Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Sunday SWFE..Monday Coastal?

CoastalWx

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, weathafella said:

I think BOS gets 6+ but the potential runs from a water laden 4-7 to 12+.  Tomorrow will determine the outcome.  OES in the AM and keeping the waa mostly snow would be best obviously.

I don't think we can have a beast like this 100 miles east of Boston without having some crazy azz band pounding you guys.  Think back to 2/15/15, when the killer band was not well modeled until the night before...I believe RGEM nailed it first.  I like 15" for greater Boston.

from where I'm sitting this cycle of the NAM was about mid way between the 06z and the 12z in terms of particulars...

I don't think these variations mean a whole helluva lot - kind of like 'giga motions' as we close in.

It is possible that there is some very slight initialization difference that slightly perturbs this weaker on the off's but again ...even if so, the difference don't appear to offer any effective difference of meaning to the sensible/material impact of this thing.

40+ MPH gust enveloping an area of 10" vs 15" won't make any difference at all..   ... 12 vs 18... 8 vs 12... whatever.

My office (law firm) is in North Andover, and I need to kind of make a decision now as to whether we're going to open the office on Monday morning, because if not, I need to let my employees know so they can get some things done tomorrow that they won't be able to do from home on Monday.   What do you all think?  Is it a pipe dream to think we'll be able to get in on Monday?  

31 minutes ago, FRWEATHA said:

I know you answered my question earlier about moving my flight from Monday to tomorrow. I'm coming in on an international flight. So can't do PVD. So what day would be best for Logsn?

OK, understood. If you absolutely have to come into BOS, based on what people (who know far more about meteorology than I) are saying here, I would come in tomorrow. The weather conditions will likely be better on late Monday afternoon but I would be afraid of getting caught up in flight delay madness as the airlines scramble to make up for the hundreds of delayed and cancelled flights from late Sunday night and earlier Monday.

Do you have the option of switching to a NYC airport, say JFK? If so, I would come in tomorrow, head to Grand Central, and Amtrak it.

PS After looking at some of the guidance, definitely come in tomorrow rather than Monday if you have the choice.

1 minute ago, Dotb said:

My office (law firm) is in North Andover, and I need to kind of make a decision now as to whether we're going to open the office on Monday morning, because if not, I need to let my employees know so they can get some things done tomorrow that they won't be able to do from home on Monday.   What do you all think?  Is it a pipe dream to think we'll be able to get in on Monday?  

Let them know tomorrow.  Too soon now to decide.

2 minutes ago, Dotb said:

It's going to be a nightmare to get anywhere Monday. The AM commute will be an absolute trainwreck

1 minute ago, weathafella said:

Let them know tomorrow.  Too soon now to decide.

I just hate having to drop stuff on them on the weekends without warning.  I'd rather tell them today to plan on coming in tomorrow than to wait until tomorrow and mess up any plans they have set up.  Of course, it'd be nice if folks just had the initiative to do it without the "gentle reminders," but I swear half of them don't know a storm is coming until the first 3-4 inches have already hit the ground. 

5 minutes ago, Dotb said:

It will be worse than Thursday's storm

2 minutes ago, Morch Madness said:

It's going to be a nightmare to get anywhere Monday. The AM commute will be an absolute trainwreck

Thanks.  I closed the office on Thursday, and probably should have had folks come in until 11:00-12:00 and then sent them home.  I just wasn't sure if this was a same type of thing, timing-wise, as that storm.  If it's going to already be bad come Monday morning, I think I'm going to start making calls soon about folks coming in for a short while tomorrow. 

3 minutes ago, Dotb said:

I just hate having to drop stuff on them on the weekends without warning.  I'd rather tell them today to plan on coming in tomorrow than to wait until tomorrow and mess up any plans they have set up.  Of course, it'd be nice if folks just had the initiative to do it without the "gentle reminders," but I swear half of them don't know a storm is coming until the first 3-4 inches have already hit the ground. 

Maybe you should respect the fact it's the weekend and their Sunday off, and just let them have both tomorrow and Monday off if the storm is going to be bad. It's not like the weather is their fault; they shouldn't be forced to work Sunday just because weather dictates closures Monday.

The madness of the go-go-go mentality in the US.

3 minutes ago, Modfan said:

So, how does SNE look in all this, Worcester south....Are they still looking for 8-12

Well I certainly wouldn't lump in ORH with central CT in this....I think northeast CT is good for 8-10 anyway...maybe a foot. We'll see how much it thumps. Once you get to central CT, there may be ptype issues at some point. 

ORH may catch some of the CCB on Monday. Perhaps NE CT...tho I think the bigger impact from that would be in NE MA. The main show though for most in SNE will be tomorrow and tomorrow night.

4 minutes ago, Dotb said:

Thanks.  I closed the office on Thursday, and probably should have had folks come in until 11:00-12:00 and then sent them home.  I just wasn't sure if this was a same type of thing, timing-wise, as that storm.  If it's going to already be bad come Monday morning, I think I'm going to start making calls soon about folks coming in for a short while tomorrow. 

You did the right thing thursday.

25 miles north in Londonderry NH there was 2in/Hr snows  between 9 and noon, that extended WSW into Route 2 mass. You cant really pinpoint that.  You don't want your employees possibly driving in that.

It's going to be bad starting tommorrow afternoon as many mets have alluded to with heavy snow breaking out as early as mid afternoon. Monday morning looks dangerous on almost all guidance. 

1 minute ago, nzucker said:

Maybe you should respect the fact it's the weekend and their Sunday off, and just let them have both tomorrow and Monday off if the storm is going to be bad. It's not like the weather is their fault; they shouldn't be forced to work Sunday just because weather dictates closures Monday.

The madness of the go-go-go mentality in the US.

Lawyers will work even if the boss say it's an off day ;)

2 minutes ago, Semper911 said:

Good thing we don't work there.

I know...it's like this arrogant attitude that you have the right to force people to abandon Sunday plans with family and friends just because snow dictates closing Monday.

How about everyone gets a long weekend and a well-deserved break from working the longest hours of any country in the world?

Just now, nzucker said:

I know...it's like this arrogant attitude that you have the right to force people to abandon Sunday plans with family and friends just because snow dictates closing Monday.

How about everyone gets a long weekend and a well-deserved break from working the longest hours of any country in the world?

I thought this was a weather forum.

2 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Well I certainly wouldn't lump in ORH with central CT in this....I think northeast CT is good for 8-10 anyway...maybe a foot. We'll see how much it thumps. Once you get to central CT, there may be ptype issues at some point. 

ORH may catch some of the CCB on Monday. Perhaps NE CT...tho I think the bigger impact from that would be in NE MA. The main show though for most in SNE will be tomorrow and tomorrow night.

Where should ORH be in this picture and when will it start. This is a very exciting storm for Maine and I can understand the focus on it. Just wondering where we are in the picture.

2 minutes ago, weathafella said:

That snow tomorrow means business.  Of course everyone is focused on Monday which will be bad most likely in eastern areas but tomorrow looks like a widespread sizable snow for most of SNE.

Yeah tomorrow is the main deal for most of us. Monday will ramp up the winds and has potential for short duration blizzard, but the bulk of accumulations will be from thump tomorrow and tomorrow evening. 

Just now, nzucker said:

The wheels of justice grind on regardless of weather.  It all depends on the needs of the client.  Contractual obligations cannot simply be rearranged by one side.

6 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

I surpassed last season's total wary this morning lol

You guys are funny.  So if you hired a lawyer to be in Court for you on Tuesday, and he showed up unprepared and said "Hey, I took a couple days off because of the storm...", I'm sure you'd be ok with that?  Or if you were selling your house and buying a new one and had movers scheduled, and he/she didn't have your closing documents ready for your new house, resulting in you being homeless.  

Believe me, I'd love to just be able to close whenever we want, but unfortunately, our schedules aren't dictated by us.  They are dictated by courts, contracts and a dozen other people and things that we don't control, but have to be ready for.  The choice is made for us. 

Archived