Newest Member
    joxey
Countdown to Winter 2017-2018 Thread

eyewall

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Doesn't mean much.

We've been over this a hundred times from different posters, but those model types ...well, first of all, it should be incumbent upon the poster to at least research a modicum of background of what ever it is they are posting about.  This time, clearly that did not happen.  

In short, the GFDL system is based on the ocean-atmospheric coupling - which is very good. However, it doesn't do so hot when it comes to integrating Siberian air masses that end up in Hemispheric cold conveyors... In fact, it doesn't handle polarward mass-field modulations at middle latitudes very well at all.

That is usage of that product in a kind of immature "see, told ya so" use could not be any more uninformed and idiotic.  It's not just for the above reasons... but, that same took forecast that same look prior to 2013 and 2015, and look what happened those years... I mean, there's not 'see told ya' there.

45 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

The logic behind this post gives me a brain cramp.  

A below normal July and August leads to a mild February the following winter, if I'm reading that right?

45 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

A below normal July and August leads to a mild February the following winter, if I'm reading that right?

You're not . It's DJF 

2 minutes ago, JC-CT said:
4 minutes ago, Cold Miser said:
lol.  Why? is it going to be that kind of a winter?  I hope not. 

No such thing as being too prepared.

True, although Kevin's crystal ball map up there with the magical prediction for AN met winter temps has the winter train already derailing it's only September. lol

True, although Kevin's crystal ball map up there with the magical prediction for AN met winter temps has the winter train already derailing it's only September. lol

I heard that local mets secretly give his winter forecast 25% weighting when making their own forecasts.

On 9/4/2017 at 6:18 PM, powderfreak said:

No - the logic is that if you root for a cool summer it makes it mild in the winter.  It's that a cool summer makes for a mild winter but just the act of wishing or wanting one makes it happen.

17 hours ago, Cold Miser said:

It's coming....

0906171854~2.jpg

I actually fired up my snowblower over the weekend.  It's not that I needed it, but I like to run my engines (generator, chain saw, etc.) periodically just to keep things moving.  The thing started right up...it's ready!

13 hours ago, JC-CT said:
13 hours ago, Cold Miser said:

I heard that local mets secretly give his winter forecast 25% weighting when making their own forecasts.

I laughed 

1 hour ago, MetHerb said:

No - the logic is that if you root for a cool summer it makes it mild in the winter.  It's that a cool summer makes for a mild winter but just the act of wishing or wanting one makes it happen.

I actually fired up my snowblower over the weekend.  It's not that I needed it, but I like to run my engines (generator, chain saw, etc.) periodically just to keep things moving.  The thing started right up...it's ready!

Always be prepared for the 800hr CFS snowstorm.

792hrsnow.png

The 00z Euro was warm as hell for most of the U.S.. from after D 3 ...pretty much right out to the end of that run.  Although, some lucky +9 C, 850 mb synoptically tucked air (much like the atmosphere has been stuck doing to us since April for that matter) does keep us sort of normalized there.  Otherwise, that was a warm ass look through D10.  

On 9/4/2017 at 6:18 PM, powderfreak said:

you don't have to go that far back to debunk that...2014 have a cooler July and August and a very cold January February the next winter...

42 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Uh oh

Some of us have been hitting the Nina train in here for over a month now...it's been trending that way.

We can do very well though in Ninas...esp when PDO is struggling to go neg. (think '00-'01, '95-'96, '83-'84 for some examples)...and we can certainly do well in Ninas with a big -PDO anyway...2010-2011, 2008-2009, 2007-2008, etc...we'll have a better idea in another month to 8 weeks.

Archived