joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Coastal Crusher Feb 9th 2017

WeatherFeen2000

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey Fellas, sorry for the quick off model discussion post......I'm very well familiar with model watching and how the GFS/NAM/EURO plays out within 48 hours here in the southeast, but not familiar with any of the quirks when it comes to forecasting in the NYC metro and we're flying in to LaGuardia early Thursday afternoon.  Does this look like a major travel headache (i.e. airport shutdowns/delays) or should we stick to our travel plans?  I realize that 4 - 8 inches may be a safe bet up there, but never been during a winter storm.

1 minute ago, audioguy3107 said:

Hey Fellas, sorry for the quick off model discussion post......I'm very well familiar with model watching and how the GFS/NAM/EURO plays out within 48 hours here in the southeast, but not familiar with any of the quirks when it comes to forecasting in the NYC metro and we're flying in to LaGuardia early Thursday afternoon.  Does this look like a major travel headache (i.e. airport shutdowns/delays) or should we stick to our travel plans?  I realize that 4 - 8 inches may be a safe bet up there, but never been during a winter storm.

I would reschedule. 

5 minutes ago, audioguy3107 said:

LaGuardia airport does not handle snow well at all, there will be many cancellations for sure.  I assume you are flying Delta based on your location?  I know they issue travel waivers, they may not do so til later today but you may be advised to try and get in on the first flight or two of the day if possible as conditions may not be that bad yet at that point or maybe take one that gets in 3-4 hours later in the evening when the event is over.  I think anything arriving between 9-2 right now is potentially risky for cancellation.

LGA also has short runways so diversions often happen to EWR or JFK during snow events when pilots deem braking action is not safe to land.  JFK may be an option for you too if your airline issues a travel waiver where you can change your arrival to JFK.  They handle snow much better than LGA does

7 minutes ago, audioguy3107 said:

Early afternoon the airport might still be ok but travel on the ground once you're here could be sluggish at best.

edit; I'd defer to the info in the post above mine ;) SG69 is a much better source of info than me :)

15 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

It's still adjusting to the northern models. Likely not done trending. 

I'm not worried about temps. Gfs is horrible with surface temp and every other model is getting colder. Once that northern stream energy dives in precipitation will explode 

2 minutes ago, Zelocita Weather said:

This storm has a beginning of wet snow (maybe even a little rain) gradually transitioning to a relatively high ratio snow written all over it. Maybe 8-10 ratios for first 30%-40% of storm, then 12 - 15:1 once in the cold deform. 

the Lindsay storm in 1969 started as wet snow and by nightfall the snow was powdery...

1 minute ago, UlsterCountySnowZ said:

Let's see... last 24+ hours the GFS has wobbled 6 times... between northern solution and southern hit solution

ggem is a joke and never even had a storm till 40 min ago

euro as been OTS or south until yesterday

ukie looks like it's coming in tucked to coast, and that was south

then there's the nam..... unwavered... again... how many times are we gonna ignore the nams consistency and note it's "biased" instead... and get burned badly.... I know there's a lot of seasoned posters that tossed the nams sleet storm QPF... it was spot on

The NAM has been ticking SE over the last few runs. It might be closer to right in the end but I'll still wager on it being overdone. 

2 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

The NAM has been ticking SE over the last few runs. It might be closer to right in the end but I'll still wager on it being overdone. 

I was making more of a case for intensity... yesterday everyone was saying the nams overdone, everything is caving to a bomb off the coast, not a 998mb fast slider that drops a quick 3-5" as advertised by GFS/euro just 24 hours ago

Archived