Newest Member
    joxey
February 9th Coastal Storm Discussion

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, SR Airglow said:

While the UKIE is good, it's not that good; you're including all of today in there. 8-10" for most on it is more realistic.

Regardless, looks like we're in the game for a widespread warning event.

Yeah, it's a solid warning event with upwards of a foot.

This compared to the distinct possibility of a whiff a day ago.

It's only "not that good" if you are MECS-hunting.

6 minutes ago, SR Airglow said:

While the UKIE is good, it's not that good; you're including all of today in there. 8-10" for most on it is more realistic.

Regardless, looks like we're in the game for a widespread warning event.

ukie 8-10.gif

If it bombed as depicted you'd get 12--18.

31 minutes ago, The 4 Seasons said:

If you get crazy rates and explosive bombogensis i don't think 1-2 feet is out of the question, I wouldn't forecast that right now though.

Feb 5th 2001 was a fast mover but dropped 1-2 feet for most of the state in less than a 12hr period.

Dude ... oh man - do you know how hard it is to reel Kevin in and you say this! ? 

ahahah. j/k... 

Yeah, actually ..truth be told I was thinking that whether 1-2" verified or not...  what's the difference when the GFS snow maps paint 12 to 18 -  ...doesn't that count? 

But more specific to Meteorology, this thing still has one fantastic frotogenic look to it... This thing could snow 3 or 4" /hr in a meso band or two, no problem with that look. 

OceanWx was confirming that look yesterday using their methods ...it seems like  slam dunk.  Open wave 120 knt 500 mb jet core passing 1.5 (quintessential climo) lat/lon E of ISP and the q-vector forcing is off the charts so some sort of deepening rate isn't shocking in the models there. 

I would never forecast over 12-14" in this setup until closer in...this moves fast. You need a lot of things to line up to get huge amounts when the bulk of the snow is a 6-8 hour storm.

Possible? Yes. There's some impressive sigs on this system, but it could just as easily be 6-8 hours of 1-2" per hour and there's your 9-14"...with maybe a lolli 16-18".

I'm gonna want to see some monster fronto and maybe some -EPV inside of 30 hours to start forecasting widespread 1-2 feet. Or somehow capture this storm so it turns into a 12-15 hour storm instead of <10 hours.

3 minutes ago, CarverWX said:

I guess my point was I don't see it raining here. Maybe a wetter snow to start.The GFS seems to always show us being warmer so the snow maps suck.

It could be a real man snow for a little while there. But I honestly would not get too cute with ratios, totals etc yet.

2 minutes ago, CarverWX said:

I guess my point was I don't see it raining here. Maybe a wetter snow to start.The GFS seems to always show us being warmer so the snow maps suck.

And I'll agree with you.  Looks like a wet paste job or "Man snow" as the weenies like to call it.  It's low level warmth that will be easily obliterated.

Archived