• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Feb 7th Mixed Bag North of the Pike

HoarfrostHubb

in any event... in terms of countermanding... I don't see any reason why the Euro has to be more right than say the GFS (operational runs) -

If we want to base a decision on past performance/skill I suppose I wouldn't take much exception to that course (it may be the least regretful one..).  But in terms of applied atmospheric knowledge and experience, the Euro could be wrong and it is in fact the GFS/NAM (sort of) blend with the resistant CAD that makes more Meteorological sense with this.

fascinating.

• Replies 504
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Yeah I would actually be skeptical of any attempt to erode CAD quickly. Though the euro still is pretty cold before that at the surface. I think it just nukes the primary a bit more this run and more than other 12z guidance. 

Agree, even this run is still mostly sub-freezing through most of the precip across N MA into CNE/NNE

Just now, moneypitmike said:

LOL.  How much of this do you think may fall as snow in the Bath area?

I see 1-3" for Tuesday on the P/C so I guess it's when any mix begins Tuesday night that will tell the tale from there.

With that lead wave, there could be a decent amount of snow along the mid level warm front before a flip.

The models are definitely favoring the 00-06z window for the warm nose aloft arriving. So I could see 2-4" easy before the changeover. 

18z NAM is actually pretty impressive for snow on the front end north of the pike. I'd feel better if the euro could cool just a shade aloft the next couple cycles but something to watch. You can get a heavy band for 2-3 hours in that type of setup. 

2 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

The potential cold tuck is sort of intriguing.  That airmass is darn cold in SW ME and into adjacent SE NH. That could easily ooze into NE MA and near BOS as the mesolow forms.

Agreed. I actually think the NAM may be more instructive than usual in this case, because I'm seeing the potential for a series of meso lows along the baroclinic zone out ahead of the main wave, which should act to dampen and disrupt the primary low. 

7 minutes ago, jbenedet said:

18z rgem is very cold. Has highest snowfall in central MA to the coast through 48 with more to come after...

Yeah. Still out of its good range though. But if it verified that is warning criteria snowfall pike northward. 

Archived