Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
February Medium/Long Range Disco Thread 2

WxUSAF

1 hour ago, midatlanticweather said:

A lot of the above statements are not based on any scientific reason! If, however, you tacked it back to something that would dominate the pattern, then I would agree. This year, to me, the killer was the PV in Alaska. It killed the Pacific and set up (warm water blob) the whole winter for fail. We had a few breakdowns of the Pacific dominance, but they were brief. Blocking has been transient when it happened and models really misled us with their ideas of anything in the longer term. Faster flow, little blocking and it all has to be perfect, thread the needle, circumstantial luck. We have not been lucky this year!

^That gets my vote for post of the morning.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

As of this date it's the worst since 1973 which was right with 1951 I think as our worst winters coming in with around 3". If we get a few more inches we can pass 2002 which had more as of this date but had no more snow the rest of the way. But those 3 are by far this areas worst 3 in 122 years of records I put together.   None others come close. Their the only 3 to finish below 10" and I don't think any others were even close. Most of our other "bad years" come in around 18-25". Even 2012 we scraped to 19". 2013 we managed to get to 30. Getting below 18" here is a very rare 1/20 year winter. 

Where do you get all that data? I checked the info for the Millers, MD station, but that only goes back to the late 80s.

28 minutes ago, Fozz said:

Where do you get all that data? I checked the info for the Millers, MD station, but that only goes back to the late 80s.

I cobbled it together using different local coop data from different locations across the area. Some years I had to use northern Westminster coop. There was a coop on backmans valley that has data off and on. A few years I used the south Hanover coop that's about 5 miles north of me. It took forever and I did the best I could.  It's not official of course and if anything it might skew my numbers low since Manchester is a local max so using Westminster and Hanover some of those years might be a little low but it gives a general idea. 

2 minutes ago, kurtstack said:

back to the long range again - but gefs hints at a potential pattern reload which could provide one last shot toward the end of feb beginning of march.  Perhaps its just my inner weenie but I still think we get a moderate 3"+ storm before the door closes for good.

I would think a pattern reload would be the worst thing we could get.

Which pattern brought us snow?  Exactly.

2 minutes ago, losetoa6 said:

Pretty big difference at 500 (96 hr.) between Ukie and gfs. Ukie looks to leave the door open for us for a small chance to score in this period.

GZ_D5_PN_096_0000.gif

GZ_D5_PN_096_0000.gif

wow thats pretty nice you can really see the trof digging down behind that southern low and further west while the gfs doesnt dig that trof at all

28 minutes ago, kurtstack said:

back to the long range again - but gefs hints at a potential pattern reload which could provide one last shot toward the end of feb beginning of march.  Perhaps its just my inner weenie but I still think we get a moderate 3"+ storm before the door closes for good.

Gefs is definitely workable long range. I'm just getting weary of the chase. I see nothing overly hostile about it. We could still score a hit in that look.  The North Pacific seems to want to help us out a bit. We've done well that way lately. We will see. 

Just now, psuhoffman said:

Gefs is definitely workable long range. I'm just getting weary of the chase. I see nothing overly hostile about it. We could still score a hit in that look.  The North Pacific seems to want to help us out a bit. We've done well that way lately. We will see. 

Actually like the look around day 11-13. But we have been there, done that so often this year I don't think i have the energy to care anymore.

18 minutes ago, losetoa6 said:

Pretty big difference at 500 (96 hr.) between Ukie and gfs. Ukie looks to leave the door open for us for a small chance to score in this period.

I was about to post about that only to find that you beat me to it.  Posters on this forum don't miss much.

At 120, the GFS has two lows, one off the coast of Maine and the other off the SE coast.  The Ukie only has one low off the coast of Maine, and it's much deeper than the one on the GFS.  I wonder how it got there.

http://meteocentre.com/numerical-weather-prediction/map-explorer.php?mod=gfs&run=12&stn=PNM&hh=120&map=na&stn2=PNM&run2=12&mod2=ukmet&hh2=120&comp=2&fixhh=1&lang=en&yyyy=latest&mm=latest&dd=latest&mode=latest&stn2_type=prog&date_type=dateo

The GGEM looks like something between the Ukie and the GFS.

Just now, showmethesnow said:

Drops the PV lobe a little farther south this run. Runs it through central PA instead of on the PA/NY line. Probably to much to ask but would love to see that somehow find a way underneath us. 

Yeah I noticed that too, but overall its not much different from the previous run. Still lots of work to do for our area.

Just now, C.A.P.E. said:

Yeah I noticed that too, but overall its not much different from the previous run. Still lots of work to do for our area.

Short of that running underneath of us I think this is pretty much dead in the water. Don't see any other solutions at this point that would work short of the 500's being off.

Archived