SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Model Mayhem V

Typhoon Tip

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm still optimistic for NNE over the next week or so.  Look at the huge difference in sensible weather from the 12z GFS and GGEM runs for NNE.  

There's a good chance that one of these systems doesn't cut as shown and deepens enough for decent snowfall for at least the ski areas.

9 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Are the scores the same then? Seems like they are lower than several years ago or so. 

It actually continues to improve....but it's never been close to something like a 3-4 day forecast. Expectations are just different than they were 5+ years ago. We used to weenie tag people posting 144 hour storms on here...now people start threads for D6 threats.

ps2png-atls15-95e2cf679cd58ee9b4db4dd119

1 hour ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Well that proves it's a case of weenies expecting more from living in the hi tech era. It does better yet the non statistical viewpoint is that it does not. 

I think an easy way to describe it is...think of the confidence in a 3 day forecast from 1987....that is about how you should feel on a 5 day forecast now.

I don't think many felt all that confident in 3 day forecasts in 1987, so you shouldn't feel any different on a 5 day forecast in 2017.

Monday could actually be kind of a sneaky chilly day with the BDF.

But I'd watch Wednesday as a torch day too...we'll see. It's 6 days out, so it could change, but we may have a low to our north in Quebec trying to give us westerly flow with warm thicknesses. I think the period Feb 24-26 should be watched...could be a overrunning/SWFE type system if it goes right.

Archived