Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Coastal Crusher Feb 9th 2017

WeatherFeen2000

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, swamplover56 said:

Just thinking being a kid in the mid eighties to the early 90's 8-12" seemed historic.  How spoiled we have become lol

We would have killed for that in the 80s. I couldn't buy a snow day on the south shore as a kid. And to think another Long Island jackpot. This new climate is exactly the opposite of what I would have expected 

2 minutes ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

We would have killed for that in the 80s. I couldn't buy a snow day on the south shore as a kid. And to think another Long Island jackpot. This new climate is exactly the opposite of what I would have expected 

And it's at the expense of traditionally much snowier places like the Catskills and central PA. They can add up to a decent amount every winter but the coast hugger tracks that buried them in the 1990s are gone now. Part of it I think is the warmer ocean helping develop more coastal lows that then track toward the Gulf Stream.

8 minutes ago, swamplover56 said:

Just thinking being a kid in the mid eighties to the early 90's 8-12" seemed historic.  How spoiled we have become lol

I was stuck in an 8-12 inch storm in Jan 87 and it was epic, it was a disaster no one was ready for. We did have a massive blizzard in Feb 83 that was 18 inches though.

2 minutes ago, WeatherFeen2000 said:

The year I came to this country. NYC got 5 inches I remember it like it was yesterday. Except that was march 31st 1998 not 1997. 

Regarding our storm coming up, Man all the models look great can't ask for a better storm hopefully it all pans out!

No it was 97'

http://www.raymondcmartinjr.com/weather/1997/31-Mar-97.html

1 minute ago, NJwx85 said:

You're right bud sorry I was thinking about this year... the funny part is none of the weather meteorologist knew about it. It was a complete surprise by everyone just woke up in the morning it was the biggest snow I've seen ever because I grew up where there wasn't much snow.

March 22 1997 - It appeared this winter was going to have the least snow on record, with just 0.5" measured.  Then a surprise five-inch snowfall occurred overnight and the winter of 1998 ended up as the fourth least snowy (behind 1973, 1919 and 1932).  It would fall to fourth place four years later when the winter of 2001-02 had just 3.5".  

Archived