Newest Member
    joxey
February 8-9 Short range disco and Obs - STORM MODE

stormtracker

• Replies 571
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, Fozz said:

IIRC, both October 2011 and early Feb 2014 had last minute jumps to the north. I don't know what this storm will do, but the NAMs and HRRR aren't looking very encouraging, not to mention temps today ended several degrees warmer than what many of the "good" 12z runs predicted, which will make a difference for those of us on the edge. At this point, I have no idea whether to trust the short term/mesoscale models or the usual global models.

Yea and what worries me about that fact is I don't have the wiggle room this time I did with those 2 examples. Those times the shift north only meant a little less snow here but screwed Baltimore. This time Baltimore is already screwed (sorry but true) and a shift north screws up here. 

12 minutes ago, cae said:

The 18z RGEM is also coming in warmer.  Let's hope it's an 18z blip.

Yea hope so but 3/4 pieces of guidance coming in warmer right before the storm when ground truth supports that doesn't feel like a blip. It feels more like a "were screwed"

ETA. Actually 4/4. 12k nam was warmer too but snowfall increased because of a crazy back edge band. That's living dangerously. 

6 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

Yea and what worries me about that fact is I don't have the wiggle room this time I did with those 2 examples. Those times the shift north only meant a little less snow here but screwed Baltimore. This time Baltimore is already screwed (sorry but true) and a shift north screws up here. 

Just about every model that had a good storm for my area predicted a high around 64-65 at BWI. It was 70. That's going to make a difference as temps will struggle to fall as much as they would've fallen if it was slightly cooler, which is why I think it will be more of a 1-3" event for northern MD rather than 3-7".

7 minutes ago, Fozz said:

Just about every model that had a good storm for my area predicted a high around 64-65 at BWI. It was 70. That's going to make a difference as temps will struggle to fall as much as they would've fallen if it was slightly cooler, which is why I think it will be more of a 1-3" event for northern MD rather than 3-7".

Well everything had pretty good snow up here with 12z but man was it close. Only 10 miles south was almost nothing on some guidance. But still just about every 12z run was 4-8" up here. So that I guess lended some hope. But the 18z so far took that north shift I've been worried about. 

28 minutes ago, MD Snow said:

Not putting any stock in it. This is an observation thread. I use the HRRR to observe trends from run to run and compare with current surface trends etc. Isn't that what this thread is supposed to be about? 

I'm not going to get any accumulating snow south of baltimore. However, I am interested to see if I actually flip over to snow and how much snow areas north and west of me get. I use the HRRR to look at short term trends. 

I agree that it's a great tool for the reasons you stated.  I just don't see how posting the latest 18hr reflectivity map could offer any "trend" analysis considering you won't have another HRRR run to compare that hour to.

14 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

Yea hope so but 3/4 pieces of guidance coming in warmer right before the storm when ground truth supports that doesn't feel like a blip. It feels more like a "were screwed"

ETA. Actually 4/4. 12k nam was warmer too but snowfall increased because of a crazy back edge band. That's living dangerously. 

I agree, but I'm probalby going to stay up and suffer through the 12z suite anyway.

10 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

Well everything had pretty good snow up here with 12z but man was it close. Only 10 miles south was almost nothing on some guidance. But still just about every 12z run was 4-8" up here. So that I guess lended some hope. But the 18z so far took that north shift I've been worried about. 

GFS still gives me slight hope, and still looks good for you. I'm just going to hope my elevation saves me, or else it's a sharp gradient 5 miles north of me.

9 minutes ago, TSG said:

I agree that it's a great tool for the reasons you stated.  I just don't see how posting the latest 18hr reflectivity map could offer any "trend" analysis considering you won't have another HRRR run to compare that hour to.

I've been preaching to not use the last frames of the hrrr for a while on here.

2 minutes ago, NorthArlington101 said:

I'll take these odds... 

EB9126F1-206C-476A-8B2C-29AD805B2E7B-6809-0000053276F45650_tmp.png

Since this is a storm mode thread, I'm going to make a request for the northerners to stop picking on us metro folks.  Those are very respectable probabilities!

1 minute ago, RidingTheModelWithMostSnow said:

Wait until the 0z suite comes out and it has shift another 50 miles north.

I don't think that will happen. I expect it to be pretty much the same, since the 18z GFS "knows" about the warmer temps from this afternoon, so 0z shouldn't be too different.

Archived