• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
The Lawn, Garden, Fishing, Things You Do In Warm Weather Thread!

mackerel_sky

1 hour ago, griteater said:

That's definitely bermudagrass in the middle part of your top image.  And that surely looks like straight up crabgrass in the bottom image.  I would go with the cheapest weedkiller you can find...they basically have the same ingredients.  But for those 2, I would use Roundup (or any cheaper, knockoff brand - ingredient is glyphosate).  Roundup is going to kill everything you spray it on...of course, as mentioned before, the Bermuda is likely to come back.  There are sprays specifically for crabgrass, but I've found they don't work that well, or work slowly and require multiple applications.  If it were me, I'd just kill off the crabgrass with roundup, then reseed those areas in Sept...put out your crabgrass preventer in Feb/early Mar, a little heavier in the troublesome areas.  The thing about lawns is that the better your grass gets, the less maintenance / spraying it will require.  It takes a few years to get there though.

Or just go with sod, for that instant, finished look! Or just go grass free! Plant a ground cover and a bunch of trees, shrubs and flowers! Skip the grass all together!

• 4 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, Cold Rain said:

Is they're any way to eradicate fire ants from your yard?  I have that Ortho stuff that kills the mounds that pop up, but the huge, elaborate colony underground still remains.  Is there reliable method for killing them off other than moving?

That broadcast granules that you put over the whole yard with a spreader, is supposed to work . Over and Out and others are suppose to be good. Bayer stuff is good if they make anything! There's a white powder that I've used that smells like sulphur , you can really get at a feed and seed type store. It works really good for mounds. Really kills the whole mound 

49 minutes ago, mackerel_sky said:

That broadcast granules that you put over the whole yard with a spreader, is supposed to work . Over and Out and others are suppose to be good. Bayer stuff is good if they make anything! There's a white powder that I've used that smells like sulphur , you can really get at a feed and seed type store. It works really good for mounds. Really kills the whole mound 

Thanks man.  I have no problem killing the mounds, but I'm sick of doing it every other day.  There must be millions of them underground.  Maybe I'll get some of the broadcast stuff.  Just sucks to have yet another thing to consume time.

I eliminated them here w/out baiting but it is fairly manual.

I set up a sprinkler-head hose overhead that like a light-moderate rain to saturate the mound and flood a bit underneath (amazing how much water it can take!).  Turned the thing off and the colony quickly rebuilt an above-ground mound and moved the queen(s) and eggs up there.  Then I scoop up the entire above-ground mound with a shovel and plop it into a bucket half-full of water to which a good squirt of dishwashing liquid had been added to break up the surface tension.  Sometimes I don't get the queen and have to do it again later.

Depending upon how sensitive you are to their bites, you may want to have the hose on and immediately wash off the handle of the shovel before the ants crawl up it to  your hands (and remember to back away)

That worked in Texas, too, but they'd come back from neighboring yards after a few months.  Ongoing battle.

On 8/25/2017 at 6:52 AM, Cold Rain said:

Is they're any way to eradicate fire ants from your yard?  I have that Ortho stuff that kills the mounds that pop up, but the huge, elaborate colony underground still remains.  Is there reliable method for killing them off other than moving?

We don't have fire ants here, but termidor is the best product for ants period. You can buy it online at doityourselfpestcontrol. Com

• 2 weeks later...

I have to have a talk with the hornets taking up residence in the hose hanger behind the bushes. I need to trim their privacy fence but they keep trying to sting me :( 

In other news.....my weed lawn looks amazing, the rest of the bushes are all trimmed up, summer flowers are blooming brightly and I don't have enough feeders for all of the humming birds  :lol:  

• Like 1

Had my first success at growing Watermelons this year after a couple of years struggling to get them to produce. I figured out that my city water is very low in calcium, and subsequently watermelons need abundant calcium available in the soil to avoid blossom rot. So this year I periodically top dressed the soil with gypsum and managed to grow one melon that weighed 18.5lbs! Needless to say I was stoked. It was very tasty and now I am watching a few more mature!

17d1c7b5d7834e494827ff8dcf16169f.jpg

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/1/2018 at 3:39 PM, frazdaddy said:

Mama bought me a new toy. I thought I knew something about grilling. Wife says up to this point I've just been cooking outdoors. Lo and slow for 6 hrs. BGE is the real deal!

Welcome to the joys of BGE ownership!  LoveloveLOVE mine!  Pricey but it was worth every penny.  I went to the Atlanta EggToberFest several years ago out of curiousity about BGEs, bought a demo, and called husband to tell him to clear a path from garage to back deck, be prepared for some heavy lifting, and by the way he was off the hook, he'd just bought me a Big Green Egg for anniversary, birthday, and Christmas that year.

His coworkers the next week:  "Surrrrrrre she wanted it for her birthday.  What are you getting her next, an outboard motor?"

What kind of gasket do you have on it? That picture didn't look like the usual factory-felt or silver-gray high-temp replacement.

One suggestion - move that puppy further away from the siding.  The heat that comes off of them can get very intense and they stay hot for a long time (which is great when you are doing 800F sears and quick fired-pizzas).  I've seen many a photo of siding that was discovered to be warped when they moved the Egg for cleaning or whatever.

Downside:  It's ruined us for going to to fancy steakhouse dinners.  When my team was taken out to Morton's, I found myself realizing the steak we'd grilled at home the previous weekend was much tastier than the $50+ cut they were buying us.  Now when I have to eat out I find I'm always analyzing the meal with an eye towards "what did I like / what was neat here that we could try at home?".