• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February 8-9 Cold Rain Event

yoda

A lot of awful posts over night. Regardless of whether or not Randy pulls the trigger on a new thread and storm mode, I will be hiding posts today if I think they are ridiculous and off topic. We have a banter thread for a reason. Give me crap all you want, but we are a public forum and some people need to learn to stay classy. 

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, usedtobe said:

For us I'm still pessimistic.  We probably see some snow but I'm not convinced we see any accumulations.   The veteran's day storm was much different, it had a upper low closing off and was way more dynamic that this trough.  Most models have the precip pretty much done by 12z.  I don't trust the rgem as it has run cold every storm this year that I can think of except the first cold air damming ice storm.  The second one, it was way too cold.  Below I've attached the vet day storm surface and 500h. vet_day_sstorm.png

Agreed, Wes and thank you.  We benefited from better dynamics with that storm where this one is more wavish.  The cold source was better too that helped drop temps more than this one.  i only wanted to point out how previous days temps can be warm and still get snow 24 hrs later. 

4 minutes ago, mappy said:

A lot of awful posts over night. Regardless of whether or not Randy pulls the trigger on a new thread and storm mode, I will be hiding posts today if I think they are ridiculous and off topic. We have a banter thread for a reason. Give me crap all you want, but we are a public forum and some people need to learn to stay classy. 

agreed.  when model runs come out provide info and not "toss" "torch" :o or similar stuff.  time to tighten up.

Just looked at the 3 hourly precip for DCA for the period ending at 12Z and both models only give DCA 0.10" which really doesn't give much time for snow to accumulate as it is still pretty warm at 09Z.  MY guess is for ANdy and I and Matt,  we see snow but only a coating on grass.  Up towards Mappy is more interesting as it gets colder faster and she could have a boomlet for a few hours.   Glad I don't have to make a decision til later. 

2 minutes ago, usedtobe said:

Just looked at the 3 hourly precip for DCA for the period ending at 12Z and both models only give DCA 0.10" which really doesn't give much time for snow to accumulate as it is still pretty warm at 09Z.  MY guess is for ANdy and I and Matt,  we see snow but only a coating on grass.  Up towards Mappy is more interesting as it gets colder faster and she could have a boomlet for a few hours.   Glad I don't have to make a decision til later. 

Would you agree that this is probably one of the more difficult forecasts of the last few years? I know no one storm is the same and all can have their own challenges but this one just seems like a crap chute to me. 

3 minutes ago, usedtobe said:

i like the sound of a boomlet. thanks for your thoughts, Wes!

6 minutes ago, BaltimoreWxGuy said:

Would you agree that this is probably one of the more difficult forecasts of the last few years? I know no one storm is the same and all can have their own challenges but this one just seems like a crap chute to me. 

I can remember quite a few really tough forecasts. any time you are on the edge is tough.  For you northern guys, I think the forecast is tougher as the snow will be falling around rush hour. 

1 minute ago, WxWatcher007 said:

I don't think I've seen a met say we have a chance in DC yet :( 

Yeah I can see why they're not giving us much of a shot.  Record warmth leading into the event and a poor track record with previous events like this.  However, it is encouraging that the Euro/RGEM/GEM still give us a shot.  A 3 hour period of intense rates even with warm ground could cause a little rush hour chaos, which I'm hoping for.  

Just now, WxWatcher007 said:

No doubt. At least we're still in the game. The runs today will be interesting. It won't take much to make this a solid event here.

Yeah, at this point I'd consider an inch or two to be a pretty big win for us, and it stills seems possible.  Heck, at least we have an event in the short-range to track.  That's a step up for us this year!

9 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

I don't think I've seen a met say we have a chance in DC yet :( 

They might be afraid to say anything for us. One small change affects everyone for better or worse. We wouldn't have a big chance set this point, but I don't think it's near 0.

1 minute ago, Mdecoy said:

This might be the first time in the 7 years I've lived in the area that I've been forecast to see a lot more snow than DC. (On the border of MD/Delaware at Interstate 95). Rooting for you guys down there, even up here not so sure of things.

Yeah, after looking at the 6z's it looks like the the northern tier of this forum still has some cards left.  Hoping they can pull it out.  

Nut

2 minutes ago, Mdecoy said:

This might be the first time in the 7 years I've lived in the area that I've been forecast to see a lot more snow than DC. (On the border of MD/Delaware at Interstate 95). Rooting for you guys down there, even up here not so sure of things.

I lived in Harford County most of my life and typically did better than DC.  Is it really that much different a few miles up 95? 

2 minutes ago, pasnownut said:

Yeah, after looking at the 6z's it looks like the the northern tier of this forum still has some cards left.  Hoping they can pull it out.  

Nut

Thanks! I think DC still have a shot at something.

2 minutes ago, birdsofprey02 said:

I lived in Harford County most of my life and typically did better than DC.  Is it really that much different a few miles up 95? 

Work at APG, live MD/DE border and I've found snow here has tracked almost perfectly with DC (plus or minus a few inches). We still miss the big coastals that slam NJ  etc. Just like DC.

Archived