Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Feb 9th Coastal Obs

TalcottWx

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

A fitting total for the guy who called for the event of the season days ago when the models showed a south shore scraper.  Sometimes balls to the walls works out.

I knew this was on when the GEFS were amped Saturday...knew the EC was too progressive, as has been the case quite often this season.

5 minutes ago, weathafella said:

Wow!  Can these final few flakes push them to 15?   In any case, above for the season with plenty in the pipeline.  Who knew?   So glad I melted!  You're all welcome!

Yeah it will be close to 15, this stringy back edge had impact. Nice to have some winter juju back in SNE.

Cool how much that 1-5pm deformation band carried this storm for us. There was only about 3-4" on the ground 7am-1pm.

Anyone know liquid equivalent in Boston?

1 minute ago, wxsniss said:

Yeah it will be close to 15, this stringy back edge had impact. Nice to have some winter juju back in SNE.

Cool how much that 1-5pm deformation band carried this storm for us. There was only about 3-4" on the ground 7am-1pm.

Anyone know liquid equivalent in Boston?

BOS got close to a foot from 1-7pm.

1 minute ago, weathafella said:

I don't know....totals around the area kind of match it from BOS to Jay to you to me.   

They jump up and down, and completely messed up the other day with 2.5" (Stole the slanticker chelsea number).They have no observer and they have questionable amounts. 15 seemed steep considering they sort of were screwed for awhile..but whatever. Wind makes it a higher margin of error too.

3 minutes ago, SR Airglow said:

15" at Logan seems a little high to me - I have no reliable measurement due to wind and not having a good spot to begin with, but my average of many measurements was around 12-13" or so. I'm going to go with that(12.5") for my records unless other reports come in that disagree.

They corrected to 10.7. What a disaster there. Dear God. No measurer FTL.

2 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

I never understood why peeps east declare bust for a eastward moving cyclone when it's west of them. Kinda silly 

I was one of those east peeps that was frustrated this morning. I think it comes down to:

1) snowgrowth was absolutely horrible for first 6 hours... vs. CT / western MA where it came in like a wall with great snowgrowth from onset. That difference was not anticipated from soundings, and fortunately the heavy rates in the deformation band made up for it later. That's why I was asking about liquid equivalent in Boston.

2) the dry areas in NE MA seemed alot worse than guidance showed... we had posters up there wondering if the sun would come out. Yes, the 0z NAM / RGEM / Euro had relatively lower qpf in NE MA, and CoastalWx even warned people would get worried, but I don't think people expected extended periods without a flake.

3) I do wonder if KBOS truly saw 15" or something closer to 12" as others have said, but maybe we're splitting hairs with all the wind.

However we got there, in the end we saw 4" / hr rates, thundersnow, blizzard conditions, a death band... awesome storm.

2 minutes ago, Cold Miser said:

The Reminder.  Piece of garbage.  I actually saw it hanging on the post last night and didn't think anything of it.

A few years ago my snow blower injested an extension cord that I used to electric start it. Thank god it wasn't plugged in.  It messed up the auger big time but I fixed it.

Today, I recorded 12", but NWS has a 16.1" report from my town. I had earlier went in an 11.0" one.   Today was  wry hard to measure

Winds are wicked tonight.  Already 9.4F and dropping.  2 of our 4 districts in house have 2 hour delays

Just now, wxsniss said:

I was one of those east peeps that was frustrated this morning. I think it comes down to:

1) snowgrowth was absolutely horrible for first 6 hours... vs. CT / western MA where it came in like a wall with great snowgrowth from onset. That difference was not anticipated from soundings, and fortunately the heavy rates in the deformation band made up for it later. That's why I was asking about liquid equivalent in Boston.

2) the dry areas in NE MA seemed alot worse than guidance showed... we had posters up there wondering if the sun would come out. Yes, the 0z NAM / RGEM / Euro had relatively lower qpf in NE MA, and CoastalWx even warned people would get worried, but I don't think people expected extended periods without a flake.

3) I do wonder if KBOS truly saw 15" or something closer to 12" as others have said, but maybe we're splitting hairs with all the wind.

However we got there, in the end we saw 4" / hr rates, thundersnow, blizzard conditions, a death band... awesome storm.

Just saw the NWS twitter correction... :facepalm:

Archived