Newest Member
    Dano62
February Medium/Long Range Disco Thread 2

WxUSAF

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, mappy said:

got any specifics up my way? i look to be cold enough the whole time, maybe a tad above 32 at onset. 

Not too much of a difference with regard to the temperatures like we see for NW of DC. The lat/lon I was using was for Damascus and I used Parkton's for you. Only difference I see is the intensity of the precip for hour 72 which is a bit more robust up your way given the depth of the moisture layer. Decent banding from Motco up to your neck of the woods so it makes sense. I hope its right lol

2 minutes ago, MAG5035 said:

If you have Accuweather Pro you can also look at cross sections too with the Euro and most of the other models. I did a cross section on a line from the PA/MD border down into a bit of northern VA along I-95 putting DC roughly in the middle. Hour 66 (prior to most precip arriving in the region) obviously a bit too warm under 900mb for about 2/3s of that cross section, but within + or - 1 degree of 0 between 800-900mb on about all of the cross section. Hour 72 def looked good all around. Certainly would be a quick hitter.. pretty much all between 66 and 72hours. Temps below 925mb are going to be the initial issue. Heavy precip should get things changed over in relatively short order if Euro has it's way with the 0.5-0.75" frame centered over DC and surrounding areas at hour 72. 

Good catch!! I was just trying to review the soundings and make comments, but that's a pretty good tool to use too. I'm at work and got a bunch of other stuff going on, so I'm just looking for quick and dirty analysis. Here's to hoping something finally goes right down here. 

6 minutes ago, MillvilleWx said:

Not too much of a difference with regard to the temperatures like we see for NW of DC. The lat/lon I was using was for Damascus and I used Parkton's for you. Only difference I see is the intensity of the precip for hour 72 which is a bit more robust up your way given the depth of the moisture layer. Decent banding from Motco up to your neck of the woods so it makes sense. I hope its right lol

thank you, as always! 

Did anyone notice on that Windytv Euro model that to the right of the "New Snow" you can click on the Forecast for the location and then surface temps and other info shows up. It comes up first in Celsius, but you can change it to F by clicking on the "temp" on the bottom left.  That's a great site for free. You can easily drag the location to your back yard too.

https://www.windytv.com/overlays?950h,snowAccu,next10d,39.244,-76.593,11

1 minute ago, mitchnick said:

Did anyone notice on that Windytv Euro model that to the right of the "New Snow" you can click on the Forecast for the location and then surface temps and other info shows up. It comes up first in Celsius, but you can change it to F by clicking on the "temp" on the bottom left.  That's a great site for free. You can easily drag the location to your back yard too.

https://www.windytv.com/overlays?950h,snowAccu,next10d,39.244,-76.593,11

Wow, that site is really pretty fantastic. Thanks.

18 minutes ago, Eskimo Joe said:

Seems like there's 2 scenarios emerging:

1 - Cold air rushes in and the low tracks near the mouth of the Chesapeake.  Everyone gets a 4" - 6" event.

2 - Cold air lags, the front stalls along I-70 (ish) and we're a cold rain.  

One of these is favored climatologically.

Archived