SnowHabit
Feb 8-9th Storm discussion

SnowLover22

• Replies 394
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, BBasile said:

Currently 63.2F.  High today was 65.2F.  

Been wanting more snow since the last storm, but after today, I'm not quite sure anymore.  

Yeah I was outside in tshirt and shorts prepping the bushes so they don't get squashed under the wet paste tomorrow.  Definitely had a surreal moment of "and I want snow why?"

14 minutes ago, Birds~69 said:

Bam! I'm with ya...hate the idea this will end before dark with afternoon possible sun peaks. Ugghh..

Exactly. Its early February and the sun angle isn't exceptionally high, but the sun will at least play a small factor in the afternoon when the snow stops to melt the snow a bit so the already wet snow will become even wetter and make it worse on my back to shovel.

11 minutes ago, Newman said:

Exactly. Its early February and the sun angle isn't exceptionally high, but the sun will at least play a small factor in the afternoon when the snow stops to melt the snow a bit so the already wet snow will become even wetter and make it worse on my back to shovel.

Believe it or not it is going to be a mostly high ratio fluffy snow for us in the NW, plus cold air advecting in keeping it in the 20's tomorrow February melt should be minor. Following 24 hours quite cold just have to shovel it before Saturday.

2 minutes ago, RedSky said:

Believe it or not it is going to be a mostly high ratio fluffy snow for us in the NW, plus cold air advecting in keeping it in the 20's tomorrow February melt should be minor. Following 24 hours quite cold just have to shovel it before Saturday.

Any guess on what ratio's will be like NW of Philly? Do we get to 15:1?

16 minutes ago, Birds~69 said:

Pretty much everyone hit "Happy Hour" and grab a few...eat,sleep/crash and get up around 2-3am-ish when the party starts.... 

Lol, I've given that a little thought, how to work in some rest tonight. Definitely want sleep....I'm aiming for 11 to 3 or so, a nice 4 hour unit. Hopefully.

14 hours ago, wkd said:

This snow map shows an area (darker blue circle) in Hunterdon county just west of Somerset county that has less snow than the surrounding areas. This is where I live and in most events I do get less snow.  I don't know what causes it but I would love to have some suggestions.

Probably subsidence to the west of the Monmouth County Snow Magnet. Talk to Rob.

5 minutes ago, KamuSnow said:

Lol, I've given that a little thought, how to work in some rest tonight. Definitely want sleep....I'm aiming for 11 to 3 or so, a nice 4 hour unit. Hopefully.

Euro helps us with a little bit later timing looks like the "good" snow comes between 5am and 11am 

2 hours ago, donsutherland1 said:

Philadelphia's 2" or Greater Snowfalls following Days with 60° or above Maximum Temperatures (1890-2016):

PHL02082017.jpg

Thanks Don. I thought of February 2nd-3rd, 2014, but it only got up to 53F on Philly the 2nd (a Sunday), followed by 5 1/2" of snow here Monday. It's 68F here now, usually PHL is a couple of degrees warmer at least. If it were to reach 70F there, I wonder how many times that has happened with snow the next day?

Edit - looks like not at all, looking at the chart.

1 minute ago, KamuSnow said:

Thanks Don. I thought of February 2nd-3rd, 2014, but it only got up to 53F on Philly the 2nd (a Sunday), followed by 5 1/2" of snow here Monday. It's 68F here now, usually PHL is a couple of degrees warmer at least. If it were to reach 70F there, I wonder how many times that has happened with snow the next day?

I think it was warm before the Blizzard of 1888 as well.

Curious with all the various model snow maps.  Since we are pushing 65/70 for much of the area, how much will melt on ground contact even if it falls as snow? 1"? 2"  That's a lot of ground warmth to overcome even with high rates. So if the model map says 10", should we guess we'll probably only see 8" on the ground come mid day (obviously verification issues aside).

9 minutes ago, KamuSnow said:

Since 1890, just twice:

4/3/1903 High: 76° 4/4 snowfall: 0.1"

4/8/2000 High: 75° 4/9 snowfall: 1.6"

Just now, shemATC said:

Curious with all the various model snow maps.  Since we are pushing 65/70 for much of the area, how much will melt on ground contact even if it falls as snow? 1"? 2"  That's a lot of ground warmth to overcome even with high rates. So if the model map says 10", should we guess we'll probably only see 8" on the ground come mid day (obviously verification issues aside).

I would expect some of that, and that will be the heavy stuff for shoveling. And it's all okay, no complaints here (as long as we can get heavy snow for a few hours!).

Archived