• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Please post your observations, and other data for the Coastal Crusher Feb 9th 2017 here - Thanks!

WeatherFox

43 minutes ago, SnowGoose69 said:

Some may have been wasted as non accumulating early on.  They've had .82 since 7am so definitely either some was wasted early or the ratios at the start were 7 or 8:1

The snow is pretty wet, we initially had some rain/sleet for the first couple of hours that transitioned to snow, still a solid 7.0"-8.0" snowfall here.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, gravitylover said:

I'm ~20 miles west of DXR and I can confirm that we sat in SN++ for a lot more hours than I would have thought before the storm got here.  We are still SN/SN+

What do you have now?

Though I didn't make an official forecast, I was confident that N & W areas would do well.  Always thought Ulster et al would crack double digits.  

I had a max running an arc from W Milford NJ through Harriman NY to DXR - looks like the eastern part of that arc verified.  Totals were not as impressive as I thought over far NW/NNJ.  Here, about 4 miles south of the I80-GSP interchange, I broadbrushed 8-12 with max to 15 which some places to the SW did not verify (that was not for NJ counties outside OKX domicile)- but most of Ct and LI will be at or exceeding the upper end of that range.

Just now, forkyfork said:

i hate the kuchera method. it's just a straight temperature formula that doesn't take into account where the lift is, riming, wind fracturing, etc. ratios need to be calculated subjectively using soundings and lift/temperature charts

So create the Sepanski method. Let's roll.

51 minutes ago, mikem81 said:

It was 9 at 10AM??? Only .6 since?

Probably due to compression.  The same thing is happening here.  My accumulation stuck at 10" for quite a while during the heaviest snowfall of the morning.  Like it or not, that's the way you are supposed to measure.  Not sure if we'll make 12" here.

8 minutes ago, danstorm said:

What do you have now?

Though I didn't make an official forecast, I was confident that N & W areas would do well.  Always thought Ulster et al would crack double digits.  

I had a max running an arc from W Milford NJ through Harriman NY to DXR - looks like the eastern part of that arc verified.  Totals were not as impressive as I thought over far NW/NNJ.  Here, about 4 miles south of the I80-GSP interchange, I broadbrushed 8-12 with max to 15 which some places to the SW did not verify (that was not for NJ counties outside OKX domicile)- but most of Ct and LI will be at or exceeding the upper end of that range.

12"+  The image below explains a lot.  I'm not too far east of the river on top of a hill and this wind has been for real for hours making a good measurement very difficult.  I have knee deep drifts in some spots and almost down to dirt in others.

6 minutes ago, UlsterCountySnowZ said:

This was worth sharing in here 

+1

edit:  well that didn't work too well ;) 

Just now, NorthShoreWx said:

Probably due to compression.  The same thing is happening here.  My accumulation stuck at 10" for quite a while during the heaviest snowfall of the morning.  Like it or not, that's the way you are supposed to measure.  Not sure if we'll make 12" here.

Having the same issue here.  I've been stuck at 10" since I got home from work.  It's been smowing moderately most of the time since I got home.

It's snowing hard here man, unreal... I just hit 14", winds are picking up too... never did I think I had a shot at 14" up here 

10 minutes ago, danstorm said:

What do you have now?

2 minutes ago, gravitylover said:

12"+  The image below explains a lot.  I'm not too far east of the river on top of a hill and this wind has been for real for hours making a good measurement very difficult.  I have knee deep drifts in some spots and almost down to dirt in others.

edit:  well that didn't work too well ;) 

5 minutes ago, NorthShoreWx said:

I think you should just wipe the board and start over...

4 minutes ago, UlsterCountySnowZ said:

It's snowing hard here man, unreal... I just hit 14", winds are picking up too... never did I think I had a shot at 14" up here 

Heheh A few hours ago it looked like that back edge was going to slide through quietly.  Hasn't happened yet :) I'm still under 1/2"/hr rates but the wind isn't letting it settle nicely.  

Archived