Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Feb 9th Coastal Obs

TalcottWx

19 minutes ago, The 4 Seasons said:

14.5 was the final in North Haven with Thunder Snow today and 2-3 per rates, I would say this was a good storm...

Looks like my forecast of 10-18 was nearly perfect for the state as 95% or more fell between that range some 18-19 amounts and i think maybe some <10 in extreme SE CT.

Please quote me or PM me your FINAL totals and ill put an excel spread sheet together and make an accumulation map as well.

14.5 drift pics in the AM

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

They corrected to 10.7. What a disaster there. Dear God. No measurer FTL.

Useless as usual, I think 12-13" would have been a fair number for BOS, when I got home around 9 I measure IMBY and on average it was around 10-12" but also quite a few hours after the snow ended and plenty of drifting. But it is semantics after all. At least BOS verified Blizz conditions. 

59 minutes ago, The 4 Seasons said:

14.5 was the final in North Haven with Thunder Snow today and 2-3 per rates, I would say this was a good storm...

Looks like my forecast of 10-18 was nearly perfect for the state as 95% or more fell between that range some 18-19 amounts and i think maybe some <10 in extreme SE CT.

Please quote me or PM me your FINAL totals and ill put an excel spread sheet together and make an accumulation map as well.

4 Seasons, 

finished  with 16.5 inches in Southington.  

Never experienced such prolific thunder and lightning in a winter storm ..ever!   A clap of thunder "once" in a powerful system is what we usually will get, if the system was dynamic enough.  This however,  was literally like a true thunderstorm here with literally a dozen or more flashes and bangs, along with blizzard conditions-outstanding and a breed apart in that regard. 

Lol CT DOT......I just pulled into the driveway in West Hartford after driving 3 hours from Boston after the Bruins demolished the Sharks.....that sucked but being in the city during a legit blizzard was the best.....anyway so I make from Boston to the CT state line at 60 mph.....all lanes on the turnpike were completely clear.....after crossing the state line 84 was decent for maybe 10 or 15 miles then the visible pavement slowly narrowed to nothing and I was on snow the rest of the way basically.....at 40.....pretty sure the issues coincide with where the higher accumulations are in CT but I wonder sometimes about CT DOT vs say MassDOT......they seem to do a great job.....

Great day for a weenie and hockey fan......TD Garden is legit......I like that place....

31 minutes ago, sbos_wx said:

IDK why I even bother reporting totals. 

BOX took my 12" report out of the PNS. F**k the Winthrop guy. 

Not sure why the list changes; I can see old reports that were taken during the event before it was over and were never updated; have noticed several get dropped each storm!  My late afternoon update was dropped and it was a final report?

3 hours ago, ice1972 said:

Lol CT DOT......I just pulled into the driveway in West Hartford after driving 3 hours from Boston after the Bruins demolished the Sharks.....that sucked but being in the city during a legit blizzard was the best.....anyway so I make from Boston to the CT state line at 60 mph.....all lanes on the turnpike were completely clear.....after crossing the state line 84 was decent for maybe 10 or 15 miles then the visible pavement slowly narrowed to nothing and I was on snow the rest of the way basically.....at 40.....pretty sure the issues coincide with where the higher accumulations are in CT but I wonder sometimes about CT DOT vs say MassDOT......they seem to do a great job.....

Great day for a weenie and hockey fan......TD Garden is legit......I like that place....

Was that around Tolland?

3 hours ago, ice1972 said:

It depends on the garage.  I don't think that every garage does the same things for every storm.  The garage in Union does a great job IMHO and I've seen many times where you see a change where coverage from another garage overlaps.  I can't tell you the number of times I'm driving to work and the road will be fine going over the mountain on Rte 190 but then suddenly it changes at the top and it's crappy coming down.  It's not that the weather was different, but how the garage plowed or treated that made the difference.

Also, you were mostly on the Mass Pike which has it's own crews so I think that helps.

Having said all that, I agree that there are times when CT roads are just not as good and I think a lot of that has to do with budgets.

8 hours ago, The 4 Seasons said:

It would be nice to define a blizzard a bit better for modern times. What exactly is "frequent gusts over 35mph?" I understand ASOS isn't perfect in low visibilities, but where do we make the cutoff now? I assume it's 1/4SM or less. Also....the 3hour duration. Obs aren't just hourly anymore. If you get a few minutes of 1/2SM or 3/4SM should it take away from meeting the criteria? For something we, the media, and the public make a big deal about, you would think we could define it better.

Archived