joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February Medium/Long Range Disco Thread 2

WxUSAF

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's becoming pretty clear to me that the ops have been struggling with what types of air masses we can even speculate about after the first system.  We torch while a low forms in the Southern Plains about a week from now.  Never good.

3 minutes ago, BTRWx said:

Hopefully the raging PNA can follow suit.

We lack the NAO , I guess because of that crazy Icelandic low , as mentioned by DT. and the Omega pattern in that region. 

Some crazy weather in Europe for sure because of that .  

23 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Canadian sucks but at least it's showing precip this run instead of nothing. 

The improvements over the last 10-20 years in the gfs and ecmwf have made most of the other guidance in the medium range obsolete. The U.K. Is a decent tool but no one has access to good output or ensembles for it. But the ggem and others are so far behind it just adds noise. Better off looking at the gfs euro and most importantly digging into the ensembles from both to get an idea. More after that is less imo. Then once in short range we get to freak out about the nam every 6 hours. Shame back in the day it was fun watching all the runs come in. They were all bad enough then to think the crap models had a shot once in a while. Now it happens so infrequently it's not even worth the lottery ticket. 

20 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

The improvements over the last 10-20 years in the gfs and ecmwf have made most of the other guidance in the medium range obsolete. The U.K. Is a decent tool but no one has access to good output or ensembles for it. But the ggem and others are so far behind it just adds noise. Better off looking at the gfs euro and most importantly digging into the ensembles from both to get an idea. More after that is less imo. Then once in short range we get to freak out about the nam every 6 hours. Shame back in the day it was fun watching all the runs come in. They were all bad enough then to think the crap models had a shot once in a while. Now it happens so infrequently it's not even worth the lottery ticket. 

In fairness to the GGEM. It was the first model with the big noreaster idea a couple of weeks ago. It can sometimes still be useful. Especially in temp profiles I think.

And I dont know if I should comment on the midweek thing since I was put in the ground for good earlier this week. But I am going to anyways. The vort pass being modeled is in a perfect position for us. Yeah. The surface temps are suspect. But I agree with the rest that the upper levels are good. We are going to need almost that EXACT track though. Or its game over IMO.

10 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

DC sounding @ hr90. Pretty shallow above freezing layer. A good bit below 925mb. Very close to an all snow sounding. Northerly winds are never bad when rooting for a colder trend. 

GFS_3_2017020512_F90_39.0000N_77.0000W.p

GFS_3_2017020500_F102_39.0000N_77.0000W.

Let's not cherry-pick! (added 0z run)

7 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

In fairness to the GGEM. It was the first model with the big noreaster idea a couple of weeks ago. It can sometimes still be useful. Especially in temp profiles I think.

And I dont know if I should comment on the midweek thing since I was put in the ground for good earlier this week. But I am going to anyways. The vort pass being modeled is in a perfect position for us. Yeah. The surface temps are suspect. But I agree with the rest that the upper levels are good. We are going to need almost that EXACT track though. Or its game over IMO.

I knew someone would bring up that storm. And your right it did do better in that instance. But the chance of such a track was within the clusters on the gefs and EPS so it's not like they totally missed it. And the ggem has been so flat out awful with so many other systems I think overall it will add confusion more often then not and isn't worth it for that once in a blue moon it's right. Don't get me wrong I'll look at it. But I don't weight it anymore then I would a single gefs ensemble member. 

1 minute ago, Wonderdog said:

Comparing the last three GFS runs, it appears that the 0z Run overnight had the best result for us with the low coming across North Carolina. Trend has deteriorated since then for us to receive snow. But, we all know that we haven't come up with the final solution yet.

I didn't even realize that!  Interesting. I chose to share the 0z sounding because of the run's similarities to 12z programming.  Is this still an applicable method?

Archived