Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
February 8-9 Cold Rain Event

yoda

1 hour ago, PennQuakerGirl said:

Kissing Party? Who else is going to be kissing besides the jet streams? ...and me?

Seriously though, is it...unusual for the models not to have a general consensus on the specifics of this storm with less than 48 hours to go?

Every storm is different but this type of setup no, these are really difficult for models to pin down because its just a progressive system along a boundary.  small changes in the boundary and strength of the vort cause big changes in the exact track.  

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, Roger Smith said:

Looking good this morning, RGEM has jumped in with a very late change but intense rates. Blend of GFS, NAM and RGEM suggests 6 to 10 inch potential near and north of I-95, trending to 2 to 6 in a zone with northern edge DCA-ACY.

Northern edge on DCA?  Northern edge of what?  Rain?

i dont see the euro caving. Everytime we think the euro is going to cave, it dosent move. Especially inside 60 hours. Now of course, its never the snowiest solution either lol....so there is that.  for this winter, i guess its pick the least snowiest model and you will be right

5 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

Every storm is different but this type of setup no, these are really difficult for models to pin down because its just a progressive system along a boundary.  small changes in the boundary and strength of the vort cause big changes in the exact track.  

Some of the snow maps are showing a jump just to the E of WMA along the Eastern Shore.  Is that due to the Low strengthening and making more cold air?  If so, if it slows down some, would that be good?  Or is the strengthening helped along by the fetch from warmer water off shore - although the "warmer" water in the Atlantic has cooled a lot since Dec and early Jan.  Just trying to understand what is pointing to the jump in sn to the East of us aside from the ever present DC snow hole.  Tks.

14 minutes ago, Ji said:

i dont see the euro caving. Everytime we think the euro is going to cave, it dosent move. Especially inside 60 hours. Now of course, its never the snowiest solution either lol....so there is that.  for this winter, i guess its pick the least snowiest model and you will be right

I approve of Ji's persistence forecasting.

1 minute ago, osfan24 said:

It's 989 though. Low 980s or something into the 970s would give us a much better shot at dragging down cold air, IMO.

Not sure thats gonna make much diff in the end.  This always was a thermally challenged event for the northern Mid Atl.

Nut

25 minutes ago, C.A.P.E. said:

I think it generally stays the course. Maybe a tick north. Probably it will be a bit dry compared to the rest of the 12z cycle.

I agree with you for the most part. Euro has been a rock the last 2 days of runs. About the only thing I question is the dryer part. Euro has a tendency to under play precip initially only to up it towards game time. Think that may be the case here as I see the other models really start juicing up. 

4 minutes ago, losetoa6 said:

True...but at hour 48 and at 989 it's bombing out so I'm guessing mid 980s at least while still near out latitude and coast.

Right but it's already moving by as us that point, and so has most of the precip. It's a case of too little, too late. For folks in Philly and especially north of there, that would probably help them out.

2 minutes ago, CARDC79 said:

Think we have another forum divider here...PA and higher elevation versus those in the cities and east of fall line. King Climo. 

At this point I'll take a cartopper that looks nice for 2 hours Thursday morning. 

PA shouldn't be a forum divider. That division is built into the board already. 

8 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

PA shouldn't be a forum divider. That division is built into the board already. 

You caught my tongue-cheek moment there sir. This forum seems to have more PA posters than MD/DC/VA combined. 

The really insightful folks (I.E.-PSU etc) aside, anyone from PA just posting deck pics and gloats should prob do so in the forum which actually lists PA - no? 

Apologies for the banter...

Just now, CARDC79 said:

You caught my tongue-cheek moment there sir. This forum seems to have more PA posters than MD/DC/VA combined. 

The really insightful folks (I.E.-PSU etc) aside, anyone from PA just posting deck pics and gloats should prob do so in the forum which actually lists PA - no? 

Apologies for the banter...

No apologies needed. It's probably best to get it out right here and right now. I'll speak for everyone. We don't give a single F about any ob/pic from PA except for a very very select few and they know who they are. There is a designated place for those already and has been since the board formed in 2010. 

Archived