SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
February 8-9 Short range disco and Obs - STORM MODE

stormtracker

• Replies 571
  • Created
  • Last Reply

DAS:  I was thinking back to some other awful winters like 2012 for comparison -- I can just refer to your sig!  I am only three or so miles down 355, but lower in elevation -- I could call it 90% of your numbers for my spot.  I remember one approx. 3 inch snow in 2002 and a slushy 1-2 incher in the terrible 1998 winter.

This is definitely looking like The Worst of All Time, but I guess there are a few weeks left.

4 minutes ago, BlizzardNole said:

DAS:  I was thinking back to some other awful winters like 2012 for comparison -- I can just refer to your sig!  I am only three or so miles down 355, but lower in elevation -- I could call it 90% of your numbers for my spot.  I remember one approx. 3 inch snow in 2002 and a slushy 1-2 incher in the terrible 1998 winter.

This is definitely looking like The Worst of All Time, but I guess there are a few weeks of misery left.

Fixed

3 minutes ago, BlizzardNole said:

This is definitely looking like The Worst of All Time, but I guess there are a few weeks left.

no there was a winter either in mid 70 or 80 where winter was summer time temps, there was no winter, it was a very long winter, spring summer. Remember it very well.

10 minutes ago, BlizzardNole said:

This has been the worst of all time here so far. I'm in Damascus about 5mi from from Das, maybe 7mi from you. Today's snow is the largest snow accumulation for mby. so far. This puts this area a little over 1" for the season. We shall see what the rest of the winter holds.

31 minutes ago, jnis said:

This has been the worst of all time here so far. I'm in Damascus about 5mi from from Das, maybe 7mi from you. Today's snow is the largest snow accumulation for mby. so far. This puts this area a little over 1" for the season. We shall see what the rest of the winter holds.

Yup, worst ever here in Clarksburg so far as well. 0.1" today pops me all the way up to 1.2" on the year.  2012 was a cake walk compared to this.

Nice little snow shower from one of the streamers moving through on Clara Barton Parkway approaching Georgetown. Gives me some hope that the  squalls from this afternoon may be dynamic.

IMG_0867.MOV

17 minutes ago, high risk said:

NAM 1.33 km fire weather nest was run over DC last night, and it really likes a streamer band forming over DC this afternoon and moving to the northeast, giving a good shot of snow to the Baltimore area at rush hour:     http://www.emc.ncep.noaa.gov/mmb/mmbpll/firewx/firewx_00z_refc_animate_1h.html

firewx_00z_refc_f23.gif

Well. That would fit right into line with this winter. Snow to the NSEW of me. But nothing over me. What an embarrassment of a winter for the Winchester area.

30 minutes ago, losetoa6 said:

Ended up with 2.5" total here . Currently 29 and cloudy .A friend in Gettysburg got 3.5" . It was a fun one to track especially the fact it didn't show up until the 100 hour mark.  Even though the short range models trended north at last minute it didn't bother me because my bar was set low because of this dismal winter and though up here its been bad ..others have it even worse. Hopefully we get a (region wide) hit soon. Maybe some will get some snow squalls later to ease the frustration. 

Ended up dose to 2 here after a slow start.

2 minutes ago, caviman2201 said:

The elevation (as expected) made all the difference.  If you go to CHART, the few traffic cameras on Parr's ridge show snow on the ground (Westminster, Mt. Airy, Lineboro, etc.), but nada in Columbia, Reisterstown or Frederick.

Elevation meant nothing. Latitude did. I am over 1000 feet and got bupkis. Although it is snowing lightly now.

4 hours ago, losetoa6 said:

I would  think you've got more. I just measured 2.5 " and 1.5 "on pavement . Currently 30/30 with light to moderate snow.

That band of crazy heavy stuff around 3am was mostly rain sleet snow mix here and I think snow for you just northwest. Then we flipped but after that period of heavy stuff moved out. We got another heavy band later but we missed out on that first one. 

6 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

Elevation meant nothing. Latitude did. I am over 1000 feet and got bupkis. Although it is snowing lightly now.

Your both right to a degree. My elevation did matter as I accumulated faster then some places around me but you had to be North enough to get the boundary through before the heavy band moved east for it to matter. A little of column a and b. 

Archived