• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
The Lawn, Garden, Fishing, Things You Do In Warm Weather Thread!

mackerel_sky

10 hours ago, griteater said:

Mack and Powerstroke, I didn't realize that pre-emergent was used for broadleaf weeds. Can you get that kind at Lowes or does it have to be at a specialty lawn shop? I.e. Is it part of std pre-emergent?

That's probably pretty specialized, might have to go to like a feed and seed type of store, where they sell heavier duty agricultural stuff

12 hours ago, griteater said:

Cold Rain, I agree with the Pack's and Mack's of the forum, but one thing - is the spot near big trees? Turf and weeds will really struggle under the umbrella/near big trees. The trees seem to suck up not only the majority of the groundwater, but my own theory is that they suck up all of the nutrients as well. You might consider just mulching it if possible. Big trees and grass simply don't mix. This is crazy, don't we have some warm noses to analyze?

I read somewhere that a large Oak tree can remove 300+ gallons of water a day from the surrounding soil.

21 minutes ago, mackerel_sky said:

Yeah, could have been a walnut tree there at some point?? So much acid in the nuts, nothing can grow under walnut trees!

I have had those spots. I usually remove all the dirt to 8 inches of depth and replace with suitable topsoil with a known PH. I once found a 4x8 sheet of OSB  6 inches below the surface.

15 hours ago, griteater said:

Cold Rain, I agree with the Pack's and Mack's of the forum, but one thing - is the spot near big trees? Turf and weeds will really struggle under the umbrella/near big trees. The trees seem to suck up not only the majority of the groundwater, but my own theory is that they suck up all of the nutrients as well. You might consider just mulching it if possible. Big trees and grass simply don't mix. This is crazy, don't we have some warm noses to analyze?

Both of the big areas of dirt are near or between trees.  That said, I have plenty of other adjacent areas in a similar situation to trees (and even the same trees), where weeds and grass grow.  I will throw down some compost and top soil and see what happens.

30 minutes ago, Cold Rain said:

Both of the big areas of dirt are near or between trees.  That said, I have plenty of other adjacent areas in a similar situation to trees (and even the same trees), where weeds and grass grow.  I will throw down some compost and top soil and see what happens.

Years back, the state threw out Bermuda grass seed along the right-of-way of my house. It has since spread over a majority of my yard. I love it. It's drought tolerant and doesn't grow that high. Most importantly, it grows everywhere. No more bare spots.  

34 minutes ago, Cold Rain said:

Plant a crape myrtle or a nice juniper in the center , and mulch the rest of the circle! Those are the 2 toughest trees that popped in my head! You can find crape myrtle , from 3'-40' tall and just about any color flower! I promise you there are some cool junipers, but I bet you plant a blue rug juniper there, and it will thrive! You could plant those in cement , and they would grow!

These need full bright sun for atleast six hours, so if the other trees are blocking the sun, you need a plan B

2 minutes ago, FallsLake said:

Years back, the state threw out Bermuda grass seed along the right-of-way of my house. It has since spread over a majority of my yard. I love it. It's drought tolerant and doesn't grow that high. Most importantly, it grows everywhere. No more bare spots.  

Yep, spread by stolons and will take over fescue and bluegrass, in a heart beat! And loves heat! RAH and surrounding areas, use to be in an area where fescue would do well, but given the last few years, with our very warm winters, RAH has a zone 9 climate now! :(

15 minutes ago, mackerel_sky said:

Yep, spread by stolons and will take over fescue and bluegrass, in a heart beat! And loves heat! RAH and surrounding areas, use to be in an area where fescue would do well, but given the last few years, with our very warm winters, RAH has a zone 9 climate now! :(

Just waiting for the fire ants to become more established. I know they're already in this area but currently have a hard time surviving the winters.

16 hours ago, griteater said:

Yes!  It is stupid that this is the only active thread on February 14.  Just depressing.  Or as Pack would say, solid B+!

31 minutes ago, mackerel_sky said:

Plant a crape myrtle or a nice juniper in the center , and mulch the rest of the circle! Those are the 2 toughest trees that popped in my head! You can find crape myrtle , from 3'-40' tall and just about any color flower! I promise you there are some cool junipers, but I bet you plant a blue rug juniper there, and it will thrive! You could plant those in cement , and they would grow!

These need full bright sun for atleast six hours, so if the other trees are blocking the sun, you need a plan B

Just did an area this way with a black Crepe Myrtle.

17 minutes ago, FallsLake said:

Just waiting for the fire ants to become more established. I know they're already in this area but currently have a hard time surviving the winters.

Those things are the scourge of the earth! They've been here atleast 15 years! Discovered them the hard way when I first bought our house!

15 minutes ago, frazdaddy said:

Just did an area this way with a black Crepe Myrtle.

Those things look awesome! Just bought one (dormant) can't wait to see the dark leaves and see if they hold the dark color in heat/humidity! Bought one called "Burgandy Cotton" with white flowers years ago, it's almost all green leaves by July

5 minutes ago, mackerel_sky said:

Those things are the scourge of the earth! They've been here atleast 15 years! Discovered them the hard way when I first bought our house!

I've had them off and on for the last five years. I haven't done much to stop them, but I'll see a mound one year and then the next it's gone. Again I'm not sure if the winters are killing them off or the red clay soil I have (or combination of both).  

7 minutes ago, FallsLake said:

I've had them off and on for the last five years. I haven't done much to stop them, but I'll see a mound one year and then the next it's gone. Again I'm not sure if the winters are killing them off or the red clay soil I have (or combination of both).  

It's the cold , the red clay doesn't slow them down a bit!! They get sneaky sometimes and make mounds in mulch or in containers and you can see the mounds as easily!

1 hour ago, mackerel_sky said:

Those things look awesome! Just bought one (dormant) can't wait to see the dark leaves and see if they hold the dark color in heat/humidity! Bought one called "Burgandy Cotton" with white flowers years ago, it's almost all green leaves by July

Same here State red blooms. Can't wait to see them over the black leaves.

3 hours ago, Cold Rain said:

Yeah, I need someone to come in and seed the whole yard with Bermuda.

Bermuda is easy to grow and loves heat, but it will not grow in shady areas...it requires full or mostly full sun. 

Bermuda is the #1 enemy in fescue lawns.  As they saying goes, the only way to get rid of bermuda is to move (as in move to another house).  You can put roundup on it, and it will still come back.  Maybe Powerstroke has something for it.

48 minutes ago, griteater said:

Bermuda is easy to grow and loves heat, but it will not grow in shady areas...it requires full or mostly full sun. 

Bermuda is the #1 enemy in fescue lawns.  As they saying goes, the only way to get rid of bermuda is to move (as in move to another house).  You can put roundup on it, and it will still come back.  Maybe Powerstroke has something for it.

Also,CR, Bermuda sod is a quicker way! I've taken patches out of my yard, when digging a bed or etc, and dug out a little bare spot somewhere else, plant it even, like patching carpet, keep it wet for a week or two, and takes off from there!

19 hours ago, mackerel_sky said:

Also,CR, Bermuda sod is a quicker way! I've taken patches out of my yard, when digging a bed or etc, and dug out a little bare spot somewhere else, plant it even, like patching carpet, keep it wet for a week or two, and takes off from there!

I have Emerald Zoysia in my backyard and love it. Very drought tolerant and fills in any gaps and chokes out weeds. Only problem is it sends out runners so it can get in your beds pretty quick. 

On 2/13/2017 at 10:15 AM, mackerel_sky said:

Don't know why nothing will grow, just might be really poor dirt. I'd put down 2 bags of mushroom compost and take it/ mix it with the top two or three inches of dirt , over the whole area of each bad spot, should help atleast get some weeds going! What kind of grass is your yard!?

Take a soil sample and see what it shows.  The soil looks weak

On 2/13/2017 at 6:56 PM, griteater said:

Mack and Powerstroke, I didn't realize that pre-emergent was used for broadleaf weeds. Can you get that kind at Lowes or does it have to be at a specialty lawn shop? I.e. Is it part of std pre-emergent?

Sorry I haven't been on here.  We use dimension and barricade and they are found at Site One.  I recommend the split app which is one now and another in April.  There are an abundance of weeds already growing due to the warm winter but should eliminate others if you spray and pre emerge now.

www.sharpedgelawncare.com    or fb sharp edge lawncare & Management