Newest Member
    joxey
February 8-9 Short range disco and Obs - STORM MODE

stormtracker

• Replies 571
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, osfan24 said:

RIP snow storm. You can stick a fork in it. Snow depth for Philly appears to be almost 0. Amazing how we've had such a poor winter, as well as Philly, yet NYC and NE have really had a fine winter. Let's get the next one!

I think before this storm NY and BOS are like 10" below their average. 

18 minutes ago, BaltimoreWxGuy said:

Yeah, but predictable. This isnt a set up that works well....now we just see what happens for sure.

I'm equally frustrated as anyone right now, maybe moreso because this actually did look like it had a chance here 6 hours ago, but I can't agree that the setup was the problem. This "wave developing on a pressing boundary" is actually one of our more standard ways we get snow.  There were obvious signs we were in trouble though in this particular  instance because of where the boundary was.  These almost always shift north a bit at the last minute. But at the same time if the wave was just 6 hours slower and the boundary was able to press 50 miles more south before it rode along it, we would be under a winter storm warning right now. This isn't like a miller b or anafront type thing where that rarely ever work out. This was one of the few good setups we had all winter but we got bad luck. Slow the wave down 6 hours and we would be celebrating right now. 

1 minute ago, Fozz said:

Just heard a rumble of thunder. Wasn't expecting that, but I guess that's how this winter rolls. Heavy rain with thunder to anemic snow :lol:

was just about to saw I've seen some lightning strikes showing up on radar and wxbug said there was a strike about 8 miles away from me in the last 30 min 

So as not to offend I will only post this one obs for those tracking the mix line in Northern Baltimore and Carroll counties. We had sleet begin to mix in around 2:45 am and within 15 minutes it had changed to snow. Big temp drop from 41 at 2:30 to 34 as of now at 3:10. This is in Hanover Pa just across the Md line. Good luck to my southern friends. 

Judging by CC, Manchester area will be flipping over to all snow very shortly if it hasn't already. Banding heading in from the SW looks pretty impressive. Area could see quick accumulation over the next few hours. Next towns to be flipping the next hour or so will be Frederick, Mt Airy and Westminster. 

5 minutes ago, MillvilleWx said:

Judging by CC, Manchester area will be flipping over to all snow very shortly if it hasn't already. Banding heading in from the SW looks pretty impressive. Area could see quick accumulation over the next few hours. Next towns to be flipping the next hour or so will be Frederick, Mt Airy and Westminster. 

that should make columbia by 5 am, westminister is 25 miles north of me

Archived