joxey
Coastal Crusher Feb 9th 2017

WeatherFeen2000

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, Franklin0529 said:

Hows nam for coastal monmouth? How long does it mix?  Knock down totals alot 

North of Belmar should be alright for at least decent amounts, south of there might be in trouble. Models today are warming those areas up quite a bit and delaying the changeover. Winds staying onshore there also hurts (NE is still onshore). For Long Island, NE wind is off land. That helps NYC and LI change over almost immediately. 

Just now, psv88 said:

No. 850 low closes off SE of the east end. The low will be rapidly deepening as well, cold strong n winds. 

I know what is modeled but I also feel the storm is maturing earlier combined with a seeping cold push rather than a coast clearing front. I'd be surprised if it wasn't tickling the East end when all said and done

3 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

North of Belmar should be alright for at least decent amounts, south of there might be in trouble. Models today are warming those areas up quite a bit and delaying the changeover. Winds staying onshore there also hurts (NE is still onshore). For Long Island, NE wind is off land. That helps NYC and LI change over almost immediately. 

Whats decent amount? Im 6 miles north of sandy hook. 6-8" or more?

1 minute ago, brooklynwx99 said:

I'm not sure why the NAM has been so insistent on bands far inland. The RGEM, UKMET, and Euro disagree. 

The NAM notoriously overdoes these bands, and we've gotten burned on that before. Although it still sticking with this now may mean it's onto something. But bands like these shift around and are hard to catch on models. 

8 minutes ago, weatherpruf said:

What's with you and subsidence dude? We don't have a clue how much subsidence there will be or where, or if it will even matter much. there's a great storm coming, let's enjoy it!

It's a pretty important meteorological phenomenon in such dynamic events and probably should be mentioned as a possible outcome...?

7 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

The NAM notoriously overdoes these bands, and we've gotten burned on that before. Although it still sticking with this now may mean it's onto something. But bands like these shift around and are hard to catch on models. 

I'm hoping it's the traditional amped up NAM overdoing things, but it has done an excellent job this winter at this range.

1 minute ago, mimillman said:

It's a pretty important meteorological phenomenon in such dynamic events and probably should be mentioned as a possible outcome...?

There is that potential considering the fact that a few models are hinting at 1 band NW of the city and another for LI. The city may very well get trapped in subsidence. Like many others have said though, we really won't know where this takes place until it actually happens

Archived