Newest Member
    SnowHabit
February 9th Storm Obs

ChescoWx

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, KamuSnow said:

Still a few flakes here but that's about it. 2.3" total, not what I was hoping for but at least the highest snowfall total to date. And it does look great out there :-). Heavy snow for shoveling with the water underneath! 29F currently.

Hey squirrels are happy at least 

1 hour ago, RU848789 said:

As of 8 am, we have 3.5" of snow on the ground - that was 2" the last hour and it's still coming down pretty heavily.  Still not sure we make it to 8", but we do have a few more hours of good snowfall rates ahead.  

As of 10 am, we have 5" on the ground, so not as much per hour as earlier (that's 0.75"/hour vs. 2"/hour before).  Looking like the snow is ending out by the Delaware River soon and will likely be over by noon around the I-95 corridor.  Will be surprised if we make it to 8" - maybe 6-7" here.  Will likely be a minor bust for most in the CNJ area, as snowfall is not reaching the general 8-12" forecast in Central Jersey.  Still a nice snowstorm.  

snows just about, finished with 5 inches here. total on the year is now 14 inches. still have a shot at getting to normal(22.6"). not bad considering we didn't change over until 530 am and it got up to 66 yesterday. this wasn't too bad of a bust here and since the January storm overperformed here, this one being an inch or 2 under expectations is ok. every model did terrible with this one temp wise.

Melting already underway here just outside of Philly. Not upset, kept hopes low, but was hoping for more. That said...

On 2/7/2017 at 7:23 AM, hurricane1091 said:

Color me skeptic for Philly S+E. Seen this before where extreme high temperatures the day before + storm starting off as rain and leading to people upset at busted forecast. I would be shocked if anything more than 2-4" happened S+E of the city, while considerably higher numbers could occur N+W.

Anything on the horizon? If not - early spring please?

this really is the nature of Miller b's. with the lack of blocking it isn't surprising this scooted east as fast as it did. also northern stream events have consistently came further north than guidance all year long. live and learn. Miller b's are always boom or bust here and this one is on the bust side for the majority of folks. Ralph and I lucked out and sat under that heavy band most of the morning.

18 minutes ago, hurricane1091 said:

Anything on the horizon? If not - early spring please?

euro has worked 2 threats on the horizon. who knows if they produce but at least something to track. I really like late next week's potential with a very negative AO, a slightly negative NAO, and a very positive PNA setting up on the ensemble means. good teleconnections are aligning for the 13-16th time period. unfortunately after that it looks like winter may be done.

Just now, The Iceman said:

euro has worked 2 threats on the horizon. who knows if they produce but at least something to track. I really like late next week's potential with a very negative AO, a slightly negative NAO, and a very positive PNA setting up on the ensemble means. good teleconnections are aligning for the 13-16th time period. unfortunately after it looks like winter may be done.

Thanks. That's fine, give us something good and let's move on to spring.

Just got in from clearing the car.  Sun out, big fluffy cumulus scooting by. Windy as hell blowing snow around.  I was surprised that after the mini sleetfest that the snow slid off pretty cleanly.  The side of the car facing west had a bit more ice pasted on it but in general, it was a pretty powdery snow considering the antecedent rain and sleet. Temp up to 29F now.

15 minutes ago, zenmsav6810 said:

The biggest weenie here got the biggest screw job here... me. I had faith in this one too! 

I can feel your pain. That 4 inches I said earlier looks like I overestimated - it's more like 2-3" here. I expected my area to change over before 5 AM. It was still raining when the radar said it was supposed to be snowing. Oh well - not surprising in this winter. 

Archived