Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Coastal Crusher Feb 9th 2017

WeatherFeen2000

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

The shifts around in max QPF are also just model noise for the most part. Bands won't be nailed down until the very end. The favored spots for the jackpot are on the north shore in Suffolk and just north and west of NYC, but everyone's in for a very nice event. 

Thank you. I'm in MMU, and while it's no coastal Monmouth or Western Suffolk, let's not forget that most of us will enjoy a really nice event, even if it's not historic.

I'll go Full Dad for a moment: Please don't lose sight of how rare this was in the late '80s and early '90s. Those were my elementary school years and NEVER saw anything like this. Please be grateful.

3 minutes ago, donsutherland1 said:

Below is a list of NYC's 4" or greater snowfalls following days with high temperatures of 50° or above. As of 11 am, NYC has a high temperature of 55°. LGA and JFK have highs of 59° and 58° respectively.

NYC02082017.jpg

Don , it DIVES into the low 20s at the height , there is so much upward motion as the system is so dynamic that the cold level just collapses right to 2M.

gfs_T2m_neus_6.png

2 minutes ago, RUMG11 said:

Nice area. 

When Mt. Holly issues WSW's for the entire state, outside of your own county... feels bad man lol

Lets keep that R/S line moving south. 

Down by you it also makes a difference as to what part of Egg Harbor you're in. If you live out by the Mays Landing border you will do better than areas closer to Somers Point.

1 minute ago, North and West of Town said:

Thank you. I'm in MMU, and while it's no coastal Monmouth or Western Suffolk, let's not forget that most of us will enjoy a really nice event, even if it's not historic.

I'll go Full Dad for a moment: Please don't lose sight of how rare this was in the late '80s and early '90s. Those were my elementary school years and NEVER saw anything like this. Please be grateful.

Yep. 4-6" was a huge deal back then and usually closed schools in the burbs. A foot was unheard of

1 minute ago, forkyfork said:

speed is keeping this from being in the league of boxing day/feb 2013/jan 2016. even so, we look good for a period of 2-4" per hour rates and thunder 

Classic W Essex / W Union bonus zone storm ;-), what are you thinking for max amounts somewhere in the area? ~ 14/15"?

Just now, NJwx85 said:

Down by you it also makes a difference as to what part of Egg Harbor you're in. If you live out by the Mays Landing border you will do better than areas closer to Somers Point.

I'm right in the ACY area. A good bit further north then Somers Point, and about a 20 minute drive off Absecon Island.

2 minutes ago, forkyfork said:

speed is keeping this from being in the league of boxing day/feb 2013/jan 2016. even so, we look good for a period of 2-4" per hour rates and thunder 

Looks like a colder version of 1/22/87 to some extent. In and out in about 7 hours, picked up 11.5". East of the city didn't do well, too much mixing

17 minutes ago, danstorm said:

Again, let's not lose the forest for the trees.  Accumulation nuances are really noise right now.  The CCB will engulf just about everyone and dump - could be some heavier embedded bands but you are all going to get heavy snow.

Snowfall for this board is actually about as uniform as it gets for a given storm.

I like PB's 8-12 with lollis to 15 right now.

Well said.  I just posted elsewhere that I could see the general 6-10" winter storm warning forecasts for Central/North Jersey/SENY/LI/CT going up to 8-12" for most in the area, with some areas getting up to 15" where the most intense convective banding is - which can never really be well predicted in advance, given that it's a mesoscale feature, akin to t-storms.  Going to be fun to watch.  If you can telecommute tomorrow morning (I can, luckily, which means I get to measure snow, lol), please do so, as it's going to be a mess.  

There's an impressive amount of cold air right beyond the NY/Canadian Border. Thursday night/Friday am should have some real deal cold to go along with our snow.

Also, not a fan of that sucker hole being model in the hrrr to run right through Morris County, but .7 qpf will still be my largest storm of the season. Bring it on!

1 minute ago, SnowGoose69 said:

I think some areas were shafted by subsidence too.  JFK and NYC measured less than EWR and LGA

The main thing I remember was walking to school with bare ground and trudging home through 10" of snow. By dark we had some sleet and then it was gone, but we had about 5 hours of very intense snow. That storm crushed the midatlantic too however

26 minutes ago, danstorm said:

Again, let's not lose the forest for the trees.  Accumulation nuances are really noise right now.  The CCB will engulf just about everyone and dump - could be some heavier embedded bands but you are all going to get heavy snow.

Snowfall for this board is actually about as uniform as it gets for a given storm.

I like PB's 8-12 with lollis to 15 right now.

Amazing Dan that we are going to do this in about 10 hours . 

We will not know where the most intense banding will set up tomorrow until it shows itself on radar .Where the initial maxed out frontogenesis intersects with the CCB  is where you see the 12 to 15 numbers  . 

I think in CNJ we have to fight off and hour or 2 of rain to bring the BL back from 50 tonight . But once this explodes it is just going NUKE .

Great rates with Thunder . 

5 minutes ago, PB GFI said:

Amazing Dan that we are going to do this in about 10 hours . 

We will not know where the most intense banding will set up tomorrow until it shows itself on radar .Where the initial maxed out frontogenesis intersects with the CCB  is where you see the 12 to 15 numbers  . 

I think in CNJ we have to fight off and hour or 2 of rain to bring the BL back from 50 tonight . But once this explodes it is just going NUKE .

Great rates with Thunder . 

I remember late January 2011 when NYC transitioned from rain to sleet to snow (even had a severe sleet thunderstorm in there), and from about 9 pm to 5 am, so eight hours or so, we had 16 inches of snow (I think the final total was 19", as it was combined with snow that fell earlier in the day, if I recall correctly).  Maybe we can get lucky with this storm as well.

10 minutes ago, NYCGreg said:

I remember late January 2011 when NYC transitioned from rain to sleet to snow (even had a severe sleet thunderstorm in there), and from about 9 pm to 5 am, so eight hours or so, we had 16 inches of snow (I think the final total was 19", as it was combined with snow that fell earlier in the day, if I recall correctly).  Maybe we can get lucky with this storm as well.

That night was one of the best snow events I've seen here by far. My total was about 16" IIRC but 13 of it fell in 4 hours with the upper air low. It was literally just a wall of white. This coming event might give that one a good run if the RGEM is right. 

Archived