Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Countdown to Winter 2017-2018 Thread

eyewall

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 hours ago, ORH_wxman said:

Rarer than I thought actually...hard to find big winters in NNE while SNE had a total ratter.

https://www.americanwx.com/bb/topic/49653-countdown-to-winter-2017-2018-thread/?do=findComment&comment=4638692

Yeah that makes sense because of the proximity.  I'd assume there are more years where north of NNE (Canada) had a great winter while SNE struggled.  

16 hours ago, tamarack said:

I think 1972-73 was headed in that direction, but it died in NNE after a very snowy Dec, while remaining awful farther south.

Yeah esp for the coast of SNE...December 1972 was fine in interior SNE though. ORH had 6.1" in Nov 1972 and 13.8" in Dec 1972...Jan '73 actually had 17.9" so they were slightly above average on the season heading into February during an El Nino which is usually a great spot to be...but it completely fell flat on its face in Feb/Mar

13 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Yeah esp for the coast of SNE...December 1972 was fine in interior SNE though. ORH had 6.1" in Nov 1972 and 13.8" in Dec 1972...Jan '73 actually had 17.9" so they were slightly above average on the season heading into February during an El Nino which is usually a great spot to be...but it completely fell flat on its face in Feb/Mar

That was not the best time for a snow weenie to move to Maine.  We got the nice 7.6" storm of 1/29/73 less than a week after we arrived, but it was not until nearly 3 years later (12/18/75) that our downtown BGR apartment had even one 8"+ storm in DJFM.  (We did get 3 storms 8"+ in the shoulder seasons, 4/74, 11/74, and a sleety foot in 4/75.)

27 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Nov 72.. the time we were born. My mom told me there was snow OTG in NNJ late that month. Did they get a good snowfall too?

27 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Nov 72.. the time we were born. My mom told me there was snow OTG in NNJ late that month. Did they get a good snowfall too?

Yeah there was...Nov '72 was epically cold. Probably tricked everyone into thinking it would be a harsh, cold/snowy winter. Joke's on them.

This winter is gonna be an interesting one to track I think. We once again have very rapid snow cover growth in Siberia early on...and the SSTs in the N PAC are not really extreme -PDO, so I'm wondering if we get a bit more western ridging than typical in a La Nina.

1 minute ago, LoveSN+ said:

I'm in Albany. I know it's not really New England but the upstate NY thread isn't very active and I'm close to New England.

And before?   Albany should do well this year I think but they do suffer from a lot of shadowing from mountains.  

I was in Urbana-Champaign for my B.S. at the University of Illinois. Only got about 20 inches of snow the past two years there. I've heard of a couple mesoscale features, such as the downslope, that effect snowfall in Albany in the winter. Another one is the effect of the Hudson River valley. It can channel colder air into the valley and some claim it makes for enhanced bands. Orographics really can play a big role in jackpot zones up here, so it will be something I'll have to get used to. Central Illinois is as flat as a table top.

55 minutes ago, LoveSN+ said:

I was in Urbana-Champaign for my B.S. at the University of Illinois. Only got about 20 inches of snow the past two years there. I've heard of a couple mesoscale features, such as the downslope, that effect snowfall in Albany in the winter. Another one is the effect of the Hudson River valley. It can channel colder air into the valley and some claim it makes for enhanced bands. Orographics really can play a big role in jackpot zones up here, so it will be something I'll have to get used to. Central Illinois is as flat as a table top.

Mohawk-Hudson convergence I think is what you are describing , doesn't seem to happen a ton, but pretty cool meso feature.  Some on here are probably more familiar with that feature than me. I recall it a few times last winter.

3 minutes ago, backedgeapproaching said:

Mohawk-Hudson convergence I think is what you are describing , doesn't seem to happen a ton, but pretty cool meso feature.  Some on here are probably more familiar with that feature than me. I recall it a few times last winter.

Ah yes, this is absolutely correct. Still getting familiar with the local geography and effects on weather around here!

Albany is def a much better spot for snow than where you came from...though there will be times you get frustrated at downslope there. But it's a pretty solid snow climo overall. They average a bit over 60" per season.  We have regular posters from near ALB that post here in our forum. They often share the same snow events. In years with a lot of clippers and overrunning they will be very similar in a lot of events. 

Probably gonna drive over to Lake Ontario area when we get a nice cold air dome coming down. Might try and go up into the Adirondacks when the first flakes are supposed to fly as well. Like many on here, snow is my favorite type of sensible weather and I'm excited to be living in the northeast for the first time in my life, simply for the snow prospects. :weenie:

8 minutes ago, LoveSN+ said:

Probably gonna drive over to Lake Ontario area when we get a nice cold air dome coming down. Might try and go up into the Adirondacks when the first flakes are supposed to fly as well. Like many on here, snow is my favorite type of sensible weather and I'm excited to be living in the northeast for the first time in my life, simply for the snow prospects. :weenie:

Places like up around Saranac Lake and the tug hill should see their first flakes within the next 2-3 weeks. Usually once we get a good upper level low with 850 temps below about -5 or -6C you'll see them get orographic flakes and maybe some LES. If it's a really warm October though then once in a while you'll have to wait until November up there. 

But even right in ALB, you will see first flakes in October almost half the time. (41 out of the past 85 years). Last year they actually had accumulating snow in October...10/27. 

1 hour ago, LoveSN+ said:

Ah yes, this is absolutely correct. Still getting familiar with the local geography and effects on weather around here!

I grew up around Albany and you'll often see the Hudson Valley convergence set up on departing nor'easters when the winds go northerly with residual moisture present.  The best is if you can get it associated with a deformation band as it'll just keep snowing longer than other areas.  

I've also seen it enhance snow squalls coming down the Mohawk Valley.

Really the only time orographics screw Albany, is with a long duration easterly flow event.  Like a cut-off low that just keeps a due easterly fetch.  You'll see like dim sun through the clouds while the east slopes of the Catskills get 12"+.  As soon as it goes NEly though the precip will ramp back up.

Although the Catskills are SW of ALB, I never really saw any negative downsloping experiences from that direction.  It's almost all easterly flow where you see it.  I think I'm SW flow events, the lift is usually WAA aloft and orographics don't have as much of an impact in those overrunning situations.  They are pretty evenly distributed regardless of terrain.  It's the same up here in Northern VT where everything is orographically influenced it seems.  SWFE from mid-level WAA is very evenly distributed and doesn't usually feature any pronounced orographic max/mins in precip totals.

It's amazing that as soon as fall rolls around the pattern we've been in all summer, i.e. trough in the east and ridge in the west, decides to flip. Don't see much sign of that changing in the 8-14 day either, after looking at the EPS and GEFS. I'm not really worried about winter under performing, but it makes you wonder if the seasons are developing some sort of time lag compared to the past few decades. 

Archived