• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Please post your observations, and other data for the Coastal Crusher Feb 9th 2017 here - Thanks!

WeatherFox

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, gravitylover said:

How about same day over 50 during the afternoon and 17" by midnight?  4/1/97.

Late season storms are what I am thinking about.  I know April 1996 missed the city to the east (JFK got 5") but that has to be up there for Long Island.

Haven't had an exact measurement, but I'm guessing somewhere in the 8-8.5" range in Upper Montclair - matches other obs in the county.  

Still snowing lightly so perhaps we add a tenth or two.

Came in towards the bottom end of the 8-12 range but oh well.  As others have mentioned, the really heavy bands set up from about DXR up to Ulster and pivoted east.  That's where the lollis to 15 will verify.  LI will have some pushing 15 too, it seems.

Also, let's not bite (or show?) the Kuchera maps again.  They are horribly inflated.

1 minute ago, Paragon said:

Late season storms are what I am thinking about.  I know April 1996 missed the city to the east (JFK got 5") but that has to be up there for Long Island.

Up here we also had the two pre Halloween storms where it was well into the 50's and then a foot or more the next day and the day before T-giving '14 when it was ~60 then got 11" the next day.  My shoulders and wrists remember every one of them ;)

2 minutes ago, danstorm said:

Haven't had an exact measurement, but I'm guessing somewhere in the 8-8.5" range in Upper Montclair - matches other obs in the county.  

Came in towards the bottom end of the 8-12 range but oh well.  As others have mentioned, the really heavy bands set up from about DXR up to Ulster and pivoted east.  That's where the lollis to 15 will verify.  LI will have some pushing 15 too, it seems.

Also, let's not bite (or show?) the Kuchera maps again.  They are horribly inflated.

I'm ~20 miles west of DXR and I can confirm that we sat in SN++ for a lot more hours than I would have thought before the storm got here.  We are still SN/SN+

1 minute ago, gravitylover said:

Up here we also had the two pre Halloween storms where it was well into the 50's and then a foot or more the next day and the day before T-giving '14 when it was ~60 then got 11" the next day.  My shoulders and wrists remember every one of them ;)

Oh yes, 10/30/2011- the heavy snow got as close as Newark, NJ and the Bronx, where they got close to 6"  Much more to the north of that.

4 minutes ago, danstorm said:

Looks like Albany had 4"/hr rates for 2 hours at least, the sweet spot is definitely north and northeast of us (but away from the immediate coast.)

Just now, Paragon said:

Oh yes, 10/30/2011- the heavy snow got as close as Newark, NJ and the Bronx, where they got close to 6"  Much more to the north of that.

I want to say we were close to 18" but I don't write things down so I'm probably off by a bit.  I can tell you it shut everything down up here and the town and county supervisors asked that we not allow the kids to trick or treat.  There were trees down everywhere and getting around was more than just difficult for a few days.  We were without power for 6 days.

5 minutes ago, danstorm said:

The Euro 10:1's did a nice job for around NYC east, but you needed to use the higher ratio maps for NW.

1 minute ago, gravitylover said:

I want to say we were close to 18" but I don't write things down so I'm probably off by a bit.  I can tell you it shut everything down up here and the town and county supervisors asked that we not allow the kids to trick or treat.  There were trees down everywhere and getting around was more than just difficult for a few days.  We were without power for 6 days.

I remember there was over a foot in southern CT and more to the north, so you're probably close to that range.  30" somewhere in Mass

8 minutes ago, danstorm said:

This. Nothing with ratios

11 minutes ago, danstorm said:

Ratios ftw, I'm approaching 14"

Archived