Typhoon Tip

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

YTD in SNE

Most are closing in on climo.

http://942ACB5E-4019-466D-BFA8-FE18CF3224EB_zps

That 36.8 in Norwich might be a little low...although I did have a couple of events in December where I got lucky got more IMBY than areas close by.

Anyway, currently way over my full winter average snowfall for this area which is only a little over 30".

11 hours ago, Damage In Tolland said:

YTD in SNE

Most are closing in on climo.

http://942ACB5E-4019-466D-BFA8-FE18CF3224EB_zps

I'm still anticipating a sub-average season here in GC.  The torch that's upon us will further diminish my enthusiasm for this winter.   Pit2 is a different story of course.  I'll be heading up there in a few hours.   It won't be the same as seeing it freshly fallen, but it should still look impressive just the same.

9 hours ago, dendrite said:

IMG_6980.JPG

Epic mud-season forecast for Dryslot.

19 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Based on the 11-15 day ENS  the cutter and severe wx threat next weekend totally reshapes the pattern and brings deep winter back starting around the 27th or so

Maybe.  But you might want to hedge that bet and walk the shoulder of 84 to see if you can score some lesco from the turned over truck.  You could be putting down your spring treatment sooner than you think.

Also, we're now moving into the territory where increasing sun angle comes into play.  Today's equates with October 22nd.

2 hours ago, moneypitmike said:

I'm still anticipating a sub-average season here in GC.  The torch that's upon us will further diminish my enthusiasm for this winter.   Pit2 is a different story of course.  I'll be heading up there in a few hours.   It won't be the same as seeing it freshly fallen, but it should still look impressive just the same.

Epic mud-season forecast for Dryslot.

Always is.  ;)
However, any flooding will hinge on April wx.  Snowpack certainly can augment floods - just ask those in Fort Kent in April 2008 - but the snow by itself won't bring major floods; that requires the addition of significant rain.  The classic illustration of snow-only non-flood was in 2001, when western Maine mts to foothills had +/-4' of dense snowpack on March 31 and floods seemed inevitable.  Then April was mainly dry with most days reaching 45-50+ from lows in the 20-25 range.  By late month the talk had switched to drought.

1 hour ago, tamarack said:

Always is.  ;)
However, any flooding will hinge on April wx.  Snowpack certainly can augment floods - just ask those in Fort Kent in April 2008 - but the snow by itself won't bring major floods; that requires the addition of significant rain.  The classic illustration of snow-only non-flood was in 2001, when western Maine mts to foothills had +/-4' of dense snowpack on March 31 and floods seemed inevitable.  Then April was mainly dry with most days reaching 45-50+ from lows in the 20-25 range.  By late month the talk had switched to drought.

I'm hoping for April 1987.

26 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

I'm hoping for April 1987.

I have to admit... I have a sickening morbid fascination for floods...  Not sure why. 

My impression of those who covet the vision of ice encased trees and power lines, with blue/green crackling transformers that rain yellow sparks while people scramble to keep pipes from freezing ... are stupid, douchy f'ing idiots.

But what does that say about me, then, when I find the Nation's midriff event of the 1990s, or the Merrimack Valley around Mother's Day 2005 utterly transfixing? 

Heh, as a human being (to which I might actually qualify...) hypocrisy is a right I equally covet - heh!

6 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

I have to admit... I have a sickening morbid fascination for floods...  Not sure why. 

My impression of those who covet the vision of ice encased trees and power lines, with blue/green crackling transformers that rain yellow sparks while people scramble to keep pipes from freezing ... are stupid, douchy f'ing idiots.

But what does that say about me, then, when I find the Nation's midriff event of the 1990s, or the Merrimack Valley around Mother's Day 2005 utterly transfixing? 

Heh, as a human being (to which I might actually qualify...) hypocrisy is a right I equally covet - heh!

I'm with you....the power of water...seeing areas that you know are dry and could never imagine as raging torrents of water, is fascinating.  

28 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

21 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

I'm with you....the power of water...seeing areas that you know are dry and could never imagine as raging torrents of water, is fascinating.  

Even without abnormal warmth or rain there is always a week of spring freshet that is awesome at Turners Falls damn on the CT River. 

ORH could get 0 more snow and still be very close to normal for the winter. A couple of blockbusters in March (always a distinct possibility--even April can produce a significant snow storm  or two) and we could go to well above normal. 

As for February warm ups, I recall many of them back in the 70's and 80's when I was a kid and moaned over the loss of snow like some of the kids on this board. I still don't like em (though it would be a big fat lie to say that I hated hearing the birds singing outside my window this morning or that I will despise wearing a sweatshirt when I go out today into the mild air). Yup, hope old man winter comes back with a vengeance and the long awaited three day storm of 1888, 1978, 1969 all rolled into one slips up the east coast, stalls and does curly cues over the bench mark.

But whatever, I'm an old guy now and it really does come down to weather being weather and, AGW doomsayers aside, climate is really just climate. It evens out in the end.

14 hours ago, codfishsnowman said:

the 38.7 just north of me seems kind of low too, I am almost five inches higher and if anything I may have under measured by an inch or so

CEF has over 46. I'm just shy of 48 and according to ABC 40 climo here is 50.

6 hours ago, moneypitmike said:

Maybe.  But you might want to hedge that bet and walk the shoulder of 84 to see if you can score some lesco from the turned over truck.  You could be putting down your spring treatment sooner than you think.

Also, we're now moving into the territory where increasing sun angle comes into play.  Today's equates with October 22nd.

yup, no more leaving groceries in the car for an hour or two while doing errands

8 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

70 looking likely on Thursday and maybe Friday this week, and then a big severe wx outbreak Saturday before winter's return for Torch. Evolution back to one final fun 2 week period clearly seen now on ensembles

I wouldn't say clearly. I clearly see the risk for cutters.

7 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

I wouldn't say clearly. I clearly see the risk for cutters.

Well that risk is there in just about every pattern. Certainly a pattern with snow chances after next weekend as cold sloshes back east. Maybe they're swfe, but anything better than This weeks days of 50's, 60's and 70's

Archived