SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Countdown to Winter 2017-2018 Thread

eyewall

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The teleconnections haven't changed much since yesterday, they all show a rather negative PNA/Positive AO and Positive NAO present currently until the end of the month of October, GFS shows a pattern changing storm entering our region sometime in the next 12 days followed by an ocean low that could bring rain to me and snow inland towards day 16.  

28 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

We kind of had one in 2014...day before Thanksgiving. A lot of sleet in that one in our area.

yup i remember that well, actually flipped to rain / pl mix IIRC in metro-west that evening. Underachieved imby I think with an earlier flip to sleet.  

at the time was working doing snow removal for some extra cash while in grad school. Was a nightmare once it cooled off below freezing and everything froze up after 

Anyone believing what the CFS is showing in terms of the scale of the oncoming La Nina? It seems to be an outlier on the strong side. Regardless, it's in line with the earlier posted Euro seasonal model in terms of the location of its precip anomalies. Looks decently wet in New England.

2 hours ago, USCAPEWEATHERAF said:

The teleconnections haven't changed much since yesterday, they all show a rather negative PNA/Positive AO and Positive NAO present currently until the end of the month of October, GFS shows a pattern changing storm entering our region sometime in the next 12 days followed by an ocean low that could bring rain to me and snow inland towards day 16.  

So 12 days from today is October 21 but you are saying teleconnections show no pattern change til end of month?  Something is off with the match.

2 hours ago, mahk_webstah said:

James what teleconnections are you referring to that would bring snow in early November?

To all - is there anything to the notion that all of these tropical systems passing to our northeast are making north atlantic ridging more likely going forward?

Its brought a lot of swamp with it but from what I’ve read...there isn’t much coorleation between n atl hurricanes and subsequent ridging for the following winter. 

5 hours ago, Damage In Tolland said:

It wasn’t good in SNE. It was congrats Pike north and really NH border north 

25 inches of snow in Dec, white Christmas, snow on the ground from Dec 2 to mid Feb, a week of snowless then snow until first week of March, 56 inches, I would hit that again in a heartbeat. A half degree here or there and it would have been a 70 inch winter easy. 

6 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

25 inches of snow in Dec, white Christmas, snow on the ground from Dec 2 to mid Feb, a week of snowless then snow until first week of March, 56 inches, I would hit that again in a heartbeat. A half degree here or there and it would have been a 70 inch winter easy. 

I don’t disagree with that as a general analog year.. but I think it’s displaced another 50 -75 miles north of where it was that year

I don’t recall that being a good winter for CT at all. Your description sounds great and I don’t recall it like that

2 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

I don’t disagree with that as a general analog year.. but I think it’s displaced another 50 -75 miles north of where it was that year

I don’t recall that being a good winter for CT at all. Your description sounds great and I don’t recall it like that

December was awesome,  Jan ok Feb sucked cept for a one week period 

53 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

You are thinking strong la nina?

2 hours ago, Ginx snewx said:

73" here that year.

24 minutes ago, weathafella said:

We're moving into mid October.  This Nina looks tepid so far.  Given the roughly 3 month lag to effect sensible wx, it would seem strong and maybe even moderate could be pretty unlikely in their effects for the upcoming winter.

anomnight.10.9.2017.gif

Yea. I'm at a loss for why any seasonal gradient would set up north of 2007.

27 minutes ago, mahk_webstah said:

Euro seasonals would imply a quick flip to winter.  Not sure I buy that, but it is probably the bias the comes with a fall that is extremely warm, where I was spending a hot day on the beach less than 2 weeks ago.

The Euro weeklies torch us right into November. So it would certainly be quite the switch. Some impressive troughing in the west on the latest run of the EPS. 

The Pacific pattern will slowly change as the forcing moves east. So I would't be shocked if early November is a little cooler than what is shown. That massive black hole in AK will move out.

Tons of cold water in the subsurface, so Nina is full on in terms of SSTs.

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/analysis_monitoring/enso_update/wkxzteq.shtml

1 hour ago, Damage In Tolland said:

I don’t see that moving out for any long duration 

It could happen.  2011-12 was a middling Nina.  But the odds are against it with all the other atmosphere dynamics.   If we get into November-say the 10th-and there's no end in sight to the AK hole-be afraid.

2 hours ago, LoveSN+ said:

The Euro weeklies torch us right into November. So it would certainly be quite the switch. Some impressive troughing in the west on the latest run of the EPS. 

2007 had a fast flip here about the 2nd week of November. It had been a massive torch that fall until then.

10 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

07-08 I thought featured a pretty meh season here.

Im not overly optimistic for the pike region south this winter. Lots of slop

You guys had a bad one that year.  MBY just 40 miles north of you was good.  It was a tight gradient.

Archived