Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Coastal Crusher Feb 9th 2017

WeatherFeen2000

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, NorthShoreWx said:

There was a 5" snowfall in NYC in late March of 1998 that was pretty much the only snowfall they had that season.  I think he would know what year he came here.

Then it was two different storms. Rays site has no record of the March 98 storm.

5 minutes ago, NJwx85 said:

You're right bud sorry I was thinking about this year... the funny part is none of the weather meteorologist knew about it. It was a complete surprise by everyone just woke up in the morning it was the biggest snow I've seen ever because I grew up where there wasn't much snow.

March 22 1997 - It appeared this winter was going to have the least snow on record, with just 0.5" measured.  Then a surprise five-inch snowfall occurred overnight and the winter of 1998 ended up as the fourth least snowy (behind 1973, 1919 and 1932).  It would fall to fourth place four years later when the winter of 2001-02 had just 3.5".  

1 minute ago, WeatherFeen2000 said:

You're right bud sorry I was thinking about this year... the funny part is none of the weather meteorologist knew about it. It was a complete surprise by everyone just woke up in the morning it was the biggest snow I've seen ever because I grew up where there wasn't much snow.

March 22 1997 - It appeared this winter was going to have the least snow on record, with just 0.5" measured.  Then a surprise five-inch snowfall occurred overnight and the winter of 1998 ended up as the fourth least snowy (behind 1973, 1919 and 1932).  It would fall to fourth place four years later when the winter of 2001-02 had just 3.5".  

5 minutes ago, NorthShoreWx said:

There was a 5" snowfall in NYC in late March of 1998 that was pretty much the only snowfall they had that season.  I think he would know what year he came here.

We are getting into the range when looking at small changes in run to run qpf output is a waste of time. Smooth things out to get the best overall forecast. 8-12 is solid for the metro. Those 30mm blobs that keep moving around run to run will be your jackpot area in the deform. Impossible to say where that is now. But I like 18" for the jackpot for our area. 

42 minutes ago, NJwx85 said:

Then it was two different storms. Rays site has no record of the March 98 storm.

Must be a typo. There was a 5 inches on March 22, 1998. 

I remember it vividly because I got married the month before and it was a snowless winter with only 0.5" up to that point. 

It was a Sunday and my wife and I slept until noon. By the time we woke up, the 5" was basically all melted. 

It was ironic because it was the first day of spring. 

Just now, yhbrooklyn said:

I remember it vividly because I got married the month before and it was a snowless winter with only 0.5" up to that point. 

It was a Sunday and my wife and I slept until noon. By the time we woke up, the 5" was basically all melted. 

Only 'snow year' with more snow in astronomical spring than astronomical winter. Without that, would have been the least snowiest 'snow year' (1 July - 30 June).

7 minutes ago, yhbrooklyn said:

I wonder if that storm missed NJ entirely. Rays site is NJ focused.

Archived