Newest Member
    SnowHabit
February Medium/Long Range Disco Thread 2

WxUSAF

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, stormtracker said:

I'm with you on this one. Any slight hope I had yesterday is gone.  

The writing was on the wall for me a couple of days ago. Have been ghosting the forums and not posting because I didn't want to harsh the mood. Oh well, there's always the window around day 11-13 that we can look forward to. :blink: 

1 hour ago, losetoa6 said:

You mean this bomb....it should stir the atmosphere up some for sure. Definitely good points Scraff.

GZ_D5_PN_048_0000.gif

Could something like that truly have a chance of changing the setup for next week? (Has that happened before, where the models show one thing LR, something like that happens and then it looks different?

2 minutes ago, Maestrobjwa said:

Well folks: We registered three consecutive winters of above average snowfall (despite it all coming at once last year). We shoulda expected we were gonna have to pay for it eventually, lol So I take it not even a phantom day 10-15 to chase?

Nada. Something unexpected could pop up in the short range, but the best shot of that would be this week, and there are no signs of that. Beyond that, embrace the warm ridge. Later in the period, days 11-15, the ensembles are steadily moving away from the big epo ridge/eastern trough idea. Trending more towards a less than ideal AK ridge placement, and a western trough. GEFS isn't awful..yet. But clearly moving towards the EPS.

3 minutes ago, C.A.P.E. said:

Nada. Something unexpected could pop up in the short range, but the best shot of that would be this week, and there are no signs of that. Beyond that, embrace the warm ridge. Later in the period, days 11-15, the ensembles are steadily moving away from the big epo ridge/eastern trough idea. Trending more towards a less than ideal AK ridge placement, and a western trough. GEFS isn't awful..yet. But clearly moving towards the EPS.

So basically the same crap setup we've had most of the winter? Smh....So essentially, the threat for next week we were watching was derailed by that stupid Low up north? Wow...

17 minutes ago, C.A.P.E. said:

Yeah it sorta feels like this week is our last shot, but I guess we did have some good events in late feb and march in 2015. 

47 minutes ago, DCTeacherman said:

Yeah it sorta feels like this week is our last shot, but I guess we did have some good events in late feb and march in 2015. 

The ensembles have not exactly been stellar beyond day 10. But when they trend away from what was a good look, towards essentially more of the same old crap, its more believable. Still a chance at a fluke event the end of the month or early March. This week is going to suck though. New England gets pummeled with 2 heavy snow events, and we get a little rain and possibly 2 high wind warnings.

Fwiw the 18z GEFS still holds "some" promise days 10-15. There is a transient trough in the east with some EPO ridging(muted from previous runs), before the heights begin to build in the GOA and the western trough re-emerges. Looking at the members, there are a decent number that have storminess during this window, and some look to be snow or mixed events. The snowfall mean modestly increases during this period.

2 minutes ago, C.A.P.E. said:

Fwiw the 18z GEFS still holds "some" promise days 10-15. There is a transient trough in the east with some EPO ridging(muted from previous runs), before the heights begin to build in the GOA and the western trough re-emerges. Looking at the members, there are a decent number that have storminess during this window, and some look to be snow or mixed events. The snowfall mean modestly increases during this period.

All year I have found the GEPS to be way more subdued with the threats and it has certainly been proven better than GEFS from what I've seen. Here's the GEPS at day 10. Advance it forward through the end and you can see how relatively bleak it is.

http://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/models/?model=gem-ens&region=namer&pkg=T850a&runtime=2017021112&fh=264

13 minutes ago, mitchnick said:

All year I have found the GEPS to be way more subdued with the threats and it has certainly been proven better than GEFS from what I've seen. Here's the GEPS at day 10. Advance it forward through the end and you can see how relatively bleak it is.

http://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/models/?model=gem-ens&region=namer&pkg=T850a&runtime=2017021112&fh=264

Yup, much more like the EPS. As I said in an earlier post, its pretty clear where this is headed. GEFS has always looked better for the Feb 22- 26th period. As of now its still decent, but not nearly as good as it looked at say 0z Thursday for that period. I am not very optimistic, just stating what I see.

27 minutes ago, mitchnick said:

The 18z Gefs is marginally better and several hits did show up. But the majority still show nothing and I'd be skeptical too. Need to see way more support before getting excited. 

That said the geps have been verifying pretty bad.  They totally missed the pattern this week. Just because it didn't snow or won't snow doesn't mean the pattern didn't change.  We did get cold and periods with some threat windows mid December, early January, and recently. They haven't worked out but the geps has been missing the h5 pattern flips badly all winter.  

Your probably right the long range doesn't look great but I've started ignoring the geps it's been so hopelessly bad this winter honestly.   Also why link the temps and not h5?  Can't tell as much about the overall pattern just from the temp Anom. Sometimes a storm signal can be hiding within a not great looking temp profile.  Especially with timing differences at those ranges washing out details.  It's not in this case but often is.

9 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

The 18z Gefs is marginally better and several hits did show up. But the majority still show nothing and I'd be skeptical too. Need to see way more support before getting excited. 

That said the geps have been verifying pretty bad.  They totally missed the pattern this week. Just because it didn't snow or won't snow doesn't mean the pattern didn't change.  We did get cold and periods with some threat windows mid December, early January, and recently. They haven't worked out but the geps has been missing the h5 pattern flips badly all winter.  

Your probably right the long range doesn't look great but I've started ignoring the geps it's been so hopelessly bad this winter honestly.   Also why link the temps and not h5?  Can't tell as much about the overall pattern just from the temp Anom. Sometimes a storm signal can be hiding within a not great looking temp profile.  Especially with timing differences at those ranges washing out details.  It's not in this case but often is.

Well, they've been generally correct with our snow chances, and that's really all I'm interested in. Like I said earlier today,  we've lacked consensus (and what I mean is reasonable consensus) among the models for snow. And that's what I like to see usually before getting excited. But,  we're not NE and 3 years in a row of AN snowfall at the 3 airports is the best we've ever done, so on to next year barring a miracle this week or a fluke in the long run.

Archived