• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
The Lawn, Garden, Fishing, Things You Do In Warm Weather Thread!

mackerel_sky

On 6/16/2018 at 7:34 PM, SharonA said:

Welcome to the joys of BGE ownership!  LoveloveLOVE mine!  Pricey but it was worth every penny.  I went to the Atlanta EggToberFest several years ago out of curiousity about BGEs, bought a demo, and called husband to tell him to clear a path from garage to back deck, be prepared for some heavy lifting, and by the way he was off the hook, he'd just bought me a Big Green Egg for anniversary, birthday, and Christmas that year.

His coworkers the next week:  "Surrrrrrre she wanted it for her birthday.  What are you getting her next, an outboard motor?"

What kind of gasket do you have on it? That picture didn't look like the usual factory-felt or silver-gray high-temp replacement.

One suggestion - move that puppy further away from the siding.  The heat that comes off of them can get very intense and they stay hot for a long time (which is great when you are doing 800F sears and quick fired-pizzas).  I've seen many a photo of siding that was discovered to be warped when they moved the Egg for cleaning or whatever.

Downside:  It's ruined us for going to to fancy steakhouse dinners.  When my team was taken out to Morton's, I found myself realizing the steak we'd grilled at home the previous weekend was much tastier than the $50+ cut they were buying us.  Now when I have to eat out I find I'm always analyzing the meal with an eye towards "what did I like / what was neat here that we could try at home?".

Thank you and Indeed! Moved it mainly for the smoke pool under the overhang, Hardy plank siding handled the heat ok but the smoke ran us off the porch. Out door kitchen going in soon behind the BGE in the first picture above. I got my xl egg used and unloved. I rebuilt it as the hinges were bent and gasket shot. The gasket is the OEM BGE replacement. Having a lot of fun with it for sure. The above is yesterdays 12 lb pork belly burnt end cook with a Hawaiian twist from a recipe off the BGE forum. It is a is a great source of info and technique.

PS, note to Mr. Burns. I have decided to add a mini BGE to our equipment load out for our next Snow chase. 

• 7 months later...
On 2/5/2019 at 10:07 AM, Reedski said:

With the warmup this week, should I go ahead and put down preemergent? Seems so early but can’t miss that window.

Our usual date to apply by is 2/15. I put mine down yesterday in Mt Pleasant, SC. Soil temp is already moving past 55 here especially areas in full sun. We've been 75-80 for 4 days now. I'm seeing new green shoots of grass appearing. There is a large window to get it down early, but if you are late, it's ineffective. Do it now and follow up again in 8-10 weeks.

On 2/7/2019 at 9:49 AM, scwxguy said:

Our usual date to apply by is 2/15. I put mine down yesterday in Mt Pleasant, SC. Soil temp is already moving past 55 here especially areas in full sun. We've been 75-80 for 4 days now. I'm seeing new green shoots of grass appearing. There is a large window to get it down early, but if you are late, it's ineffective. Do it now and follow up again in 8-10 weeks.

Thanks. I put mine down yesterday before the rain today. 

When do you typically put it down in the fall? I put it down late September and again December 1 and my yard is still eat up with chickweed this spring. Guess I’ll try putting it down in August this year.

48 minutes ago, Reedski said:

Thanks. I put mine down yesterday before the rain today. 

When do you typically put it down in the fall? I put it down late September and again December 1 and my yard is still eat up with chickweed this spring. Guess I’ll try putting it down in August this year.

If you are seeing issues try getting it down earlier and check the product you are using.

I put down Dimension (Dithiopyr) 20% granules from a local landscape supply store - in early February, follow up again in 8-12 weeks and then do the same at Labor Day and in early November. I've followed their advice and had great results. I've been doing it 4 times a year recently but I inherited a mess. I had dandelions, chickweed, henbit, poa annual in the winter and crabgrass and spurges in the summer. Now I have no winter weeds and practically no crab grass and spurges after 18 months of this treatment. Will likely reduce to 2x per year this fall to once in the fall at Labor Day and early Feb now that I have things under control. The grass has filled back in and looks great. I have mostly St Augustine in my front yard and Empire Zoysia in the back.

The key is to get the stuff down ahead of the weed seeds germinating. Get a quality product from a local landscape supply center and avoid Scott's and other things at the Big Box stores. It's worth the few extra bucks - really not that much more at all - for a quality product.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, scwxguy said:

If you are seeing issues try getting it down earlier and check the product you are using.

I put down Dimension (Dithiopyr) 20% granules from a local landscape supply store - in early February, follow up again in 8-12 weeks and then do the same at Labor Day and in early November. I've followed their advice and had great results. I've been doing it 4 times a year recently but I inherited a mess. I had dandelions, chickweed, henbit, poa annual in the winter and crabgrass and spurges in the summer. Now I have no winter weeds and practically no crab grass and spurges after 18 months of this treatment. Will likely reduce to 2x per year this fall to once in the fall at Labor Day and early Feb now that I have things under control. The grass has filled back in and looks great. I have mostly St Augustine in my front yard and Empire Zoysia in the back.

The key is to get the stuff down ahead of the weed seeds germinating. Get a quality product from a local landscape supply center and avoid Scott's and other things at the Big Box stores. It's worth the few extra bucks - really not that much more at all - for a quality product.

Awesome thanks for your help. I’ll check out a landscape supply store and get it out earlier this fall.  Been using something from Lowe’s. 

• 1 month later...

Well, I had to break down and mow my weed yard today after strong encouragement from my wife. A bit earlier than usual but I have to admit it looks a lot better than it did before I mowed it. It seems that the non-mowing season is getting shorter every year.

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, jburns said:

Well, I had to break down and mow my weed yard today after strong encouragement from my wife. A bit earlier than usual but I have to admit it looks a lot better than it did before I mowed it. It seems that the non-mowing season is getting shorter every year.

If it weren’t for the weeds, mine wouldn’t need it, lol!

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, mackerel_sky said:

If it weren’t for the weeds, mine wouldn’t need it, lol!

Eh it all mows the same.

Cut it your desire height from a distance looks like a nice green lawnB):drunk:

On a side note summer beginning to come full force.

Azaleas have finished blooming here.:whistle:

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 6/11/2019 at 12:40 PM, yotaman said:

Must be nice to have the AT around your neighborhood! Great pictures.

You have no idea just how grateful I am to live here.  It's nothing like Central SC.   This was Tuesday, looking South towards Asheville.  The Black Mountains and Mitchell are in the distance on the left. 

LRM_EXPORT_93166522370145_20190613_151859764.jpeg

• Like 3