Newest Member
    SnowHabit
February 8-9 Short range disco and Obs - STORM MODE

stormtracker

• Replies 571
  • Created
  • Last Reply
39 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Hindsight makes things easy but I felt this way 2 ways in front of the storm. 2 important factors with this storm are almost a guaranteed problem every single time. Needing the cold to bleed in right at game time versus being in place is a standard red flag. The other one was that we were right at ground zero for rapid development. The vast majority of times it develops too late. So with those 2 things in mind, the storm played out exactly as it should have regardless of what models were giving false hope. 

And just in general with any storm, you never want to be on the southern edge of the forecasted heavy snow area. Something almost always goes wrong there. As you said, rapid development being modeled too far south. Or, warm air aloft punches the sleet line north. Or dry slot. Or the low ends up above your latitude on a west-to-east track. Or any number of other ways to fail. 

Unless we are within 24-hrs and that southern edge is in south central VA, I am always nervous. 

2 hours ago, RidingTheModelWithMostSnow said:

Whomever said something about they knew it was going to snow because it was 70 degrees... Well NY was 60 yesterday and how did that work out for them today.

No idea. Did they do well?

43 minutes ago, mappy said:

if makes you all feel better, Philly airport only recorded .8" 

:lol::lol::lol: 

Much prefer to have seen New York bust (did they)?

22 minutes ago, snowfan said:

Canaan right now is no joke.

http://www.whitegrass.com/White Grass Webcams.html

I was up at Deep Creek earlier and they did much better with this storm as it flipped to snow up there hours earlier than here.

Although we may catch up to them as we do better with the upslope normally, which we have going on in full force now.

13 minutes ago, EastCoast NPZ said:

Snowing again.  Looks like at least 1/2 the snow from before melted.

That was really cool. After the first squall ended the sun came out and all the snow melted on the grass outside of the shadow of my house. I had a big square of my back yard covered in snow, still do actually, and everything else was grass. 

Archived