SnowHabit
February 8-9 Cold Rain Event

yoda

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

Toaster

This is going to be interesting.  if the Euro comes in more amped and north adn I dont know what to expect here on the line.  

NAM has been consistant w/ precip fields, but has been ticking south.  Not sure where to put my money.

Nut

3 minutes ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

I'd be shocked if the Euro busted as badly as the gfs suggests it will.

I told my parents in CT last night they were getting snow from this and we weren't even though the euro said otherwise. Looks like that was a good call. I am still a bit surprised how the the low bombs on the last few runs.

3 minutes ago, PennQuakerGirl said:

@hour 48 on the 12z GFS, is that little blip of yellow right at the PA/MD/DE border just an artifact or is that a tiny area of heavy rain?

And @stormtracker: sorry! Didn't mean to get off topic!

Dynamics at their best!  Heavy rain and snow would transition to heavy snow.  Good spot to be in!

gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_eus_8 Feb 7_2017 12z gfs.png

If all else fails on this storm (not saying it will), but at least we have another opportunity potentially late next week. Back on topic--maybe if we don't warm as much as anticipated tomorrow, getting our temps back to respectability for snow won't be as difficult. I say this since we have seen this before right? So I'm now also rooting for a bust on high temps tomorrow. 

3rd cup of coffee just kicked in...

Yeah the little details matter at the surface for borderline events. One problem is that tonight we're not going to get any cooling. It's cloudy with a chance of light rain. If that breaks up before it gets here and we get several hours of clear skies...Maybe a big difference.

I hate myself. This is such a weenie post

Just now, WxWatcher007 said:

A truly catastrophic run in a catastrophic winter. Need the ukie and euro to hold. I'm kinda with winterwxluvr, hard to believe the euro busts this badly. Now we wait...again..

We're not within 24-hours though. At 48-hrs out, a 30-50 mile adjustment isn't that bad a bust. That's all we've seen so far in this 12Z model suite-- the GFS is warm because it's on the northern edge of the models. 

1 minute ago, paulythegun said:

Yeah the little details matter at the surface for borderline events. One problem is that tonight we're not going to get any cooling. It's cloudy with a chance of light rain. If that breaks up before it gets here and we get several hours of clear skies...Maybe a big difference.

I hate myself. This is such a weenie post

Tomorrow's temps before sundown will be key imo.

2 minutes ago, gymengineer said:

We're not within 24-hours though. At 48-hrs out, a 30-50 mile adjustment isn't that bad a bust. That's all we've seen so far in this 12Z model suite-- the GFS is warm because it's on the northern edge of the models. 

Good post. The gfs came in more amped in front of the vort so a NW shift was guaranteed. But is that the final solution? Flatten heights just a little leading in the GFS would have looked exactly like the euro. We're at the stage where a decent shot of precip is pretty much a lock but track of the low won't be locked for 24 hours imho. 

Just now, Bob Chill said:

Good post. The gfs came in more amped in front of the vort so a NW shift was guaranteed. But is that the final solution? Flatten heights just a little leading in the GFS would have looked exactly like the euro. We're at the stage where a decent shot of precip is pretty much a lock but track of the low won't be locked for 24 hours imho. 

And even if the GFS solution verifies, the Euro would still have been leading in depicting the precip bomb general scenario, with the details (where does accumulating snow start) worked out later. 

I still haven't given up hope on this one because if you can get a stronger storm while also keeping it far enough south, most of us could really prosper. That said, that's an unlikely combo and chances are it is rain to slop in the cities and the favored spots pick up a few inches, maybe more.

1 minute ago, losetoa6 said:

What a massive increase in qpf in one run of the gfs ...and at so close in range to the event. No way the outcome is set in stone yet. Expected from a meso model..but global at the 40 hour mark...wow

GFS has been very inconsistent the last 8 runs. It's kept the same general idea intact but too much variability run over run to take it as gospel. 

Euro has been very consistent for 3-4 runs. A shift NW @ 12z wouldn't surprise me (I kinda expect it) but the euro seems to have the best handle on this one so far. 

Canadian shifted NW and warmer too so 2 for 2 with the globals so far this AM. 

Archived