Newest Member
    joxey
Coastal Crusher Feb 9th 2017

WeatherFeen2000

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, UlsterCountySnowZ said:

You guys are gonna drive yourselves nuts... there's 1 guarantee... Long Island will see more snow than anyone here lol... other than that, be happy with your 12" lol

Eh LI will do well but I expect perhaps the heaviest to fall along an arc from, say West Milford, NJ to Danbury, Ct

7 minutes ago, UlsterCountySnowZ said:

You guys are gonna drive yourselves nuts... there's 1 guarantee... Long Island will see more snow than anyone here lol... other than that, be happy with your 12" lol

When the best banding is modeled over LI it ends up in NENJ

45 minutes ago, Franklin0529 said:

Hows nam for coastal monmouth? How long does it mix?  Knock down totals alot 

NAM looks like it has a fair amount less snow for NJ up to about a Bordentown to Sandy Hook line, which appears to be the 6" line and it appears it's due more to lack of precip, when looking at the total precip map (0.5-0.75" for NJ SE of that line), not rain.  To the NW of that line, precip amounts quickly go to 1.0-1.25" and snowfall goes to 8-10" or so, for, say Trenton to Perth Amboy (that's only a 5-10 mile shift NW).  My guess is that cutoff is overdone, but it's interesting, at least.  

TWC going with 8-12" for just about all of Central Jersey and eastern PA, north of about 276/195, with less down towards Philly (6-8") and South Jersey (even less than Philly).  

And the 1Z HRRR only showing 0.5-0.75" of precip for most of Central/North NJ - 6-9" of snow.  Hope that's not correct...

3 minutes ago, Rjay said:

When the best banding is modeled over LI it ends up in NENJ

I generally agree, but there seems to be a second precip max in this case. If that secondary band does develop over Westchester and NNJ, I suspect some convection will keep the LI band SE over Long Island. 

I will be more comfortable in NYC staying out of major subsidence if the RGEM holds steady and the 6z NAM shifts southeast.

4 minutes ago, WeatherFeen2000 said:

thats what I'm saying, we won't know that until tomorrow

Hey may have taken a shot in the dark but it may be slightly correct... Nam is very warm for parts of the south shore and ELI at the surface, 850s drop below 0 quickly but are marginal, not saying mixing for sure, but their ratios will be nowhere near what areas NW are seeing, which will certainly hamper totals with a fast mover 

2 minutes ago, RU848789 said:

NAM looks like it has a fair amount less snow for NJ up to about a Bordentown to Sandy Hook line, which appears to be the 6" line and it appears it's due more to lack of precip, when looking at the total precip map (0.5-0.75" for NJ SE of that line), not rain.  To the NW of that line, precip amounts quickly go to 1.0-1.25" and snowfall goes to 8-10" or so, for, say Trenton to Perth Amboy (that's only a 5-10 mile shift NW).  My guess is that cutoff is overdone, but it's interesting, at least.  TWC going with 8-12" for just about all of Central Jersey and eastern PA, north of about 276/195, with less down towards Philly (6-8") and South Jersey (even less than Philly).  

I don't expect to see 12 in our parts, and 6 might still be on the table, but 8-10 is my guess. But to think a week ago we didn't expect much of anything. Local schools are canceled and my son just informed me Rutgers has canceled classes, that almost never happens.

3 minutes ago, Rjay said:

Post your evidence

I'm not talking about you I'm talking about extreme Long Island like Montauk and Cape Cod. From personal experience if this tracks the way the nam is depicting it NYC is going to jackpot as this is a coastal storm therefore the heaviest precipitation will fall near the coast. Since NYC is all snow I think we jackpot. Bronx is particularly on that jackpot zone because of the Long Island sound enhancement but we won't really know until tomorrow. Also I would bet that north of Long Island expressway Port Jefferson, NY that place looks like it won't mix but south of that may mix for a while.

IMG_1523.PNG

1 minute ago, psv88 said:

Haha my post sent before I finished. Here as in the speed, track and dynamics of the storm. I don't see how the best bands are west of nyc.

I agree with that.  This storm is so progressive and it's absolutely bombing as it tracks quickly from the Deleware coast to SE of the ACK, so LI will probably end up with the highest totals.

Archived