Newest Member
    Dano62
Feb 12-13 Storm Threat

UlsterCountySnowZ

• Replies 568
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, NorthShoreWx said:

Well, the increasing cloud cover won't promote thermal radiation, but yes.  The breeze here is also very light, even if it is from the northeast.  There is a lot of much colder air to the northeast and pretty good model consensus that it is at least going to get closer to us, but I think we are misidentifying this current cool down from daytime temperatures as CAD.

you have to factor in that there is not much snow cover left in the urban areas with all the cement and paved surfaces which is keeping temps from falling as much as suburban areas with more snowcover

2 hours ago, gravitylover said:

This stuff on the ground has already gone stale and will have a minimal impact.

Snow on the ground is snow on the ground, with regard to thermodynamics and melting/evaporational effects.  However, snow age will certainly impact albedo, as fresh snow has an albedo near 0.9, while 3-day old melting snow would typically have an albedo of about 0.6, so I would still expect some effect on the surface temps tomorrow, due to the snowpack.  

http://www.cmosarchives.ca/CB/cb110101.pdf

NAM showing an inch of snow/sleet (sleet presumably) down to the Edison area, falling between 10 am and 1 pm - very surprised, as the NWS forecast is for essentially all rain for us and anyone south of 78, really.  Could be a more interesting day than I thought.  Will be out in it - I play soccer every Sunday from 8-10 am with a bunch of other middle-aged guys (full field 11 on 11 - it's a blast) and this one will be in the couple of inches of snow we have left - love playing in the snow.  

2 minutes ago, UlsterCountySnowZ said:

Explain?

2 minutes ago, UlsterCountySnowZ said:

Explain?

Even on the NAM, 850mb low passes just to the south if not over the south shore of Long Island. Not a condusive set up for snow, and the city proper always underperforms with freezing rain due to the heat from the city. 

You will do well. Again. #interiorwinter

1 minute ago, mimillman said:

Even on the NAM, 850mb low passes just to the south if not over the south shore of Long Island. Not a condusive set up for snow, and the city proper always underperforms with freezing rain due to the heat from the city. 

Not if that cold air just NE of us has something to say about that.

8 minutes ago, mimillman said:

This is turning into another latitude dependent winter, not interior or coast. Harrisburg PA has I think 6" for the winter. Early predictions and the La Niña type pattern suggested this might happen. It's revenge for the El Niño driven winter last year where New England got shafted. 

Hopefully this isn't the start of another ridiculous Boston run while NYC gets a swipe or rain. 

6 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

This is turning into another latitude dependent winter, not interior or coast. Harrisburg PA has I think 6" for the winter. Early predictions and the La Niña type pattern suggested this might happen. It's revenge for the El Niño driven winter last year where New England got shafted. 

Hopefully this isn't the start of another ridiculous Boston run while NYC gets a swipe or rain. 

I thought I saw NYC is at like 20 inches for the year......are you serious Clark.

1 minute ago, Animal said:

I thought I saw NYC is at like 20 inches for the year......are you serious Clark.

After this storm, NYC (which should probably be at 23" or so with the questionable measurement in Jan's storm) will be about where it's at now, Boston should be over 40", PHL at 8", Harrisburg at 6" and DCA at 1.5". That's what I mean by a latitude winter. 

7 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

This late, that isn't happening. 

Not saying it's going to happen, but wasn't it about a 50 mile error in where the low pressure formed (vs. where it was modeled maybe 12-18 hours earlier) for the Blizzard of Jan-15 that led to the Flizzard of Jan-15 for 90% of NJ?  

Archived