Newest Member
    joxey
February 9th Coastal Storm Discussion

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, sbos_wx said:

I know but I've always liked both. Wind has never had any impact on snowpack here. So I guess I don't get that argument of wind affecting pack. I've lived in the interior too.

If you are in an exposed area without many trees, wind can be annoying to pack-lovers.

Actually, my worst spot for wind ironically was back in school in Ithaca, NY...the winds there was always pretty brutal...the snow would blow into these drifts where you'd have bare grass showing where the wind scoured away the snow.

1 minute ago, OceanStWx said:

Jelly. Of your stash and your location for tomorrow. I begrudgingly admit you look to be in a really nice spot.

Just as we were if you in Dec crusher up there while we rained.

We still have to do the trade with you and Ekster. I have 4 Swish I worked out in snotherxtrade. So good. Save them as long as possible 

18 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

I'm so amped up. Treehouse and Trillium drinking like Halloween candy.. let's do this 

you should take a ride up to Turners Falls for Brick and Feather growlers some time.

So as not to go totally OT, the school closings are coming in rapidly now... Tuesday schools were closed and many had delays this morning with potentially a snowy week ahead and vacation looming.  

Thanks for all the comments everyone. Lurking > posting due to work but good stuff as always.

For those learning about being in good "cross hairs"... (Mets correct or add anything)

Nice sounding for KBOS off 18z NAM.

1) Dendritic growth zone (DGZ, labeled in blue circle), assuming -10˚C to -20˚C (purple lines), the temperature range at which optimal crystal growth occurs.

2) Within the DGZ, the green line (dewpoint) and red line (temperature) overlap, indicated a saturated column within the DGZ.

3) OMEGA bars on the left indicate upward vertical motion (UVV).

4) The area of maximum UVV (yellow box) colocalizes with the saturated area within the DGZ, parameters for heavy snow with good snow growth.

nam_2017020818_024_KBOS_edited.png

Archived