• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February Medium/Long Range Disco Thread 2

WxUSAF

Euro at 72 is pretty tough to beat a lot of times. But the precip max is still pretty narrow and temps raise a flag. 

I will definitely favor it over the GFS because the trend in heights between 48-66 is where you could easily see it wasn't going to be a warm rainer. Euro is probably handling the departing system the best. Other than everything, I'm not sure what can really go wrong here. 

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, NorthArlington101 said:

850s check out the whole way... I think it would all be snow, just not all sticking. That may be what you meant anyways. 

Yes, hour 72 is all snow. However, what I showed was a 6 hour QPF total. So, unless you have data showing you the drop in temps from 42 (at hr 66) to 32 (at hr 72), you have no idea when that changeover would occur. 

Just now, mappy said:

Yes, hour 72 is all snow. However, what I showed was a 6 hour QPF total. So, unless you have data showing you the drop in temps from 42 (at hr 66) to 32 (at hr 72), you have no idea when that changeover would occur. 

All I was noting is every layer but the surface that I can find from h66-h72 is below 0, other then the surface and the 925T layer, which is right above 0 at 66. There could be a warm layer somewhere else important, but I can't figure out why all of it wouldn't be snow, albeit white rain.

6 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Euro at 72 is pretty tough to beat a lot of times. But the precip max is still pretty narrow and temps raise a flag. 

I will definitely favor it over the GFS because the trend in heights between 48-66 is where you could easily see it wasn't going to be a warm rainer. Euro is probably handling the departing system the best. Other than everything, I'm not sure what can really go wrong here. 

Pretty hard to beat the UK/Euro and don't forget about the ICON model.  Plastering for DC to your crib.  GFS is so much faster then these models.  It did fairly well for the Jan event that busted on us in January.

P1_GZ_D5_PN_072_0000.gif

1 minute ago, midatlanticweather said:

Fringed out here! But it should rain a little less and be more snow and that is good! A little wiggle room for N and W jog too! You know it is MBY that I care about! We all need snow though so let's hope for some improvement and Happy Hour GFS!

.5" of precip is still a pretty good fringe job!

Great run all around.

2 minutes ago, NorthArlington101 said:

All I was noting is every layer but the surface that I can find from h66-h72 is below 0, other then the surface and the 925T layer, which is right above 0 at 66. There could be a warm layer somewhere else important, but I can't figure out why all of it wouldn't be snow, albeit white rain.

And I'm asking -- are you able to get soundings for the hours between 66 and 72? Because hr 66 = rain, hr 72 = snow

I have no idea what happens between those 6 hours other than .6 precip falls in the DC area.

5 minutes ago, mappy said:

And I'm asking -- are you able to get soundings for the hours between 66 and 72? Because hr 66 = rain, hr 72 = snow

I have no idea what happens between those 6 hours other than .6 precip falls in the DC area.

Based on previous experience with these I'll make no assumptions about precip type.  The great rates sometimes have a hard time materializing and the cold sometimes has a tough time against springtime like temps.  If this happens as modeled I think DC has a good chance for 1-3 but I have a hard time seeing the 4-5 the Euro is showing.   

9 minutes ago, packbacker said:

Pretty hard to beat the UK/Euro and don't forget about the ICON model.  Plastering for DC to your crib.  GFS is so much faster then these models.  It did fairly well for the Jan event that busted on us in January.

P1_GZ_D5_PN_072_0000.gif

With the slp right off ORF at 72 hrs. and decent precip extending down to CHO, I would "think" that more precip would fall after 72 hrs. too.

4 minutes ago, DCTeacherman said:

Based on previous experience with these I'll make no assumptions about precip type.  The great rates sometimes have a hard time materializing and the cold sometimes has a tough time against springtime like temps.  If this happens as modeled I think DC has a good chance for 1-3 but I have a hard time seeing the 4-5 the Euro is showing.   

I agree with you. 

19 minutes ago, mappy said:

DC is 34 degrees at 69 hours (9z) and about 0.30" falls after that, so could be a nice thump if rates are heavy...

Archived