Newest Member
    joxey
February Medium/Long Range Disco Thread 2

WxUSAF

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, showmethesnow said:

It's not the track that is killing us though. We want to see the 500's like this or maybe even a little deeper. 

The heights in front ticked higher. That's the part of the 500's that we don't want to see. I suppose if the vort can dig further then that would offset things but no guarantee even if it does. 

6 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

That and the departing low is just a little faster this run. Bad combo. Euro will save us. Or NYC. One or the other. 

Yeah, the timing on that thing is very key to the gfs forecast.  Slower and deeper with it once it's east of us would mean the cold being driven further south.

This is a razor thin setup for us.  Well, unless we can get that low to start out 150 miles further south.

1 minute ago, Bob Chill said:

The heights in front ticked higher. That's the part of the 500's that we don't want to see. I suppose if the vort can dig further then that would offset things but no guarantee even if it does. 

Pretty much what I am looking for is a deeper pass with the vort max. Think that would solve many of the problems we are now facing for the DC/Balt crew in regards to temps by addressing low track, timing and rates to overcome the surface with a stronger low. 

3 minutes ago, BTRWx said:

Buckle up!

teleconnections Feb 6_2017.jpg

That's not a "buckle up" scenario imo.

pna moving to neutral and epo about the same. The one positive would be the nao domain being negative and I guess the ao might still be in negative territory in the next 10 day window.

But by no means is this a "buckle up" period yet. Maybe it will happen, but what you showed is not convincing in the slightest.

3 minutes ago, PivotPoint said:

pna moving to neutral and epo about the same. The one positive would be the nao domain being negative and I guess the ao might still be in negative territory in the next 10 day window.

But by no means is this a "buckle up" period yet. Maybe it will happen, but what you showed is not convincing in the slightest.

I tend to ignore numerical indices. They can be misleading depending on the hemispheric LW pattern. The corresponding pattern to those indices don't look good but are moving in the right direction for later on it seems. The only thing we're fighting late in the GEFS panels is the trough off the west coast moving inland and ridging in the east in front of the progression. I would guess (just like what PSU is describing) that a trough sets up in the east late month with fairly decent high latitudes. 

gfs-ens_z500aMean_nhem_12.png

7 minutes ago, PivotPoint said:

Give it a couple more days. :)

5 minutes ago, PivotPoint said:

Uhh...ok.  I'll take that look in a heartbeat compared to what weve been dealing with.  Translated is a nice ridge out west w/ a trough in the east with less potential for storms to cut.

Im in....

Nut

13 minutes ago, BTRWx said:

Buckle up long rangers!

teleconnections Feb 6_2017.jpg

This 4-panel graphic is the worst. It often is at complete odds with what the CPC graphs show for the same time frame. It's only usefulness is the fact that it shows the EPO outlook, which CPC does not. Even then, it often fluctuates all over the place from day-to-day. Little to (at times) no consistency whatsoever. 

1 minute ago, snowsux said:

This 4-panel graphic is the worst. It often is at complete odds with what the CPC graphs show for the same time frame. It's only usefulness is the fact that it shows the EPO outlook, which CPC does not. Even then, it often fluctuates all over the place from day-to-day. Little to (at times) no consistency whatsoever. 

It's good for verification purposes imo.  ESRL seems to be more involved with the researchers fwiw.

4 minutes ago, snowsux said:

Here's the rest of it.  More work is certainly needed, but we're looking good compared to last week!

ao.sprd2 Feb 6_2017.jpg

nao.sprd2 Feb 6_2017.jpg

8 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

I tend to ignore numerical indices. They can be misleading depending on the hemispheric LW pattern. The corresponding pattern to those indices don't look good but are moving in the right direction for later on it seems. The only thing we're fighting late in the GEFS panels is the trough off the west coast moving inland and ridging in the east in front of the progression. I would guess (just like what PSU is describing) that a trough sets up in the east late month with fairly decent high latitudes. 

gfs-ens_z500aMean_nhem_12.png

8 minutes ago, pasnownut said:

Uhh...ok.  I'll take that look in a heartbeat compared to what weve been dealing with.  Translated is a nice ridge out west w/ a trough in the east with less potential for storms to cut.

Im in....

Nut

Bob- your graphic (from what I see) shows some promise nao space albeit a little concerning there are no negative anomalies in all of Canada. Doesn't that bother you?

Nut- I see your point... And yes the "proposed" look is a better chance setup. I was simply saying that it doesn't look like buckle up to me... I've seen teleconnections that have lined up (ala 2009-10). Just saying I believe that there may be a slightly better chance we get something, but given persistence, probably not.

Archived