Newest Member
    SnowHabit
February 8-9 Cold Rain Event

yoda

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

Not to rain, or snow, on anyone's parade, but is anyone else's enthusiasm dampened by the warm temps leading in and the warm temps on the other side?  

I suppose it would be nice to see, if it's not 4am, some heavy snow falling, but were temps going to be cold afterward, I'd be much more hyped about this.

Whatever, I hope all get what would give them joy.  God knows we all need a little after this god awful 2 year stretch.

Yeah this storm, even if it managed to give us 3-6 inches, would be a distant memory by Saturday anyway.  

5 minutes ago, losetoa6 said:

That would be nice...I know nam was  showing this over Northern Va area yesterday but honestly I haven't been tracking that phase of this system but most here will take anything from either .

TT snow map for 6z gfs has 1- 2" over this way and most of it seems to come from that feature. I'm not counting on that lol.

2 minutes ago, mappy said:

:lol: you'll have to be more specific with your location. 

shhhh, the weather gods will hear you

lol.

Gotta say that the Euro is starting to look like the NAM...

looking forward to the 12z to see whos in and whos...well....not in.

I'm hoping for a Euro/NAM blend for all of us.

Nut

1 hour ago, mappy said:

OK. Actually taking the time to write out a nice post. Focusing mainly up my area, sorry southerners. 

Looking at soundings

NAM: 33° IMBY at hour 51, pouring rain. Surface is at 30° by hour 54, snow. Some sneaky warm air comes in at hour 57, 28° at the surface but above freezing at 700mb, so a freezing rain mix, precip is pretty much out of the area by this point, so won't matter anyways. Pivotalweather.com has .73 of qpf. I'd guess about .4 of that would be at or below freezing. 

GFS: Hour 48, surface is 36° with light precip. Probably rain, though column is mostly at or below freezing all the way down. All snow by hour 54, surface is 30°. Precip is out of the area by hour 60, but another small batch comes through at hour 66. Most QPF is from hour 48 to 54 (with .54 falling IMBY). I'd say half of that is snow? I'd guess changeover would be quick given rates and an already close to freezing column when precip starts. 

Euro: Precip moves in around hour 48 (06z), surface temp ~37°, rest of the column is below freezing. Hour 54, surface down to ~30° with good precip. About .4 qpf falls between hour 48 and hour 54. I'll say half of that is snow. Light precip off and on the rest of the day, temps below freezing IMBY. 

If I had to forecast today, I'd go with 2-4" of paste IMBY. 

I'd be happy to give quick rundowns for other locations from Euro. :) 

How about the Haymarket VA area please

1 minute ago, budice2002 said:

How about the Haymarket VA area please

last one

hr 48: 44°, column is too warm, .2 qpf

hr 54: 35°, column is good, .6 qpf

maybe an inch if you can flip early enough? gonna lose a lot of that qpf to rain. 

9 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

I'm not chasing 8-10 day threats. We need to produce and we need to produce now.

Also, LOL at people already poo pooing lack of snow cover after the debacle of a winter we've had. You'll get what you get and like it :lol: 

Settle down.  I need you to move your finger off the Fukushima button.  :P

i'll pray the Euro remains King, otherwise white raindrops keep falling on my head.

2 minutes ago, mappy said:

last one

hr 48: 44°, column is too warm, .2 qpf

hr 54: 35°, column is good, .6 qpf

maybe an inch if you can flip early enough? gonna lose a lot of that qpf to rain. 

That's a respectable qpf total. Cool the column a little faster, and we're in business!

Archived