidance isn't showing a parade of coastal nukes and a massive PNA+ and huge -AO. But I'm not sure it's even really possible to say it's over at our latitude on February 21st. Guidance could be showing 70s for all of next week and you still wouldn't be able to say much about the chances for more large snow events other than reduce the overall chance a little bit because we simply waste another week. But that still only gets us to like March 3rd or 4th in that hypothetical scenario. ..and the current scenario isn't as dire for snow lovers. We are gonna have to dodge cutter potential but we will likely have chances. 

15 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Euro looks good

Looked crappy to me verbatim. Big cutter on March 1st. But it's possible that becomes an overrunning event instead if the energy is ejected in pieces or we can form a little split flow north of it. It tries to give a weak wave the day before but it kind of fizzles. 

NCEP's not buying any idea of winter reloading next week - fyi.  pretty much the opposite ...

They're pretty clearly hedging that the Sunday big frontal sweep turns right back around two days later.   Euro's been more than less banging that idea that last couple of cycles...

But the operational GFS has been trying to use progressive flow to crush the southern height wall more which then bleeds cold further SE and really sort of sets up an entirely different look for it's extended comparatively.  

2 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

I can't shake this sinking feeling that we endure no snow and AN warmth most of March and then get an anomalous cold snap to destroy the buds on the fruit trees heading into April followed by weeks of cutoff lows. 

Hopefully we get an April 1987 after a week of 90F. 

1 hour ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Snowy

Lol every post you make saying it looks wintry or snowy...the METS say the opposite!  

I know, I know, it's how you get them to open up and say what modeling is really showing. And to try and stimulate conversation, in an otherwise dull winter period...I get that. But wouldn't it be easier just to ask what modeling is showing, rather than just throwing statements out that are inaccurate? 

9 hours ago, Brian5671 said:

-PNA, SE Ridge from hell and no ATL blocking.  

2 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

Canada is dam cold, but the SE ridge is overwhelming the east. The west and Plains will have a harsh visit from old man winter. We need that ridge to either weaken, get -NAO blocking, or get the -EPO ridge to shift east. If that doesn't work, then you hope for a well timed event.

Scott, I think that's the key. Tamp that down a bit and a -PNA/SE ridge combo is +QPF around these parts. And as Will said, there is cold lurking nearby. We could hit it right like December and end up +snowfall just as easily as -snowfall. 

8 hours ago, WinterWolf said:

Lol every post you make saying it looks wintry or snowy...the METS say the opposite!  

I know, I know, it's how you get them to open up and say what modeling is really showing. And to try and stimulate conversation, in an otherwise dull winter period...I get that. But wouldn't it be easier just to ask what modeling is showing, rather than just throwing statements out that are inaccurate? 

How is saying the word"snowy" an inaccurate statement? It's just a word

Archived