Newest Member
    SnowHabit
February Medium/Long Range Disco Thread 2

WxUSAF

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, kurtstack said:

Not sure how many 6-10" events we have actually seen over the last three years but that three year period in general was anomolous. We had a very good run. My point was that the higher elevations really do distance themselves from the lowlands in terms of march snow averages. Elevation becomes much more important given the march climo. Could we score, sure it isnt out of the realm of possibilities ut i would feel much better if i was sitting above 1,000 feet of elevation for the projected pattern.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There might be something to this. But the reality is that this can be said for all of the winter months. Areas with elevation generally have better odds of seeing snow. I have seen March storms where it snows on the coastal plain and its rain or a rain/snow mix inland at higher elevations because the precip is lighter. As we move towards spring, rates/dynamical cooling come more into play with marginal air-masses.

30 minutes ago, mitchnick said:

Transient. ....sorry, but thanks for playing.  :(

A long term trough in Japan would likely place a ridge behind it which helps push cold onto our side of the hemisphere but we know it's way too late for all that nonsense. We're looking for a one hit wonder fluke at this point. 

5 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

A long term trough in Japan would likely place a ridge behind it which helps push cold onto our side of the hemisphere but we know it's way too late for all that nonsense. We're looking for a one hit wonder fluke at this point. 

I thought we were just bustin' chops! I don't even have the 15 day euro ensembles.  Lol

Just now, Ji said:

Is the pattern workable at least? Or only in tokyo?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

If you just look at h5 d10-15 you would think it is indeed half decent. But when you dig deeper there is nothing promising. Earlier this winter I would have thought its just a disconnect and things look ok. But now I think it's just more of the same ole same ole livin in a snow hole. 

11 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

If you just look at h5 d10-15 you would think it is indeed half decent. But when you dig deeper there is nothing promising. Earlier this winter I would have thought its just a disconnect and things look ok. But now I think it's just more of the same ole same ole livin in a snow hole. 

Yea that disconnect has been there all winter. The h5 for some decent stretches wasn't as bad as the ground truth. Oh well. I can see a way we get a major dump of cold into the conus in march given the way the pattern seems to be evolving Day 10-15. It could just as easily end up aimed west if us though. But I certainly wouldn't be shocked if we get some too little too late event in march. 

Up here I've had accumulating snow the last 4 years in march. 

1 hour ago, psuhoffman said:

If that epo ridge goes nuts like some recent runs of the EPS and gefs it's not going to stay warm. We might as well root for something. 

Even with the gfs jumping it does look like some late feb/early Mar cold is on tap. Maybe after all the fails this year something accidentally takes advantage. We'll know more in a week but it does seem possible to have a cold first week or 2 of march. 

Would be kinda fitting to finally have something break right after 3 torcherous months. 

51 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Even with the gfs jumping it does look like some late feb/early Mar cold is on tap. Maybe after all the fails this year something accidentally takes advantage. We'll know more in a week but it does seem possible to have a cold first week or 2 of march. 

Would be kinda fitting to finally have something break right after 3 torcherous months. 

a little leveling off from normal temps.  then back to minimum above avg. temps. :).   nothing to see here, move along.  

4 hours ago, yoda said:

00z GGEM trying a lil something something Day 10?  1038 H in Quebec and 1004mb SLP in NE GA

00z EURO at 240 has ridging building just west of Alaska (+PNA?) with no large GOA low and what I believe is to be an eastern trough developing

Largely, it looks like more SLPs going to Detroit and  Montreal.   Maybe December 5??

Archived