SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Coastal Crusher Feb 9th 2017

WeatherFeen2000

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
this is my forecast. 12 inches for Manhattan, some spots in southern queens county could get up to 18 inches in my opinion. someone will get clobbered with 20 inches, possibly port jefferson and or northeastern NJ

For once I think you may not be that far off.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

6 minutes ago, WeatherFeen2000 said:

this is my forecast. 12 inches for Manhattan, Bronx 14 inches, Brooklyn 14, Staten Island 11...some spots in southern Queens county could get up to 18 inches in my opinion. someone will get clobbered with 20 inches, possibly Port Jefferson, Long Island and or northeastern NJ

Please stop with wishcasting. 

17 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

That night was one of the best snow events I've seen here by far. My total was about 16" IIRC but 13 of it fell in 4 hours with the upper air low. It was literally just a wall of white. This coming event might give that one a good run if the RGEM is right. 

I remember driving on 287 in Edison with my then 16 year old son and it was simply a wall of sleet and then we heard the thunder multiple times - THUNDERSLEET!!  While the road was getting a bit icy, we just kept driving for an extra 15-20 min, just to be out in it (wasn't much traffic).  It changed to snow as we got home and ripped for hours - got about 12" in 7 hours and 18" overall (5" from part one earlier in the day).  

53 minutes ago, donsutherland1 said:

Below is a list of NYC's 4" or greater snowfalls following days with high temperatures of 50° or above. As of 11 am, NYC has a high temperature of 55°. LGA and JFK have highs of 59° and 58° respectively.

NYC02082017.jpg

Must've been quite the post-Christmas shock in 1933 - from springlike to major snowstorm to well below zero.   March 1970 was the white Easter, 11" of mid-20s powder thru the middle of the day in NNJ.  My future wife (we were dating at the time) said the sunrise service at Wanaque Reservoir was brutally cold, cloudy with a raw east wind a couple hours before the flakes arrived.

3 minutes ago, UlsterCountySnowZ said:

Back to my earlier point, I would junk the low not closing off would enhance the swath of snow, as oppose to keeping it so well confined 

The low will not close off. This is bc of the lack of a greenland block. There is a transient block, hence the storm is progressive.

12 minutes ago, donsutherland1 said:

Given the timing and intensity of the snow, it is probably more likely than not that NYC's schools will be closed.

This is the best possible timing for a closure...snow starts at 2-3am, gets heavy by 5am (when the decision is usually made), and continues through the morning commute, making roads impassable for commute and paralyzing trains.

2 minutes ago, nzucker said:

This is the best possible timing for a closure...snow starts at 2-3am, gets heavy by 5am (when the decision is usually made), and continues through the morning commute, making roads impassable for commute and paralyzing trains.

My school I know has a number of teachers who are from upstate, out of state, LI, further away areas of NYC...if they do hold school I can safely say teacher attendance would be low.

Archived