Newest Member
    joxey
Feb 8-9th Storm discussion

SnowLover22

• Replies 394
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 minutes ago, yankeex777 said:

Has there been a consensus on start times?  A friend has a flight out of ttn tomorrw. Wheels up at 645am.... Might be dicey....

Definitely dicey, especially out of TTN which might not have the same level of weather response as the big airports.  6:45 looks to be "just" before heaviest rates start, but plus or minus 30 minutes could make a huge difference.  

5 minutes ago, Jsdphilly said:

Whats the confidence in these forecasts? I am trying to decide how much I should plan for closing the office in 19027 tomorrow? We open at 730am-2pm. 

Any chance this all stays warm and we just get an inch or so?

That seems very unlikely but I could see totals not being as much as predicted. (3-4"?) The changeover time is key...precipitation will be there but in what form?

Just now, Birds~69 said:

That seems very unlikely but I could see totals not being as much as predicted. (3-4"?) The changeover time is key...precipitation will be there but in what form?

seems to me that even if the change over is later, morning rush hour is going to be a snow event. Once we get 3+ inches, almost none of our patients will drive. Once the word snow is in the forecast, we usually will lose about 50% before even  flakes fall. Besides the fact that I love snow, once the forecast is there, I really need it to follow through. 

Just now, Jsdphilly said:

seems to me that even if the change over is later, morning rush hour is going to be a snow event. Once we get 3+ inches, almost none of our patients will drive. Once the word snow is in the forecast, we usually will lose about 50% before even  flakes fall. Besides the fact that I love snow, once the forecast is there, I really need it to follow through. 

Yeah, most likey. I was just talking about all around totals might not be as high as some have predicted.

4 minutes ago, Bluescat1 said:

I wonder how many people are going to look at the 1-3" forecast, as well as today's 60 degree temps and be lulled into a false sense of no big deal.

I came up one degree short of 60 here this morning, and the call is for "possibly" 8-10 inches up this way. Anyone who doesn't pay attention to a TV weather forecast is going to be in for a shock tomorrow morning...

1 minute ago, Voyager said:

I came up one degree short of 60 here this morning, and the call is for "possibly" 8-10 inches (3-7 tonight and 2-4 tomorrow per point and click) up this way. Anyone who doesn't pay attention to a TV weather forecast is going to be in for a shock tomorrow morning...

2 minutes ago, RedSky said:

Would you take a 12" eight hour storm with a several hour death band period of rates vs a typical 24 hour drawn out variable intensity 18-24" HECS? I would.

Oh yea! Especially if it all gets rolling at 5AM so i don't have to stay up all night to watch it. Nothing better then early morning to early afternoon crusher. Especially wet snow...16+inches of that is a PIA the shovel

4 minutes ago, RedSky said:

Would you take a 12" eight hour storm with a several hour death band period of rates vs a typical 24 hour drawn out variable intensity 18-24" HECS? I would.

I would rather take the long duration storm. I like having snow falling for a full day.

3 minutes ago, Newman said:

I would rather take the long duration storm. I like having snow falling for a full day.

PDII was a great one for you then. 30 hour event of mostly 1/4 to 1/2" rates totalling 22" when it was over I was shrugging my shoulders saying "well that was boring". Then of course all the HECS experienced up here outside of last year the death bands have been off to the SE.

10 minutes ago, RedSky said:

PDII was a great one for you then. 30 hour event of mostly 1/4 to 1/2" rates totalling 22" when it was over I was shrugging my shoulders saying "well that was boring". Then of course all the HECS experienced up here outside of last year the death bands have been off to the SE.

The strong fronto band will likely set up SE of us again tomorrow. At least most guidance has it there for now...

29 minutes ago, RedSky said:

Definitely one like this storm is predicted to be. Especially since we just had a 2 foot storm last winter.

2 hours ago, hurricane1091 said:

We will see! I'll play it safe and stick with lower totals/expectations. 4-7" it is for Philly S&E B)

We can even go 5-8" to meet everyone in the middle.

I understand many models are outputting 8-10", but I am going to say it ends up less than that just based on past experience with these types of storms. Not doing anything scientific, just remembering thinking similar scenarios would result in good snow only for totals to be lower than my expectations.

Philly and the nearby suburbs could easily achieve somewhere close to the higher totals if the dynamics are right. The dynamics will certainly be there, it is a matter of timing and location.

Archived