SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
February 8-9 Cold Rain Event

yoda

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In March 1990, I had five days in a row of mid- to upper 80's and then picked up a couple inches of snow less than 72 hours later.  Within 48 hours it was back above 70, and then 36 hours later it snowed another 4"

ETA: just saw Gymengineer's post.  The first snowfall after the record highs was 3/20/1990 iirc.  Then we had the second one on 3/24.

Just now, mappy said:

I think Highstakes mentioned this yesterday -- could be similar outcome to the early Feb 2014 storm (before the ice). I picked up 5" in that event, while places just south of me (like Hunt Valley) had next to nothing. 

Yeah, I also had that storm in mind. I think I got a sloppy inch in the end. Very similar to Oct 2011 with the rain/snow line.

Likely outcome is 3-9 inches for most of noVA, DC and MD as rates will explode in deepening phase 03z-09z. As most of the snow would fall late overnight, rapid temp drops will be best utilized (as opposed to daytime heating contaminating).

If the RGEM is on to something, 20-30 inch potential for parts of southern New England, 10-15 NYC, 8-12 e PA and most of NJ north of ACY. But you guys should be in on the opening round of this rapidly intensifying storm. My ideas on point forecasts would be IAD 4.5" DCA 2.0" BWI 3.5" FDK 7.5" SBY 1.5" PHL 9.0" CHO 1.5" MGW 4.0" CXY 6.5"

Just now, Roger Smith said:

Likely outcome is 3-9 inches for most of noVA, DC and MD as rates will explode in deepening phase 03z-09z. As most of the snow would fall late overnight, rapid temp drops will be best utilized (as opposed to daytime heating contaminating).

If the RGEM is on to something, 20-30 inch potential for parts of southern New England, 10-15 NYC, 8-12 e PA and most of NJ north of ACY. But you guys should be in on the opening round of this rapidly intensifying storm. My ideas on point forecasts would be IAD 4.5" DCA 2.0" BWI 3.5" FDK 7.5" SBY 1.5" PHL 9.0" CHO 1.5" MGW 4.0" CXY 6.5"

Just gonna quote this for posterity

8 minutes ago, osfan24 said:

Some of that is actually possible, albeit maybe unlikely, but 30 inches for Southern NE seems just physically impossible given how fast the storm moves. It would have to snow 3-4 inches an hour the entire time.

Not impossible with the way Kevin measures.

Just now, BristowWx said:

That's something we haven't seen in a long time.  Snow bands moving east to west.  I could have stopped at "snow"

Yeah, you know the low is cranking up when that happens. 

This will be such a tough forecast, and I'm trying to keep my expectations at a bare minimum.

Archived