Newest Member
    joxey
Countdown to Winter 2017-2018 Thread

eyewall

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

MA Pike....I-90 across Massachusetts. Goes from BOS to ALB (and then continues across NY State)

3 minutes ago, weathafella said:

I90 is the Pike running mainly west to east.

Thanks! Not used to seeing interstates by a nickname. 

I'll add the the pike region in the past has frequently been a dividing line in overrunning events. Esp during that 2007-2008 season, but it's happened in some other events too since then...the terrain over western and central MA and the high pressure orientation (frequently N of Maine funneling the arctic air down the coast into E MA) in these events make the pike region kind of the battle ground for the cold air vs the WAA to the southwest, and you'll see the sleet/snow line begin to meet a lot of resistance in that zone.

41 minutes ago, WxBlue said:

Thanks! Not used to seeing interstates by a nickname. 

And when they are, be prepared to pay - NY Thruway, Mass Pike, Jersey Turnpike, Maine Turnpike, etc. - at least in the Northeast.

07-08 tailed off a lot in Feb and Mar here, but Dec-Jan were fun. Nothing like spending 8.5 hrs in your car on 12/13/07.

Farther north (MBY) Feb was the most active month, with 8 storms 3-9", including 4 in 6 days 5th-10th, worth 22.7", month total of 46.5".  March I'll agree, as the one big event (3/1)  kind of fizzled here, but we still finished with slightly AN snowfall and temps -2.8 to hold the pack reasonably well, with 34" OG on April 1.  It just didn't compare well with the 120" in DJF.

3 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

07-08 tailed off a lot in Feb and Mar here, but Dec-Jan were fun. Nothing like spending 8.5 hrs in your car on 12/13/07.

January's torch sucked...wiped out over 20" of high water content pack here...but we quickly regained it back in the good 1/14/08 event. 

That winter was so active which made it fun. Always something to track it seemed like. 

Im wondering if this year has more ridging out west...still a lot of warm water in the PDO region. Obviously that can get wiped out quickly but it could help a little bit. The Niña won't be as strong as 07-08 either. 

59 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

I'll add the the pike region in the past has frequently been a dividing line in overrunning events. Esp during that 2007-2008 season, but it's happened in some other events too since then...the terrain over western and central MA and the high pressure orientation (frequently N of Maine funneling the arctic air down the coast into E MA) in these events make the pike region kind of the battle ground for the cold air vs the WAA to the southwest, and you'll see the sleet/snow line begin to meet a lot of resistance in that zone.

Sounds like I-85 from Atlanta to Richmond. Great information as usual! Definitely something to watch out for this winter with a possible La Nina-like gradient that could set up this year.

20 minutes ago, tamarack said:

And when they are, be prepared to pay - NY Thruway, Mass Pike, Jersey Turnpike, Maine Turnpike, etc. - at least in the Northeast.

I had to get creative driving between NC and NH to get around big cities and to avoid toll fees. Made a mistake using I-87 in NY once while experimenting. Never again.

59 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

January's torch sucked...wiped out over 20" of high water content pack here...but we quickly regained it back in the good 1/14/08 event. 

That winter was so active which made it fun. Always something to track it seemed like. 

Im wondering if this year has more ridging out west...still a lot of warm water in the PDO region. Obviously that can get wiped out quickly but it could help a little bit. The Niña won't be as strong as 07-08 either. 

Yum

3 hours ago, ORH_wxman said:

Yes. 

This is why the gradient should be south of that year...not north. Nevermind any blocking...

1 hour ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Seems like everyone thinks an avg to above season is in the cards. 

Well we have a couple things going for us....no very strong ENSO....having a strong ENSO event typically eliminates huge seasons for us. (except parts of far NNE/mountains who can sometimes still pull a blockbuster)

Second, I think the -QBO and the more east based nature of the ENSO event as well as the pretty muted PDO signal could help with a bit more ridging in the west...more akin to 2000-2001 than a 2007-2008 style pattern.

Obviously we could still completely lay a turd this winter...that's the beauty of the weather....we don't actually know whats going to happen. We can just make educated guesses.

1 hour ago, ORH_wxman said:

Well we have a couple things going for us....no very strong ENSO....having a strong ENSO event typically eliminates huge seasons for us. (except parts of far NNE/mountains who can sometimes still pull a blockbuster)

Second, I think the -QBO and the more east based nature of the ENSO event as well as the pretty muted PDO signal could help with a bit more ridging in the west...more akin to 2000-2001 than a 2007-2008 style pattern.

Obviously we could still completely lay a turd this winter...that's the beauty of the weather....we don't actually know whats going to happen. We can just make educated guesses.

I would agree as well. But as you said...purely a guess really. I guess the moral of the story is that I don't see a glaring reason to cancel winter...but weather can always be humbling.

I know nothing about 00-01 or 07-08 but in terms of the total snowfall they both look like good seasons. The former with about 15 in above average, and the latter about average. It'll be interesting to see how much the polar vortex is disturbed this winter with the easterly QBO. Something to watch closely.

31 minutes ago, LoveSN+ said:

I know nothing about 00-01 or 07-08 but in terms of the total snowfall they both look like good seasons. The former with about 15 in above average, and the latter about average. It'll be interesting to see how much the polar vortex is disturbed this winter with the easterly QBO. Something to watch closely.

07-08 was huge in Dover NH. Not sure if you're looking at a local coop that gave you the impression of "average", but be very careful..some of them are unusable for snowfall. 

27 minutes ago, LoveSN+ said:

2000-01 was a fun winter in Albany... I really liked the 12/30 event which gave 12.6"...right in the holiday week and we had some solid snows in February and then the bigger event March 5-6.  That winter was active and festive in the snow department.

Archived