SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Coastal Crusher Feb 9th 2017

WeatherFeen2000

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

FWIW, this is from a Pro Met who I knew in college: (I'm not trained, so I'm not sure what to make of it)

"Some of the higher resolution mesoscale models are slowing the advance of cold air. The NAM model keeps the precipitation as all rain as late as 7 AM before changing over to snow. (For those of you who read the old FOUS tables, see the attached image. Yes, FOUS still is useful!). Some of the latest runs of the HRRR model are trending slower with the cold air as well. This means that the core of cold air might arrive after the strongest atmospheric lift and precipitation.

Best guess for Central NJ: Rain starts after midnight, heavy at times. Changes to sleet sometime between 4 and 6 AM, then eventually to all snow, heavy at times during the morning.

Heaviest snow will occur along the axis of heaviest precipitation across Central & Northern NJ over toward NYC, where there could be 4-8” of snow when the event wraps up around lunchtime. Less snow to the south near Philly where it will be warmer.

Some of the private sector websites that publish maps of model data are using a ridiculous scheme for determining the snow ratio (they assume it will be light and fluffy tomorrow — not!). Showing these maps is horribly irresponsible. Be skeptical of model snowfall maps you see posted online today!"

2 minutes ago, North and West of Town said:

FWIW, this is from a Pro Met who I knew in college: (I'm not trained, so I'm not sure what to make of it)

"Some of the higher resolution mesoscale models are slowing the advance of cold air. The NAM model keeps the precipitation as all rain as late as 7 AM before changing over to snow. (For those of you who read the old FOUS tables, see the attached image. Yes, FOUS still is useful!). Some of the latest runs of the HRRR model are trending slower with the cold air as well. This means that the core of cold air might arrive after the strongest atmospheric lift and precipitation.

Best guess for Central NJ: Rain starts after midnight, heavy at times. Changes to sleet sometime between 4 and 6 AM, then eventually to all snow, heavy at times during the morning.

Heaviest snow will occur along the axis of heaviest precipitation across Central & Northern NJ over toward NYC, where there could be 4-8” of snow when the event wraps up around lunchtime. Less snow to the south near Philly where it will be warmer.

Some of the private sector websites that publish maps of model data are using a ridiculous scheme for determining the snow ratio (they assume it will be light and fluffy tomorrow — not!). Showing these maps is horribly irresponsible. Be skeptical of model snowfall maps you see posted online today!"

he's too far on the other side of the spectrum.  

lol 4-8 in the "heaviest"

and no one is buying the output verbatim (i think the ratios are way too high personally) - this is regionwide 8-12 lollis to 15, maybe a spot 18.  

2 minutes ago, North and West of Town said:

I think the 20"+ on some of the maps is overdone, but I don't think 12+ is given he evolution of the storm. And any warm air will be gone very fast once the heavy precip starts. One of the reasons some models delay the cold air is that the storm is trending slightly slower. But from LBI and south, warm air will probably hang on longer and there accums will be cut back quite a bit. 

1 minute ago, danstorm said:

he's too far on the other side of the spectrum.  

lol 4-8 in the "heaviest"

and no one is buying the output verbatim (i think the ratios are way too high personally) - this is regionwide 8-12 lollis to 15, maybe a spot 18.  

thanks. he is based in Central NJ, and he's been very conservative the past few years in his forecasts, after being burned in the past.

1 minute ago, jm1220 said:

I think the 20"+ on some of the maps is overdone, but I don't think 12+ is given he evolution of the storm. And any warm air will be gone very fast once the heavy precip starts. One of the reasons some models delay the cold air is that the storm is trending slightly slower. But from LBI and south, warm air will probably hang on longer and there accums will be cut back quite a bit. 

Thanks. I appreciate the reasonable analysis for when their are thing I truly don't understand.

thats a great post there. I bet you that pro met is onto something..why are all the professional mets generally 6-12 while the clown and Kuchera maps are showing 12-18..why is everyone here so confident of high ratios..isnt the temps going to be in the low 30s for a lot of this storm dropping to the upper 20s...this would be a very wet snow not light fluffy...can anyone speak to this 

1 minute ago, winterwarlock said:

thats a great post there. I bet you that pro met is onto something..why are all the professional mets generally 6-12 while the clown and Kuchera maps are showing 12-18..why is everyone here so confident of high ratios..isnt the temps going to be in the low 30s for a lot of this storm dropping to the upper 20s...this would be a very wet snow not light fluffy...can anyone speak to this 

My guess is that it is the warmth to overcome, and a storm at 32/33 degrees that might move too quickly? (Just looking at it in regards to common sense; not scientifically at all. Goodness, I've become my father!)

1 minute ago, winterwarlock said:

Just wishcasting.   Every storm I follow on here I learn new dream theories of why we will see better than average ratios

1 minute ago, Breene said:

Just wishcasting.   Every storm I follow on here I learn new dream theories of why we will see better than average ratios

I think near the coast by 14Z ratios reach 11 or 12 to 1, before that probably right around 9-10:1.  The winds are going to be fairly strong which doesn't help either.

5 minutes ago, winterwarlock said:

Nick Gregory just now on twitter went 8-12 with isolated 15" area wide imo the best on air pro met in ny. Take it fwiw

Just now, jm1220 said:

I mean, if the snow/mix starts light there will be some lost to the warm ground from today, but if it comes in like a wall it will start accumulating. I've seen it accumulate before at midday in April coming off a warm day prior. 

We are forecasted to start as rain...its not a surprise. By 7 am we will all be pouring snow at obscene rates. 

2 minutes ago, psv88 said:

We are forecasted to start as rain...its not a surprise. By 7 am we will all be pouring snow at obscene rates. 

I've seen many of these storms start as rain over the years, but darn it really was warm today. I will say this, after this past year, I'm not one to sit back and assume statistical consensus equals final outcome....

Archived