Newest Member
    joxey
February 8-9 Cold Rain Event

yoda

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, NorthArlington101 said:

Not saying anything that's gonna surprise anyone but this is gonna take a miracle for the cities. Its screaming subforum divider. I'm taking my gravestone and heading over to the Panic Room.

Analysis wise, nobody seemed to mention the EPS yet so I guess I'll try and be somewhat useful...

The mean improved for everyone, 2.5" now approaches NW D.C., the 2" line is safely south of Fairfax.

I think someone actually said just that.  Good consensus analysis! :)

2 minutes ago, DCTeacherman said:

Yeah this one isn't going to sting to be badly for me actually.  The writing has been on the wall for this one all along for DC.  

Couldn't agree more. At this point, I'd be happy with a little dusting or just to see flakes falling from the sky. I'll actually be happy if areas north and west of the cities get a nice little paste job. Climo says they deserve it!

1 minute ago, WxWatcher007 said:

Bob's right, but I think in the cities we'd still sign on the dotted line.

I think people are overthinking things right now. All guidance has showed us walking the line since our first discussion on this a couple days ago. Nothing has changed. Some of the posts seem like breaking news. lol. Guidance is slowly converging on a solution. Which so far the euro has been the most steady and all other guidance has been moving that direction. 

I'm sure the euro will have a shift @ 12z. And I would think the odds are against a shift towards colder/snowier. All I can root for is the most precip possible and let the rest just play out and not get hung up every couple hours when new "breaking news" comes out. lol

1 minute ago, cae said:

You and me both.  Have you seen the NAM?

UJHIUwO.png

3km and 4km NAMs look better for us, but it's still close.

Yeah, it's really close. I'd be happy to just see enough snow to whiten everything and get some nice rates early Thursday morning. Getting 4-6" would be a sweet bonus.

Playing with an interesting tool on WxBELL, here is the ens probability stuff for locations

1" 

DCA: 70%

Dale City: 60%

Winchester: 80%

Baltimore: 80%

The Mountains of NE MD: 80%

3" 

DCA: 30%

Dale City: 20%

Winchester: 50%

Baltimore: 30%

The Mountains of NE MD: 40-50%

.5" (Total Precip) 

DCA: 50%

Dale City: 50%

Winchester: 60%

Baltimore: 60%

The Mountains of NE MD: 60%

3 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

I think people are overthinking things right now. All guidance has showed us walking the line since our first discussion on this a couple days ago. Nothing has changed. Some of the posts seem like breaking news. lol. Guidance is slowly converging on a solution. Which so far the euro has been the most steady and all other guidance has been moving that direction. 

I'm sure the euro will have a shift @ 12z. And I would think the odds are against a shift towards colder/snowier. All I can root for is the most precip possible and let the rest just play out and not get hung up every couple hours when new "breaking news" comes out. lol

Definitely agree, Bob.

6 minutes ago, PennQuakerGirl said:

Isn't this one of those events that might come down to nowcasting in terms of pockets of higher accumulations? (Just because it seems like there are a lot of moving parts)

That's always involved, just more-so for some than others.

3 minutes ago, PennQuakerGirl said:

Isn't this one of those events that might come down to nowcasting in terms of pockets of higher accumulations? (Just because it seems like there are a lot of moving parts)

yes always nowcasting especially without cold in place.  I would think you have a better than good chance to see more than a couple of inches. 

6 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Meh. Most of the news is fake anyway. Lol. 

Fingers crossed for a MoCo/HoCo death band of slop...

1 minute ago, BristowWx said:

yes always nowcasting especially without cold in place.  I would think you have a better than good chance to see more than a couple of inches. 

No RavensRule, no.  Seriously.

And not trying to be a meanie, but can yall move the kissing stuff to the banter thread.  Thankies :) 

Well put Mr. Chill.

this ones always been a nail biter, but fortunately there are enough dynamics that can surpise/overcome.  

To answer kissygirls question...yes, there will likely be a little nowcasting/surprises, but only if the storm stayes amped...and your close to the line on this one.  No big changes likely at this juncture.  Too close to game time.

Nut

Archived