Newest Member
    joxey
February 8-9 Cold Rain Event

yoda

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, WxWatcher007 said:

Temps chasing precip bothers me but I don't think we're going to have a choice this time around. We're just going to have to hope and pray. 

Still snowing a bit at the next panel. 

Overnight qpf too!

1 minute ago, WxWatcher007 said:

Temps chasing precip bothers me but I don't think we're going to have a choice this time around. We're just going to have to hope and pray. 

Still snowing a bit at the next panel. 

Looks like everyone gets in on decent snow accums if we take EURO face value... 2-4 seems doable

19 minutes ago, showmethesnow said:

The mornings NAM suite is rolling in. 3K is still rolling in but both the 12 and 4 K have shifted the snowfall field roughly 50 miles south. Look at quantities with caution especially on the southern portions where temps will be very marginal.

nam_3hr_snow_acc_washdc_29_75.png

hires_snow_washdc_61_75.png

Starting to look a bit like 12/25/02 to me, with the Euro the best solution for mby. Bust potential is very high with the very, very tight cutoff. I need another 20+ miles to get that warm and fuzzy feeling. 

2 minutes ago, mitchnick said:

Starting to look a bit like 12/25/02 to me, with the Euro the best solution for mby. Bust potential is very high with the very, very tight cutoff. I need another 20+ miles to get that warm and fuzzy feeling. 

I have also had a nasty feeling for a while now that there is going to be a severe cutoff on this from the have and have nots. Haven't really had a chance to look into the overnight runs quite yet but some of the things I saw on yesterdays runs left me a little troubled for those to the south. It has all the earmarks of what I saw time and again growing up where your typical spots N and W would jackpot and those of us closer to the cities would be pissed waiting for the promised change over to occur.

11 minutes ago, showmethesnow said:

I have also had a nasty feeling for a while now that there is going to be a severe cutoff on this from the have and have nots. Haven't really had a chance to look into the overnight runs quite yet but some of the things I saw on yesterdays runs left me a little troubled for those to the south. It has all the earmarks of what I saw time and again growing up where your typical spots N and W would jackpot and those of us closer to the cities would be pissed waiting for the promised change over to occur.

Well, I'm sure my comment about the northern creep may be poo-poo'ed by some claiming the Nam has come south, but as you state, reality and model forecasts are often 2 different things in these types of scenarios. It's just a darn shame that cold air doesn't come in quicker. Welp, we have to ride the Euro and hope for no more ticks north.

14 minutes ago, mitchnick said:

6z Gfs crushes NE. I can see where this may be going. Still time for the I95 crowd south of 40N, but I think we've seen this northern creep picture before. 

For what its worth we do better with the snowfall maps. :) The 500's improved with a deeper and sharper through though I know many out there disagree with me and don't want to see that. But I think that will be the only chance that those in the cities and south will have. Though initially the heights will rise a touch in front I think that gets more then offset with the quicker crash in heights on the backside. And lets face it, the front end of this storm will most likely be a throwaway for those in the cities no matter what happens so let's try to salvage the back half with a quicker height drop. Otherwise they will most likely be waiting for that changeover that never occurs. Been there, done that too many times to count.

11 minutes ago, showmethesnow said:

For what its worth we do better with the snowfall maps. :) The 500's improved with a deeper and sharper through though I know many out there disagree with me and don't want to see that. But I think that will be the only chance that those in the cities and south will have. Though initially the heights will rise a touch in front I think that gets more then offset with the quicker crash in heights on the backside. And lets face it, the front end of this storm will most likely be a throwaway for those in the cities no matter what happens so let's try to salvage the back half with a quicker height drop. Otherwise they will most likely be waiting for that changeover that never occurs. Been there, done that too many times to count.

What Gfs snowfall map are talking about?  I know this map includes snowfall for Massachusetts on north for today and tonight, but 40N is still looking better than us on this map. 

http://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/models/?model=gfs&region=neus&pkg=asnow&runtime=2017020706&fh=54&xpos=0&ypos=357

EDIT: Go to 66 hours on above map

15 minutes ago, mitchnick said:

Well, I'm sure my comment about the northern creep may be poo-poo'ed by some claiming the Nam has come south, but as you state, reality and model forecasts are often 2 different things in these types of scenarios. It's just a darn shame that cold air doesn't come in quicker. Welp, we have to ride the Euro and hope for no more ticks north.

Are you talking a northern creep in temps that support snow? Or the storm itself? Because the first I agree wholeheartedly on the second not-so-much. Trough placement and axis would argue against the surface low being able to come much farther north on its track until after it passes our region.

3 minutes ago, showmethesnow said:

Are you talking a northern creep in temps that support snow? Or the storm itself? Because the first I agree wholeheartedly on the second not-so-much. Trough placement and axis would argue against the surface low being able to come much farther north on its track until after it passes our region.

Temps and resulting snowfall.  This started out a southern system and now our north is increasingly the better spot.

1 minute ago, mitchnick said:

What Gfs snowfall map are talking about?  I know this map includes snowfall for Massachusetts on north for today and tonight, but 40N is still looking better than us on this map.

http://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/models/?model=gfs&region=neus&pkg=asnow&runtime=2017020706&fh=66&xpos=0&ypos=357

Was just a quick comparison between the 00z and the 06z from wweatherbell. To be taken with a grain of salt of course. 

gfs_6hr_snow_acc_washdc_16_75.png

gfs_6hr_snow_acc_washdc_13_75.png

1 minute ago, mitchnick said:

Temps and resulting snowfall.  

That is a very real possibility. But after just having a chance to glance over the overnight Euro and GFS I do like what I see with the 500's. We see a little more dig and a slightly sharper trough and I think we are seeing the results with better snowfall output. While everybody will be rooting for that flatter trough with less dig i will be in my own corner rooting otherwise. :)

The Euro ensembles aren't of much use now but I know that many like to hear their snowfall output anyway.

Mean snowfall through the entire region has increased by roughly a half inch. We now see the 2 inch line south of DC by 20? miles. Dc sits at 2 1/2, Baltimore has 3 just skirting to the north and west with a pocket of 3 1/2 inches in N Balt county. Control is a nice hit with 4-5 inches through the DC/Balt region.

2 hours ago, mitchnick said:

I agree completely mitchnick, we've seen this before. Those who have seen snow this year, will get it, those who haven't... Well you get it.

Archived