• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Please post your observations, and other data for the Coastal Crusher Feb 9th 2017 here - Thanks!

WeatherFox

2 hours ago, Allsnow said:

Ended up with 6.5 here. Kind of bummed with that being how well the models looked at 12z yesterday. Oh well. 

48 minutes ago, weatherpruf said:

I feel ya....but still a nice wintry feel after a blah winter. Here's to another....we'll get a better one yet. Maybe not this year....

Hey, did either of you guys measure or were you going off my 6.5" measurement, given how close we all are?  Just curious, since it got pretty windy, making measurements more difficult - had to average out a bunch of measurements in my back yard (a snowboard is kind of useless if it's not fully representative), which is usually a decent way to measure, as I have a large, fairly quiescent back yard.  The NWS PNS didn't show anyone near us, other than a measurement of 5.0" in Metuchen at 11:41 am (think I had about 0.5" after that point), so not sure why the discrepancy and a measurement of 6.0" in Woodbridge (Port Reading) at 9:42 am, which actually sounds high, as that would've likely been 7-8" at the end of the storm.  Did anyone else in the Edison-Woodbridge area report in this thread (no time to look)?  Think I saw someone in P'way on the board report 6.5", but can't recall who it was.  Thanks...

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, jm1220 said:

Ouch at PHL-the airport ended up with less than 1". Elsewhere in the city ended with 1-3". The writing was unfortunately on the wall for them last night at 0z and much of central NJ too. But we also saw how ridiculous the high snow ratio maps were, I think many of us ended up under 10-1 even. This stuff wasn't easy shoveling. 

The 0.8" PHL is not accurate & should be revised, they reported 0.3" at 7:00am & only 0.5" thereafter - no way. Surrounding locations reported 2-2.5". Probably issue with the wind.

Forecast for that area was 4-6" so certainly wasn't some epic bust.

3 hours ago, tim said:

...based on radar(pretty much done) my final tally...13.5" snow.

temp is 21*...almost 40 degree drop from this time yesterday.

13" will do it for me. Just got done digging out 2 driveways, otherwise I would have posted earlier. Speaking of digging out... That's some solid stuff out there. I forgot how much work it is to move this heavy stuff.

1 hour ago, RU848789 said:

Hey, did either of you guys measure or were you going off my 6.5" measurement, given how close we all are?  Just curious, since it got pretty windy, making measurements more difficult - had to average out a bunch of measurements in my back yard (a snowboard is kind of useless if it's not fully representative), which is usually a decent way to measure, as I have a large, fairly quiescent back yard.  The NWS PNS didn't show anyone near us, other than a measurement of 5.0" in Metuchen at 11:41 am (think I had about 0.5" after that point), so not sure why the discrepancy and a measurement of 6.0" in Woodbridge (Port Reading) at 9:42 am, which actually sounds high, as that would've likely been 7-8" at the end of the storm.  Did anyone else in the Edison-Woodbridge area report in this thread (no time to look)?  Think I saw someone in P'way on the board report 6.5", but can't recall who it was.  Thanks...

I am over by St Joes and measured right around 5.5" total.

8 minutes ago, friedmators said:

I am over by St Joes and measured right around 5.5" total.

Thanks!  It's always hard to know if the differences we see are due to individual measurement variability (certainly some part of it) and/or true snowfall variability (also part of it).  A 1" difference sounds large, but if I overmeasured by 1/4" and you undermeasured by 1/4" and I actually had 1/2" more snow (possible over a mile), then that would be a plausible explanation for a 1" difference.  Who knows...

Just now, RU848789 said:

Thanks!  It's always hard to know if the differences we see are due to individual measurement variability (certainly some part of it) and/or true snowfall variability (also part of it).  A 1" difference sounds large, but if I overmeasured by 1/4" and you undermeasured by 1/4" and I actually had 1/2" more snow (possible over a mile), then that would be a plausible explanation for a 1" difference.  Who knows...

To be honest I measured 4.75" on the nose and figured another .5-1" fell after that.  Either way I think we busted versus the 24 hour earlier model forecasts.

Finished at 8.2", the last 4 of which was deliciously fluffy.  Lower end of expectations but I'm pleased overall (in my advancing age I no longer let envy get the best of me post-storm... you gotta enjoy what you get... although does SNE ever not max out? Good lord.).

Howling winds now and cold - love the way it looks outside.  Let's grab a few more this month, ey?

22 minutes ago, danstorm said:

Finished at 8.2", the last 4 of which was deliciously fluffy.  Lower end of expectations but I'm pleased overall (in my advancing age I no longer let envy get the best of me post-storm... you gotta enjoy what you get... although does SNE ever not max out? Good lord.).

Howling winds now and cold - love the way it looks outside.  Let's grab a few more this month, ey?

It's much less of an issue here, because most people know how to measure snow, but I post a lot on a Rutgers football board about the weather (sounds odd, I know) and I'm constantly getting questions and arguments about snowfall amounts.  There's a guy today, who I'm sure means well, but when I questioned his report of 4" in Montclair, he defended it by saying that's about what he saw on his driveway after the storm while he was snowblowing.  When I saw that, I noted that there was probably a 1" error from compaction (that's what I saw after 40 minutes) and probably at least a 1" error from measuring on the driveway (the delta I saw, since the snow had a hard time accumulating on paved surfaces at first) and then maybe a 1" error if his driveway was exposed to wind (which is why I measured 10 spots in my backyard).  That's a 3" difference right there.  

I also get people thinking I inflate my snowfall totals, since I love snow.  I have had some of the higher reports in Metuchen at times (including my 6.5" today, which is why I was asking about others in the area), but I think that's due to taking great care to measure accurately and right at the end of the storm.  I've also pointed out that last year, in the blizzard, I reported 22", while a spotter in town reported 27.7", which made all the TV reports and I'm sure wasn't accurate (had to be a drifted area).  I'm such a nut about getting it right that I gave up near the end of the blizzard, since I was seeing wide variability, due to wind, even in my backyard, and I drove 1/2 mile to a football field, trudged 50 yards out to the center of it and took about a dozen measurements to get my 22" amount.  If there was ever a storm I could've easily inflated my report without anyone blinking, that was it.  Who else does that?  Nobody, except me and maybe a few of the other nuts on this board.  End of rant, lol.  

44 minutes ago, RU848789 said:

I'm such a nut about getting it right that I gave up near the end of the blizzard, since I was seeing wide variability, due to wind, even in my backyard, and I drove 1/2 mile to a football field, trudged 50 yards out to the center of it and took about a dozen measurements to get my 22" amount. 

That's how I have to do it in the really big storms around here.   I walk around the block to a school with a large soccer field and take my measurements.  

4 minutes ago, Rjay said:

That's how I have to do it in the really big storms around here.   I walk around the block to a school with a large soccer field and take my measurements.  

I wish we had a "like" button, lol.  While we may be a touch crazy, we don't hold a candle to this guy.  I imagine a few folks around here might volunteer for this job...

http://www.greatbigstory.com/stories/one-man-measuring-daily-snow-fall-for-40-winters/?iid=ob_homepage_deskrecommended_pool

3 hours ago, RU848789 said:

Yup, I'm the one that reported 6.5" in Piscataway. I also measure by taking a bunch of measurements in my back yard. Since you and Tim both measured 6.5" here in northern Middlesex county, I'd say we all measured very accurately. 

6 hours ago, Allsnow said:

Ended up with 6.5 here. Kind of bummed with that being how well the models looked at 12z yesterday. Oh well. 

Yeah I'm a bit disappointed too. A half foot certainly is a nice storm, but we were really teased with those 12z runs that showed our area getting close to a foot of snow. But we saw the warning signs last night when 0z NAM and RGEM really cut down our amounts, and most of the HRRR runs did the same. And it made sense since southwest of NYC is often the screwzone in these types of storms. Last night I was hoping we could still pull off 8, but it ended up being closer to 6. Still enough to be an enjoyable storm though. 

9 hours ago, RU848789 said:

It's much less of an issue here, because most people know how to measure snow, but I post a lot on a Rutgers football board about the weather (sounds odd, I know) and I'm constantly getting questions and arguments about snowfall amounts.  There's a guy today, who I'm sure means well, but when I questioned his report of 4" in Montclair, he defended it by saying that's about what he saw on his driveway after the storm while he was snowblowing.  When I saw that, I noted that there was probably a 1" error from compaction (that's what I saw after 40 minutes) and probably at least a 1" error from measuring on the driveway (the delta I saw, since the snow had a hard time accumulating on paved surfaces at first) and then maybe a 1" error if his driveway was exposed to wind (which is why I measured 10 spots in my backyard).  That's a 3" difference right there.  

I also get people thinking I inflate my snowfall totals, since I love snow.  I have had some of the higher reports in Metuchen at times (including my 6.5" today, which is why I was asking about others in the area), but I think that's due to taking great care to measure accurately and right at the end of the storm.  I've also pointed out that last year, in the blizzard, I reported 22", while a spotter in town reported 27.7", which made all the TV reports and I'm sure wasn't accurate (had to be a drifted area).  I'm such a nut about getting it right that I gave up near the end of the blizzard, since I was seeing wide variability, due to wind, even in my backyard, and I drove 1/2 mile to a football field, trudged 50 yards out to the center of it and took about a dozen measurements to get my 22" amount.  If there was ever a storm I could've easily inflated my report without anyone blinking, that was it.  Who else does that?  Nobody, except me and maybe a few of the other nuts on this board.  End of rant, lol.  

Haha, a few things to note:

1) I never inflate totals - I routinely come in under surrounding towns.  when I lived in Forest Hills, NY, I would consistently be an inch or two below the reports from Kew Gardens, LGA, etc... I'm also in the northernmost part of the town, literally a stone's throw from Clifton/Passaic Cty.  Several reports from Essex Co came in the 7.5-9" range, before they were removed by the NWS with the latest PNS.  

2) I have two young kids so no excursion to a soccer field for me.  I will note that my house faces north, and the N wind component yesterday probably piled it at the front yard somewhat and may have tunneled some extra snow into my yard.  The houses are pretty tightly packed in my neighborhood.  My gravel driveway had a consistent 8, the front yard had 9, the back had 8, the deck - where it likely melted to start and was blocked by the roof to the north - had 7.

3) As an aside, and certainly no offense to you or anyone else, but I really don't care about uber precision when it comes to measuring snow.  At the end of the day 7 or 8 or 9 inches looks and feels pretty much the same and looks almost identical the next day.  

I guess this is why I never pursued a PhD in meteorology after getting my MS at PSU - some of my classmates would go onto work that involved some cloud physics equation and getting to a more exact estimate of the 3rd significant figure of some snow accretion coefficient.  Not really for me - I love math/science and am proficient in it, but I don't have that kind of passion or patience.  

12 hours ago, RU848789 said:

I had 8" here on SI and there were several other measurements nearby to me in that range...looks like totals increased an inch to inch and a half every few miles east from you, rising to 9-10" once you got to Brooklyn and continuing to rise east of there.

9 hours ago, winterwx21 said:

Yeah I'm a bit disappointed too. A half foot certainly is a nice storm, but we were really teased with those 12z runs that showed our area getting close to a foot of snow. But we saw the warning signs last night when 0z NAM and RGEM really cut down our amounts, and most of the HRRR runs did the same. And it made sense since southwest of NYC is often the screwzone in these types of storms. Last night I was hoping we could still pull off 8, but it ended up being closer to 6. Still enough to be an enjoyable storm though. 

Yep. Plus last weekend I thought winter was over so I guess shame on me. Looks like the models were to strong and north with the storm over the mid Atlantic which really hurt us. The nam did very well with this storm along with some of the other short range models. The euro was way to wet in our area with about 1.1 of qpf forecasted for our area.  New Brunswick ended up with .65 of liquid for the storm. 

4 minutes ago, Allsnow said:

Yep. Plus last weekend I thought winter was over so I guess shame on me. Looks like the models were to strong and north with the storm over the mid Atlantic which really hurt us. The nam did very well with along with some of the other short range models. The euro was way to wet in our area. 

Winter is far from over man. That was a nice storm got 12 inches here in the Bronx. I'm happy with that, biggest storm of the season probably will end up like that unless some freak snow event happens. I got 24 inches here so I need about 30 to be average but not bad considering this winter has been a torch!

11 hours ago, danstorm said:

Exactly. Enjoy it! I would have loved this as a kid, and my kids loved it yesterday. In fact, it was easier for them to shovel and play versus last January. 

1 minute ago, ag3 said:

Boston finished the similar as NYC. 10"-12"

SNE in general had 10"-18" of snow.

The same as NYC and LI.

NYC/LI ended with: 8"-15"

NJ ended with: 6"-12"

Upton CT ended with" 10"-16"

SNE ended with: 10"-18"

All in all we all got similar amounts.

Death, taxes, and ag3's homerism.

When you consider the forecast region as a whole, BOX>OKX.  

Archived